Print

Author Topic: New Super Mario Brothers Wii  (Read 164068 times)

« Reply #165 on: September 29, 2009, 04:31:32 PM »
Actually, I'm quite sure the toads are there because: it's a 4-player game, but there are only 2 Mario brothers. And toads have been helping Mario and Luigi for years, (take SMB2, SMB3, SM64, and Galaxy for example). So it would be pretty logical for them to be players 3 and 4, right?

« Reply #166 on: September 29, 2009, 04:39:58 PM »
Makes sense to me. I just wonder if you can choose to play as the Mario Bros or the Toads during the one player game?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #167 on: September 29, 2009, 05:17:57 PM »
One would presume so. In my opinion, the optimal roster would consist of Mario, Luigi, Wario and the Toad, with Waluigi dying in a ditch somewhere.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #168 on: September 29, 2009, 08:16:56 PM »
A game that "pushes the Wii to its limit" sounds a lot better than "a half-assed game that really doesn't use any of the Wii's potential at all".

Okay, that's not what I was talking about. I'm just repeating a quote I read from IGN about NSMB Wii not having wi-fi capabilities. Also, what I was asking was, "What the hell is 'pushing the Wii to its limit'?"

The extent of the motion controls will just be simple waggles to do certain moves or activate things in-game (a la Super Paper Mario). I mean, you're holding the Wiimote like a NES controller for this game, so how much motion control could you throw in there? There will be waggles and I imagine there might be a Wiimote pointer-dedicated section of the game... but I doubt enough to "push it to its limits."

Also, NSMB had 78 levels. I imagine Nintendo would bump that up to around 100 or so for NSMB Wii... (I doubt Nintendo would want to do more than about that). Unless the levels are extremely long and intricate, I don't believe 78 levels +30 or so levels would be enough to push the system over the edge... unless there's as crap-ton of extra content, etc. woven into the game, which I highly doubt. I believe NSMB Wii will be a straight-to-the-point platformer just like NSMB. Not tons of unlockables, frills, or anything like that.

Let's assume NSMB Wii will be the same presentation/etc. as NSMB. Add a few dozen levels and some motion control... up the polys for the character models a bit, then you're just about done. So inform me: what is gonna be in this game that's gonna make it on par (in a "technical limits" sense) with advanced, nice-looking games like Galaxy, Brawl, etc.?
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #169 on: September 29, 2009, 08:31:51 PM »
Let's somehow blame it on the Toads and be done with it.

But really, "pushing it to its limit" is just another BS marketing term applied to every electronic product that hits the market. Heck, developers would probably claim that those WiiWare Pokemon Mystery Dungeon titles "push the Wii to its limit".
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 08:57:14 PM by Weegee »

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #170 on: September 29, 2009, 08:41:39 PM »
Reason why talking about things like how much space levels take up is pointless: A quick check shows that New Super Mario Bros. fits on a 32 MB DS card. Trimming dummy data (padding added to a ROM to take up the rest of a DS card) reveals the exact ROM size as 19.6 MB. In other words, you're comparing a game that's only a bit larger than Peggle to a future retail Wii game.

« Reply #171 on: September 29, 2009, 08:51:03 PM »
Also, NSMB had 78 levels. I imagine Nintendo would bump that up to around 100 or so for NSMB Wii... (I doubt Nintendo would want to do more than about that). Unless the levels are extremely long and intricate, I don't believe 78 levels +30 or so levels would be enough to push the system over the edge... unless there's as crap-ton of extra content, etc. woven into the game, which I highly doubt. I believe NSMB Wii will be a straight-to-the-point platformer just like NSMB. Not tons of unlockables, frills, or anything like that.

There was actually an interview awhile ago that asked about something like that, and they mentioned the levels are quite massive to accomadate the 4 player mode.

I sincerely hope that's not there only reason for pushing the Wii to its limits.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #172 on: September 29, 2009, 08:56:04 PM »
Might I point out that the amount of data stored on the disc has pretty much nothing to do with how much processor power the game is taking up while running. Pushing it to its limits would be like having a really slick 3D engine running on it or something.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #173 on: September 30, 2009, 06:50:06 AM »
I heard somewhere that NSMBW has the exact same number of levels as the original.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #174 on: September 30, 2009, 08:08:37 AM »
I heard somewhere that NSMBW has the exact same number of levels as the original.

Well, at least they're not pulling a DKC on us. Don't get me wrong, the game was great, but it only had 33 levels. 

I'm still afraid they're going to cut back just because of its multiplayer-ability.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #175 on: September 30, 2009, 08:35:36 AM »
Well, making a sequel with the same amount of levels on a higher-powered system basically is cutting back, or at least breaking even.

« Reply #176 on: September 30, 2009, 10:23:24 PM »
So, there's no Wi-Fi gameplay in NSMBW? Well, that's not really a shock. Nintendo would never give the player everything he or she could ask for in a video game. And I'd like to think of the lack of online gameplay to mean that we'll probably see another NSMB game that does include online game play soon someday...maybe.
"It's vital to reflect occasionally on whether one is overdoing whatever it is one person is doing." ~Toadsworth

« Reply #177 on: October 01, 2009, 07:30:35 AM »
Well, making a sequel with the same amount of levels on a higher-powered system basically is cutting back, or at least breaking even.
+Co-op play.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #178 on: October 01, 2009, 07:13:58 PM »
Something just occured to me: You know what's probably eating up some of that space? That [darn]ed demo play thing.

« Reply #179 on: October 01, 2009, 07:20:57 PM »

The very mention of demo play infuriates me, and now this possible revelation?!

Print