Print

Author Topic: Mario or Super Mario?  (Read 4757 times)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« on: September 24, 2002, 10:58:52 PM »
I was just thinking about the last few games. Do you realize that the last game in which Mario got Super Mushrooms was SMW? In SM64 and SMS, he hasn't been Super Mario, he's just been Mario... what do you think?
He's half as tall as Peach, just as normal Mario was in the 2D games. So, this supports what I am saying... hey, why am I arguing my point? No one has even disputed it yet!
That was a joke.

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2002, 11:19:35 PM »
I like the way you think.  I agree with you.
I think they aught to make him become super mario again too.  They could have done this in SM64 as a cap instead of the caps they did come up with.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2002, 11:39:22 PM »
Yeah, but the caps they did come up with were cool anyway... I think they must like alliteration... I mean, the words of the past two titles have had repeated Ss in them... it makes for a cool title... that's why the titles still say "Super"... of course, he's called "Super Mario" even if he's not super, sometimes...
Which brings up "Super Mario Bros.", where, I believe, they originally had it only meaning "Upgraded" Mario Bros.... as in better than "Mario Bros." Heh, I'm thinking too hard.
That was a joke.

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2002, 03:08:13 PM »
Super Mario is "Regular Mario". Regular Mario (no quotes) is the three feet tall Mario.

-------
Weekly Frostbite Quote #2:

"It`s no coincidence they built the bar next to the small houses."

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2002, 07:28:53 PM »
Well, in Super Smash Brothers, Mario's show-off is him growing larger and doing the sound affect. But it only lasts about two seconds. Growing larger wouldn't play a part in today's Mario games. In Super Mario Sunshine, your health is multiple no matter what, and it's based on a sun. I can't remember SM64, but I remember there being no one-hit-death. And SSB... Well, DUH, no mushroom needed there. It could have been one of the health-enhancement items at least...

I have to know so much about every game... I can't know or remember everything! BACK OFF, PAL!
I have to know so much about every game... I can't know or remember everything! BACK OFF, PAL!

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2002, 08:08:30 PM »
Maybe Nintendo thought that the whole doubling-size thing would be too hard to program and plan games for on the 3-D systems. Maybe they decided to give players more hits with the life meter system so that the games could be harder. Or maybe hissy parents were getting mad over the apparent drug reference. I think they kept "Super" in Mario's title just because it's a kewler name for a hero.

"Like the moon over
 the day, my genius and brawn
 are lost on these fools."
       -Bowser, SMRPG

Sometimes I dream about being carried off by a giant squirrel...Does that make me a nut?
Sometimes I dream about being carried off by a giant squirrel...Does that make me a nut?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2002, 10:33:45 PM »
Mario (without Super Mushroom) is 4'5".
Mario (with Super Mushroom) is around 5'.
That's why in the 3D games, he's shorter than Peach, and in the 2D games when he's normal Mario, he's shorter than Peach.
I guess people call him Super Mario even when he's not "Super" Mario.
Hmm. He WAS as tall as Peach in SMRPG... without a mushroom... but that explains why they list him as "Super Mario" in the intro. He's like permanently super in that game... yeah, that's why when he becomes "retro" Mario, he's in "Super" form, and if you think about it, in Paper Mario, he's short, right? And when he becomes retro Mario in that game, he's normal Mario... I'm trying to get this all straightened out in my head... so that's why I'm rambling.
That was a joke.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2002, 09:07:37 PM »
Super Mario Bros. 2 had a hit counter of sorts in the hearts you collected, and it still had short/regular Mario and tall/super Mario so I don't see why they couldn't of had sm64 and smss change from super mario to regular mario when his hit counter got low like happened in smb2.

I am actually working on making a game with a similiar heart counter with super and regular Mario in a 3d MarioRPG type game.

Edited by - Luigison on 9/26/2002 8:16:47 PM
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2002, 10:16:57 PM »
Well, you know, only the graphics changed, and the actual sprite was still 2 blocks tall.
Oh yeah, in SM64 and SMS, he is regular Mario so he couldn't shrink when his life was low.

Edited by - Chupperson Weird on 9/26/2002 9:18:22 PM
That was a joke.

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2002, 09:16:02 PM »
well, i think this has already been said but, i think the main reason that theres a health meter and no super mushrooms is cause everything is harder then it was in the original days. i mean, bowser isnt just blowing fire and throwing hammers anymore!!
"Tetris: the movie"
Yeah, I can see that. A guy throwing bricks out of a window for 2 hours.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2002, 09:38:45 PM »
Are you saying that's why the 3D games seem so easy to beat Bowser in?

Dexter, boy genius...Dexter, the cookie
That was a joke.

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2002, 04:55:38 PM »
no, what im saying is that Bowser, and many other enemies, are harder to beat than back in the olden days.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2002, 11:43:56 PM »
It doesn't seem that way to me... in SMB and SMB3, I've never gotten past 8-3.
Now, in any normal Mario game past SMW, I can creme him.

Dexter, boy genius...Dexter, the cookie
That was a joke.

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2002, 09:49:51 PM »
True, things were a bit harder whaen you only had one (or two) hits till your death. but, hey, lots of things have changed...

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2002, 09:58:30 PM »
Bowser is easy in SMB1 if you have a fire flower.

-------
Weekly Frostbite Quote #4:

Mom: I hear we’re going to war with Iraq.
Frostbite: So what? Iraq’s like a mile across. I could run across Iraq in ten minutes!
Sister: No Danny, that’s Iran!
[Both laugh]
Frostbite: Oh, I gotta write that down!
Sister: Yeah!
Frostbite: I ran across Iraq!
[Both laugh]

Print