Print

Author Topic: Your Ancestry?  (Read 4630 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: October 14, 2012, 06:02:09 PM »
From my mother's side I am from Scandinavia and/or Finland.  From my father's side I am from Germany*.  Genetically speaking I am European and 2.8 percent neanderthal according to 23andme.com. 

What about you? 

* I have been told that my name is German for "Small House" or Schaus which was misspelled and mispronounced as Shows** in America. 

** Imagine saying, "How's it going?", and pronounce "Shows" in a similar fashion. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 06:27:12 PM »
My dad is adopted, so all we know is that his mother was likely of English or Scottish ancestry, and his father was likely Canadian Aboriginal judging by my dad's hair/eye colour and skin tone.

My mom's family as been traced back to a Dutchman born around 1680. His descendants lived in the same town for over 250 years until immigrating to Alberta after the War.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 09:19:09 PM »
Mom = German Italian
Dad = Ukrainian Slaovisckehrenfdf--Somewhere else in Eastern Europe.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 09:56:42 PM »
My mom's family: English/Scottish.
My dad's family: English/Scottish.

Boring.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 11:03:04 PM »
While we haven't done all the genealogizing, almost all Americans with my mom's maiden name can be traced back to a single British immigrant, who himself can be traced back to the 1100s or so.

I don't know anything about my dad's side.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 03:04:11 AM »
Maternal: English. Apparently a bit of Spanish somewhere along the line? But I think that was just to make me feel better.
Paternal: Australian as far back as I've cared to ask, that said I think my dad's side is Irish if it's back far enough.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 11:26:49 AM »
Maw: Italian/Irish
Grampa: Italian
Gramma: Irish

Paw: Italian
Grampa: Italian
Gramma: Italian

This means I'm 3/4 Italian and 1/4 Irish.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 11:27:32 AM »
These are approximations, of course:
~1/2 German
~3/8 English
~1/8 Dutch

I think I have some other stuff in there, too. But I'm definitely of Northern European descent.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 04:24:10 PM »
Hi, I'm new here so I'm just going to jump right in.
I am related to vikings from Norway and Ireland on my father's side.
I am 75% German and 25% Irish.

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 04:39:10 PM »
Irish vikings? How horrifying!
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 07:50:50 PM »
Mom - 1/2 Japanese, 1/2 white (I am not sure, definitely partly Scottish and Irish)
Mom's Mom - Japanese
Mom's Dad - Scottish and Irish as far as I know.
Dad - white (I dunno what he is like German and Irish and maybe Scottish I think)

Not sure about my dad's folks, other than they're pretty white. I like to say that I'm 1/4 Japanese (all I really know), 1/4 Scottish (probably not true), an the rest is just a vague mix of boring white stuff.

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 04:19:52 PM »
I have no idea about my mom's side of the family, but my great great grandfather immigrated here from Germany.
Relics.

Print