Print

Author Topic: How is the site done?  (Read 4011 times)

« on: February 14, 2001, 04:15:42 PM »
How is the left navigation of your site made? Do you use CGI, XML, DHTML, Java Scripting, What do you do?

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2001, 08:11:22 AM »
To make the menu he uses a simple javascript rollover effect.

Food?
Food?

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2001, 02:15:41 PM »
You mean the image-change effects? Yeah, JavaScript.

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2001, 03:54:32 PM »
no, I mean how do your text links update on every page on your site? You didn't have the article "Tetris-A-Hack" on every page, but now you do, even on the VB Wario Land page that hasnt been updated in years! How do you do that?

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2001, 04:29:25 PM »
I'm no authority since I don't work at this site but I'd venture to bet they use Server-Side Include (SSI) to do that. SSI lets you place common HTML code into multiple pages so that if you change it once, you change it everywhere. Its a lot faster than duplicating it across 100's of pages.

James

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2001, 02:32:20 PM »
Yes, that is why his pages end in "shtml" instead of html.

Food?
Food?

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2001, 01:18:15 AM »
Yep, I use SSI. I have six different "menu files," so when something needs to be changed I only have to change six files, instead of 500 HTML files. You were the same one who asked our mailbag about that too, right? I'll be answering that again on Friday. ;)

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2001, 08:42:35 AM »
Yes, I asked that in the mailbag. Could you also tell me where I can get a good tutorial on the internet about how I can use SSI on my site? (you could include that ,too, in your mailbag if you want)

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2001, 11:28:24 AM »
Allow me to step in here.

www.wdvl.com has info on all sorts of web-based programming languages, including SSI. I managed to pick up the basics of SSI yesterday in about 15 minutes with it.

Now all I need to do is find out if Tripod will let me use it without the banner disappearing (thus having me kicked off the server).
Webmaster
nindb.classicgaming.gamespy.com - Nintendo Database

Print