Print

Author Topic: Capcom Crossover Character Content Controversy  (Read 9461 times)

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 06:52:08 PM »
1) Capcom puts the DLC on the disc, everyone can see anything online, you don't have to fill your harddrive with the megabytes, thousands of threads like this are made across the Internet
2) Capcom keeps the DLC secret until later, you have to download it all for online compatibility whether you buy it or not, people excitedly post about the "new stuff" coming out

2b. People complain that they can't get it because their Internet is archaic, and it's the game companies fault for not putting their entertainment on the disk.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 10:38:08 PM »
It's my opinion that DLC should consist of things that, for one reason or another, could not make it into the retail game. Popular demand from players? Things they wanted to have in the game but really couldn't due to time constraints? Ideas the team came up with late? Three discs and still not everything fit? Those are good reasons. You shouldn't be planning and finishing DLC and arranging for it to be so before the game is released.

That's just how I feel, as an artist. Make a masterpiece and share it with the world. Make it so good that they'll be playing it long after you're dead. But it seems all anyone is interested in doing today is making disposable games for here and now. Who cares if Final Fantasy 20 isn't done? Sell it by Christmas, promise the rest will be downloadable later. Make a good long list of what to leave out, so you can sell the Awesome Edition next year and make twice the money.

At least Nintendo seems to know what I mean...
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 10:54:36 PM »
I too consider myself an artist, and I expect fully to be paid for work I put in. In fact, for most of history that people have been paying for art, it's been done with the money put up before the work is started.  Or died hungry.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 12:44:25 AM »
I don't understand why the act itself of putting the DLC on the retail disc is what people usually go ballistic about. Doing this is a good thing, for the exact reasons Capcom stated.

The problem isn't just that the content is on-disc. The problem with Street Fighter x Tekken in particular is that the content is on-disc, complete and ready to use, but no one except pirates and people with modded consoles can use it until after the Vita release, which is at least six months from now.

This is made worse by their reasoning, not better. Not the "no one has to download stuff to play online" thing, which makes enough sense. I mean the "breathe new life into the game" line. Disregarding the fact that this is PR speak for "make us more money," this to me says they don't think the game is strong enough on its existing merits to survive for six months after release—logical for something ultra-mainstream like yet another Call of Duty clone, but silly for a fighting game—and that the correct way to solve this is to have expansion content ready to go at launch.

Really, all of it makes me glad I don't have any interest in playing Street Fighter x Tekken, a crossover involving a series I don't like and a series that bores me.

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 01:36:48 PM »
Would you prefer they keep the DLC plans secret for six months until right before it releases, or be honest about it like they are right now?

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 02:33:32 PM »
Hahaha, if I was an evil Capcom exec, I'd read this whole thread as "we have to do a better job of keeping this [dukar] secret" rather than "we have to change our ways."  We might not always agree with their methods, but businesses are out to make money.  You can hate 'em all you want, but if they're making their numbers, they don't give a [dukar].  Look at George Lucas!
Haters gonna hate

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 04:13:09 PM »
You can't keep these things secret. They were already doing as much as they could. Someone's gonna peel the disc image apart no matter what.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 04:17:33 PM »
The first step of keeping it secret would be "Don't put it on the disc".

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 06:38:08 PM »
Honestly, yes, I think not having it on disc and not announcing anything about it until right before the Vita version releases would've been a far better move on Capcom's part. Then no one has it until Capcom says they're supposed to, rather than only pirates and hackers having it until the official release. (Incidentally, this "pirates have it better than paying users" situation is going to be even worse on PC, unless Capcom specifically avoids including those characters' data in the PC version.)

Also, we'd all be better off if companies would stop signing timed-exclusivity deals, especially involving games on a platform that's all but dead on arrival.

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 01:56:03 AM »
Ahhh, sweet sweet justice.

Such a shame that a crossover with so much potential was devastated by some greedy business move. But maybe this is the kick in the pants they need to realize customers aren't stupid.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2012, 03:22:28 AM »
I don't see this "devastation".

Print