Print

Author Topic: Nintendo's New Connectivision Hardware?  (Read 2896 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: January 19, 2004, 05:59:48 PM »
Nintendo registered and copyrighted something called Connectivision on 14 Jul 2003.

Nintendo has said they will unveil a "new and inovative" piece of hardware at E3 2004.

In recent Gameasutra interview with Satoru Iwata he said the new hardware will "enable fun and movement not seen before." And, “I expect it to become a third pillar, next to GameCube and Game Boy."

The Japanese newspaper, Mainichi Daily News, has reported that Nintendo will launch a new console system by the end of 2004. It will not be a successor to the GameCube or the GameBoy Advance, but a new product to coexist with the successor to the GameCube and GameBoy Advance.  Mainichi also says that it will communicate data wirelessly by radio like the wavebird.

This new connectivision may be the Chinese iQue renamed for international release with added wireless data transfer.

For more info see the article at http://www.cubed-3.co.uk/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1618

Does anyone here have other sources of info or speculation on this topic?
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2004, 07:05:07 PM »
I'm curious. What exactly is an iQue?

"Walk softly and carry a Super Scope."
"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2004, 07:27:22 PM »
The iQue is a "console" for China that plays both SNES and N64 games, and it is pretty much a controller, and u download the games from stores.
 n/a

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2004, 09:49:12 PM »
Thanks to Screech for the link to Nintendorks.com from which the following comes.

Nintendo president Satoru "****tease" Iwata has released another statement about the new mystery product that Nintendo has planned for late 2004.

"Games are stuck now. Game development is deadlocked today. Games have grown in pursuit of more beautiful graphics and more complex systems for 20 years, but that growth is no longer translating into success, and games have stopped selling. The situation won't change if we keep expanding in a conventional way. Instead, we want to offer a gameplay experience which players haven't encountered until now."
Sound familiar? Here's a comprehensive roundup of related quotes from interviews that Iwata has conducted with Nintendorks sister publications Mainichi Shimbun and Kyoto Shimbun:

"This product will enable fun and movement not seen before. I expect it to become a third pillar, next to Gamecube and Game Boy[® system]."

"We want to offer to customers a play experience that they've never had before. We're not expecting everyone to cheer following the announcement. It's okay if ten percent of the people say the product is 'interesting' and word spreads with people finding themselves wanting to try it."

"We want to make a game that returns to the point that anyone can play it. However, our company does not support a product that combines software and hardware into one. The product uses a platform, but it does not fit into the specifications of the current hardware platforms."

"We'll announce the new product in America in May. We use the phrase 'A product of a different nature' to describe the product, but the idea that anyone who plays it will find it interesting remains unchanged. It should be a hint to the next generation of hardware. This will be the year that we put up a serious fight with this new product."
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2004, 10:06:34 PM »
I don't think it will be the iQue or anything like the fan made pic at http://www.cubed-3.co.uk/staff/jesusraz/connectevision.jpg

I have several speculations:

1. A device that combines the functions of the DDR floormate and EyeToy.
2. A Lan or internet connectivity solutions for multiplayer games.
3. A controller that has motion technology similiar to that used in a GBA Kirby game so that it knows how you have the controller tilted and possibly where it is relative to the console or TV.
4. A optical mouse similiar to the light gun.
5. A color 3D system similiar to the Virtual Boy.
6. An updated wireless iQue that downloads games.

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2004, 11:49:43 PM »
I see what you're saying with "movement".

Man, I pray, I seriously PRAY that it is DDR/eyeview kind of thing. Music games would actually come out for Nintendo system!

P.S. That idea also suits the "not everyone may find it interesting but will later want to try it" quote. That's exactly how those kinds of games work.

my pathetic attempts at humor are fleeting

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2004, 12:14:42 AM »
I have said this before, but think of wearing 3D glasses while standing on a DDR type mat in front of your TV with an EyeToy type camera pointed at you and actually playing in a Mario 64 type environment.

They could even make the camera a Lakita Cam.  And give you special motion sensor Mario gloves.

Star Trek's Holo Deck here we come!

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2004, 03:00:23 PM »
That Game Boy picture is really cool! That and the Nexus are the greatest-looking phonies I've seen.
 Sorry if that was kind of off-topic.

================<[]====[]====[]>================
It''s hard to bargle nawdle zouss ? ? ?
With all these marbles in my mouth.

Edited by - Darth Danno on 1/22/2004 1:03:51 PM
Edited by - Darth Danno at T/H/X 11:38:4 EB

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2004, 07:53:37 PM »
Unless you have not heard by now, the new product Nintendo is creating is NOT a version of the iQue remade for worldwide release. Instead, it is an entirely new system that will coexist with the GameCube and Game Boy Advance.

This new system is called the Nintendo DS. It is a portable gaming system that uses two screens (hence the name Nintendo DS: "dual screens") and two seperate proccessors.

Go to Nintendojo.com for more information.

============================================
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2004, 03:47:36 PM »
Thanks, Captain Obvious.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2004, 10:31:32 PM »
Captain, it may still be like the iQue, but with 2 screens.  They have said that is will not use GBA cart, and will have some sort of downloadability.  In that way it is like the iQue.  Also they said that they have only released a very small amount of info on it.

Print