Print

Author Topic: New Super Mario Brothers  (Read 44563 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #135 on: April 05, 2009, 03:09:04 PM »
Yeeeeaaaah, I'm gonna agree and say that newer Mario games are much easier.  I've beaten NSMB twice through (once with Mario and then again with Luigi), including collecting every star coin and finding every secret goal (which there weren't enough of), but have not yet managed to beat SMB3 even once so far.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #136 on: April 05, 2009, 03:18:08 PM »
Funny. SMB3 doesn't have any secret goals (aside from the ones that give you the warp whistles), or collectibles scattered through the levels, but it does have powerups that allow you to fly indefinitely, one that lets you simply skip levels you don't like, warping to the last world is incredibly easy, and if you wanted you could essentially double your lives by playing as both Mario bros. How have you not beaten it?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #137 on: April 05, 2009, 03:21:37 PM »
I beat every world up to 8 without so much as a game over.  Getting there isn't the problem.  When I got there, I used P-Wings for 8-1 and 8-2, then got a game over on the airship level.  Repeat a few times, and all my P-Wings are gone, making it even rarer to get past 8-1 and 8-2, much less 8-3 (I did manage to beat the airship eventually) and Bowser's Castle with just five lives.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #138 on: April 05, 2009, 03:34:04 PM »
Err, Turtlekid, how would it be even possible to screw up a World-8 Airship with a P-Wing? No offense, of course.

I must agree that SMB3's average level layouts are exponentially harder than those of, say, NSMB. I had no trouble with collecting every Special Coin by my fifth day of owning the latter, while the former took me every honest gamer but Bird Person upwards of a couple dozen lives to usurp Bowser in the 1990 game.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #139 on: April 05, 2009, 03:56:02 PM »
SMB3 and SMW aren't really that hard.  SMB3 bombards you with lives with the card spaces and the end of the level prizes, top that with the constant items it throws at you and you got a relatively easy game.  And the only challenging boss is Bowser.  SMW also throws lives at you with bonus levels and that cape is so powerful, you can take out nearly every enemy with it and you can just glide across the course.  And the only remotely challenging boss was the 4 dinosaurs and Bowser.  Its kind of sad that NSMB is easier than both of them.
Victory... is my destiny!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #140 on: April 05, 2009, 04:06:31 PM »
It's not. There are too many gimmicky level hazards and enemies. You can't fly (in this context, I mean run really fast) through NSMB like in the older games.
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #141 on: April 05, 2009, 04:16:06 PM »
However, I also got Wario Land II...now that was terrible.  I very much prefer games that have some risk factor to them, but not being able to die was just a turd sandwich.  And why does he have to fly so far back when he gets hit?  Is that neccessary?

I'll be havin' none o' this...

Wario Land II's "Can't die" factor rendered it a whole other kind of game. It's heavily puzzle-based rather than skill-based.

« Reply #142 on: April 05, 2009, 05:43:47 PM »
As was Wario Land 4, but at least in that game you could die.  Risk factor, in my opinion, is neccessary

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #143 on: April 05, 2009, 05:58:45 PM »
For the record...

The Reasons Why New Mario Games Are Easier
1) We're better.
2) Nintendo has to make them easier or the casuals will leave.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #144 on: April 05, 2009, 06:03:35 PM »
So you all think I could, say, give NSMB to my dad and he'd do okay? Really, now?
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #145 on: April 05, 2009, 06:11:48 PM »
Nintendo seems to think so.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #146 on: April 05, 2009, 07:02:45 PM »
As was Wario Land 4, but at least in that game you could die.  Risk factor, in my opinion, is neccessary

Lives systems don't work for every kind of game. WL4 was far more linear and skill-based than WL2 or 3.

« Reply #147 on: April 08, 2009, 05:50:01 PM »
And the only challenging boss is Bowser.

..the 4 dinosaurs and Bowser.

I dunno: Roy and Ludwig were pretty challenging for me, since everytime they jumped (or rather landed from a jump) the cabin shook. There's also Wendy and Lemmy, with their candy rings and circus balls.

Also, the 4 dinosaurs are called Reznor (the bosses at the end of the Fortress levels, correct?)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #148 on: April 09, 2009, 10:06:33 PM »
I've just stated playing Mario vs DK 2. This one was done entirely by Nintendo of America, right?

I reckon these guys should make the next Mario Platformer in this exact visual style, with the same characterisation, powerups, mix of enemies etc. It would completely rock, and be just the right mix of nostalgia and new ingredients.

Personally, and I know I'm in the severe minority here, I have always hated Super Mario World. Graphics are terrible, gameplay is even more convuluted than Toki Toki Panic, enemies are stoopid, rendering and illustration is poor (are those fat ball things meant to be goombas or what??). I would be very disappointed if any new Mario platformer took its cues from SMW.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #149 on: April 10, 2009, 07:11:29 AM »
Your second post in as many years and you blast SMW? No.

Print