Print

Author Topic: Two-Way Viewing-Angle LCDs?  (Read 1745 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: July 15, 2005, 11:59:39 AM »
Could next gen consoles support "Two-Way Viewing-Angle" LCD?

Sharp has developed LCD screens that shows totally different images to people viewing the screen from different angles.  I think this has a lot of possiblities for gameing.  Imagine playing The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventure without needing a GameBoy Advance.  Since most people will not have an LCD screen with this technology there will have to be a alternative way to view two differnt screens.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=562&e=1&u=/ap/japan_double_display
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 12:17:45 PM »
I don't see it being immediately popular since the cost is approx. 2 times the cost of one screen-- just buy two screens!  I don't know if will be popular enough by next gen for consoles to support both angles, either... and you'd have to move to play the other half of your game... that sort of defeats the purpose of connectivity.  What it would be good for is multiplayer games like Mario Kart where the screen is normally divided; you could seat twice the number of people that way.

Edited by - MegaByte on 7/15/2005 11:21:14 AM

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 04:41:29 PM »
What if the next gen GameBoy had a Two-Way Viewing-Angle LCD screen?  Would it be easier to tilt the GameBoy to see a different view of the gameplay, map, inventory, etc. or to push buttons/button combinations.

Edited by - Luigison on 7/15/2005 6:30:29 PM
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 09:15:51 PM »
Tilting would be easier, but they'd have to make it so the main screen was when the system was not tilted either direction. I wouldn't want to spend the majority of my playing time with the handheld ****ed to one side.

"That Mormon almost destroyed my left hand." ~TEM

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005, 06:16:25 PM »
Even so, that can (and should) be done in software.  Think about it:  There's nothing stopping the same functionality from being used in a GBA game... sans tilting.

From my understanding, two-way LCDs are more of a novelty.  It's a cool concept but doesn't strike me as practical.

Edited by - DeadAwake on 7/16/2005 5:17:19 PM

Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

Print