Print

Author Topic: Microsoft and Nintendo may actually beat Sony...  (Read 2521 times)

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« on: May 18, 2004, 09:36:39 AM »
I think Sony's PlayStation systems will eventually become less popular. Here are my reasons why:

More people are buying Xbox Live than PS2 online. More game companies are supporting Xbox Live (now EA Sports). Microsoft is also adding a ton of new features to Xbox Live (including video messaging).

The Nintendo DS is getting more respect than Sony's PSP. Nintendo is getting a lot of third-party support for the DS (over 100 game companies). Nintendo is making the DS easy to program, hence the name "Developer System". The DS also uses cheap-to-produce game cards, which means more games will be made for the DS! The Nintendo DS has more innovative features than Sony's PSP (touch screen capabilities, wireless networking, dual-screen displays, longer battery life).

Nintendo and Microsoft have said that they will cooperate more with game developers in order to make better games. Nintendo and Microsoft have also said that they will listen more to consumers (finally!).

I am really excited to see what the future holds for both Nintendo and Microsoft. With the amount of support they are getting, both companies may become more popular than Sony's PlayStation!
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 10:13:04 AM »
I think more people are buying Xbox Live because they already have PlayStation online.  And I always thought the DS stood for "Double Screen", not "Developer System."

"Oh, and Dexter, don''t let those nasty Grab-Ons getcha!"
"They are called Hang-Ons mother!  The ruthless Hang-On Empire!"
Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggy" until you can find a rock.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 11:43:47 AM »
Mario Maniac:
Make up your mind, is Microsoft doing good or not?
Actually, the PSP discs are still cheaper to make than NDS memory cards.  Discs are dirt cheap, while the memory cards are still made out of comparitively expensive silicon.
Also, PSP will have wireless capability (802.11b) even though they didn't demonstrate it at E3.

¥tterbiJúm:
DS stands for lots of things.
Why would they pay for multiple online services?  Do you mean they are switching over after switching systems?  Otherwise the logic makes no sense.  I don't think people are as likely to own both PS2 and XBox due to costs compared to one of those and GC.

Edited by - MEGAߥTE on 5/18/2004 11:31:20 AM

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 08:34:30 PM »
Although he's contradicting himself in past topics, Mario Maniac has a point. The DS did draw a larger crowd than PSP did, and X-Box LIVE is doing better than Playstation Online.

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 10:03:30 AM »
DS stands for Dual Screen, hasn't anyone read about it?

Do the Mario! Swing your arms from side to side, come on, it''s time to go do the Mario! Take one step, and then again, let''s do the Mario all together now! You got it! It''s the Mario! Do the Mario! Swing your arms from side to side, come on, it''s time to go do the Mario! Take one step, and then again! Let''s do the Mario altogether now! Come on now! Just like that!
Do the Mario! Swing your arms from side to side, come on, it''s time to go do the Mario! Take one step, and then again, let''s do the Mario all together now! You got it! It''s the Mario! Do the Mario! Swing your arms from side to side, come on, it''s time to go do the Mario! Take one step, and then again! Let''s do the Mario altogether now! Come on now! Just like that!

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 03:53:49 PM »
I thought "DS" stood for "[Darn] Straight."

"Never eat at a restaurant that enforces the 5-second rule."- Me
This is a secret coded message.

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 04:14:01 PM »
Apparently Nintendo said that it will be called the Nintendo DS but the DS won't stand for Dual Screen.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2004, 08:04:47 PM »
Read my post "Microsoft's new videogame strategy - HA!" for my final opinion on Microsoft in the videogame business.

I read an interesting article on www.xboxaddict.com that talked about Microsoft's future plans for their videogame systems. What I understand from the article is that Microsoft is planning on making games that are cross-compatible with a variety of different Microsoft products, not just Xbox. This means that you can play Microsoft games on the Windows PC, Windows Mobile, Xbox, and any other product Microsoft decides to make in the future...

Microsoft is clearly trying to monopolize the videogame industry with their game platforms (Xbox and Windows PC). They are using the videogame industry to draw more people into liking their products.

Yes, Sony and Nintendo are focused on the future of the videogame industry, but they are not as "ambitious" as Microsoft. Sony and Nintendo are not trying to dominate the entire game industry, they allow fair competition.

That is what I hate about Microsoft. Because of their unfair business practices, they are trying to dominate the videogame industry and rule over all competition. They did the same thing with the PC industry -- forcing people to use Windows as the standard operating system when they bought PC's.

The point of this post is, Microsoft has been accused for violating anti-trust laws many times. Their entry into the videogame industry is just another way for them to realize their dreams of corporate domination. Microsoft is a monopoly, that is the simplest way to describe them.

(Ironically, I am using Microsoft Windows. One day I will switch to Apple Macintosh... because I like Apple better than Microsoft.)
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Print