Print

Author Topic: <3 Valentine's Day Thread <3  (Read 64375 times)

Jman

• Score
« Reply #165 on: February 18, 2008, 11:59:41 PM »
Wait, so do they encourage this, or is it some "underground" thing? Well, either way, it reminds me of greenlighting and jelly bracelet codes... in a less smutty way, of course.

Oh yes they encourage it.  They promote it with big posters a couple of days before it happens.
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

« Reply #166 on: February 19, 2008, 12:03:33 AM »
picture to come soon
The girl had better be in it.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #167 on: February 19, 2008, 02:21:37 PM »
To defend my statement about love, I would like to examine what it means to love. I said that love it not a feeling. Love may make you feel good, it may make you happy and all giddy inside, and that is good. But love also can make you feel like crap, love is tough. If love can cause any number of feelings, how can it itself be a feeling? Simply put, it cannot be a feeling. Love is a state that is permanent and lasting. It cannot be ephemeral. If you think that you're in love, but you get your jollies from another person and it lasts a week, then that undermines the true power of love.

Love is not always easy: a lot of times, it hurts and it feels awful. Feeling "good" (by the modern understanding of "good," not "Good") is always. It's much easier to leave the person you if they mess up than to stay with them. It hurts sometimes to tell someone that you love that they might not accept. But in order to truly love, both parties must be in a state of complete trust and faith in the other person. If love were only a feeling that is the same as "feeling good," then people could eat, drink, or do any number of other activities to reach that same "feeling good."

Furthermore, you don't say to your loved one "I feel like I love you." You tell her or him "I love you." There, no feeling is involved. You are saying that you trust that person and wish to spend time with him or her and that you are willing to live your life for that other person. You are not telling him or her that you get butterflies in your stomach whenever you see him or her (while, that very well might be a side-affect of love). To limit love to a feeling is to really undermine love
s true meaning and power.

Also, I as I figured, I would get a mouthful from somebody about my remarks concerning Easter. We wouldn’t have Valentine’s day today as we know it if it were not for a Catholic Saint who died professing his love for Jesus, the “zombie” of whom you spoke. I was not attacking any religious points of view (or lack thereof) that you may hold, and I certainly would appreciate it if you did not attack mine on this friendly board.

Come on people. Stop whining every single holiday because you have to buy crap for greedy people. It's just how it works. Like taxes for your social life.

I am afraid that this is an extremely shallow and cynical view of the human person and society. Shouldn’t friendship be something freely given, and not bought? Gifts are great, they are a sign of friendship and fraternal love (the Greeks called this Philos). Gifts, however, are not “taxes” as you suggest. You seem to say that all holidays are the same as tax day. Most people, including myself, loathe tax time. Using simple Aristotelian logic, we can be sure that you, too, hate all holidays.

Taxes are expected, as part of a social contract of sorts between man and his government. Gifts do not act in the same way at all. “I am your friend only if I get x, y, and z for Christmas (or should I say the holiday that falls on December 25?).” I desire no friendships that involve my bank account as its main source. To reduce gifts to “social taxes” is to suggest that we have no true friends, just partners in business. While gifts may be symbols of our affection toward our friends, they cannot BE our friendships. Friendship must be based on a open, free choice to stand by another person through all times, regardless of gifts.

I can honestly that my best friend since 4th grade has still never purchased for me one gift. I have returned the favor. We remain best friends, and no “social taxes” are involved.

I am sorry that I wrote so much. I certainly hope that this does not evolve into a theological debate or a flame war. I am sincerely hoping to simply share thoughts. Please, if you will, be respectful in your responses.

Thank you.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #168 on: February 19, 2008, 02:51:05 PM »
Long Monologues are greatly hated, hardly read, and frequently ignored. Its like a documentary. No one cares and you can't change the world.

An Inconvenient Truth.
Fahrenheit 9/11.
March of the Penguins.
Super Size Me.
Sicko.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #169 on: February 19, 2008, 05:15:12 PM »
I read his entire post.

Taxes are expected, as part of a social contract of sorts between man and his government. Gifts do not act in the same way at all. “I am your friend only if I get x, y, and z for Christmas (or should I say the holiday that falls on December 25?).” I desire no friendships that involve my bank account as its main source. To reduce gifts to “social taxes” is to suggest that we have no true friends, just partners in business. While gifts may be symbols of our affection toward our friends, they cannot BE our friendships. Friendship must be based on a open, free choice to stand by another person through all times, regardless of gifts.
I definitely agree with this. As an example, our very own Bird Person has talked about his dilemmas in gift-giving among his friends. He seems to think that he needs to reciprocate the value of a gift given to him in the form of a gift given to the original giver. In this manner, gifts become nothing more than trades. Gifts are just that. Gifts. No obligations should come with a gift; just feelings.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #170 on: February 22, 2008, 08:03:53 PM »
I think you guys are making it way too complicated.

If you love someone, good for you. If you don't, and hate love itself, then DON'T LOVE. If your looking for an exact definition then go to Wikipedia.

Long Monologues are greatly hated, hardly read, and frequently ignored. Its like a documentary. No one cares and you can't change the world.

An Inconvenient Truth.
Fahrenheit 9/11.
March of the Penguins.
Super Size Me.
Sicko.
Holy crap. Speak for yourself. No offence, but that's exactly the kind of mindset that I hate.
"it's always the present"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #171 on: February 22, 2008, 11:44:51 PM »
Its like a documentary. No one cares and you can't change the world.

An Inconvenient Truth.
Fahrenheit 9/11.
March of the Penguins.
Super Size Me.
Sicko.
...Whatever...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #172 on: February 24, 2008, 02:39:52 AM »
WHERE IS INSANE STEVE'S GIRL PIX?

« Reply #173 on: February 24, 2008, 02:52:30 AM »
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #174 on: February 24, 2008, 05:06:16 AM »
That had better be a 404.

« Reply #175 on: February 24, 2008, 05:48:43 PM »
It is.

404 lbs!

OOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #176 on: February 24, 2008, 07:10:42 PM »
Note to self: Register the insanestevesgirlpix.com domain and squat until Steve buys it to protect his name.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Jman

• Score
« Reply #177 on: February 25, 2008, 01:52:04 AM »
LD strikes again...ouch.
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #178 on: February 25, 2008, 10:48:07 PM »
Ah hahahahahahaha

Seriously, the pictures need to be uploaded somewhere (they are too big to attach). As for girlpix, I'll see if I can find something.
~I.S.~

chucknorris

• ID:10 Tango error
« Reply #179 on: March 02, 2008, 12:57:56 PM »
As far as I know, valentines day is over now. But, now we look forward to March Break. Happy pre- march break, everyone!
How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could could chuck wood?

A wood chuck could chuck as much wood as a wood chuck could chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood.

Print