Print

Author Topic: Tetris DS marathon  (Read 5725 times)

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« on: March 25, 2006, 01:36:01 AM »
One of the broken gameplay mechanics included in Tetris DS was the ability to rotate pieces forever.  Because of this, endless mode really is endless... there's nothing holding you back from playing other than tedium.  Yesterday, I began a Tetris marathon.  I found that after I got 999 lines, the line counter maxed out.  I decided to try and max the score counter next.  At this point I had about 3 million points, so this didn't seem like a big deal.  Unfortunately, I found that this counter continues past 9,999,999.  Since I'd like to play other games on my DS, I didn't want to attempt 100 million, since that would take days or weeks.  I decided that I would then try to max out the level counter instead to see if they programmed it properly.  After approximately 10 hours of play, I finally reached level 999, and the counter did hold.  I finally killed my game after over 10,000 lines and 26.7 million points.  My reward: stronger thumbs (?)

Photos: http://nintendoods.com/stuff/Tetris%20DS/

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 02:56:03 AM »
I salute your bravery. Have you gone online and owned anybody?

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 07:52:13 AM »
Wow, you're rather good.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 07:56:15 AM »
Awesome, you make me want to try ......
I'm a horrible person.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 05:22:47 PM »
You must have a lot of spare time on your hands (no pun intended).
every

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 07:02:37 PM »
My reward: stronger thumbs (?)

And Lizard Dude's (and mine) salutes!  Although, I don't understand how the ability to rotate pieces forever is a broken gameplay mechanic--unless Tetris has changed a lot since I last played...
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 04:05:09 PM »
I think it means when you rotate a piece, it stops it from falling, so you can make a piece hover indefinitely by rotating it, giving you time to think. It basically makes the higher speed of higher levels not matter.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 06:04:46 PM »
I need to get Tetris DS! I mean, really! I heard that it has more than 10 minigames AND 10-player WiFi! Oh...yeah.
every

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 07:57:24 PM »
Uh, no. It's only 4-player Wi-Fi, but 10-player local wireless.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 09:24:57 PM »
That's a mighty amazing score, MB. I remember Tetris DX (not DS, DX) where it only went to level 30 and there was a slight pause before a block fell -- so the game never got too hard for me to play like original Tetris. I racked up some nice sessions there, never 26.7 million points, though.
~I.S.~

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2006, 11:33:55 PM »
I think it means when you rotate a piece, it stops it from falling, so you can make a piece hover indefinitely by rotating it, giving you time to think. It basically makes the higher speed of higher levels not matter.

Ah, I see.  Well, that would make it rather easy.  "Easiness" aside, though, I've done marathons like this before.  They can be very nerve-wracking as the hours go on.  Excuse me, while I observe a moment of silence for the many brave warriors who died at the colosseum...

*silence*

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 11:18:05 AM »
It's also worse than that... you're actually able to climb back up the block stack with certain block shapes thanks to the way they implemented rotation in this version.

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006, 05:11:18 PM »
The block rotation isn't broken. At higher levels it's a must because the tetronimos appear almost instantly at the bottom.
Help a struggling college student by buying games from my Amazon site (see the link in my profile)

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2006, 09:18:38 PM »
He didn't say rotation was broken.  Also, more oggling for Mß:  Maybe you were the first person in the entire world to max out Tetris DS!  That's a pretty cool thought.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2006, 10:03:43 AM »
The block rotation isn't broken. At higher levels it's a must because the tetronimos appear almost instantly at the bottom.

Which means that was broken too.  The original Tetris was still playable (though very hard) at higher speeds, while the new version literally isn't playable without the brokenness since blocks appears immediately on your stack.

Print