Print

Author Topic: BEST IN SERIES? Week 4: Underwater Levels  (Read 9476 times)

« on: February 18, 2008, 11:22:19 AM »
Sorry for the wait. For some reason, I kept getting an error every time I tried to post this topic. ...Now it's working. Anyway, a rather miscellanious question, Which Mario Game has the best Underwater Levels. Starting...now!

Super Mario Galaxy (1)

Winners:
WEEK 1(Attacks): Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
WEEK 2(Final Boss Battle): Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.
WEEK 3(Music): Super Mario Galaxy

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 11:28:17 AM »
I say Super Mario World.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 11:36:05 AM »
Super Mario Land.

The only game where you piloted a sub rather than dealt with annoying water physics.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 01:15:02 PM »
I mostly hate all water levels. But I know Super Mario World quite well and have the best control over Mario in it.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 01:23:30 PM »
I'll give 3/4 of a vote to Super Mario Land and 1/4 of a vote to Yoshi's Story.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 02:06:06 PM »
Oh... interesting question. Whoo... well, I really have never liked the 3D Mario game underwater levels, but they do look much better... And there was that one level in Super Paper Mario...

Eh, for sheer most-of-the-time weirdness and splendor, I vote Super Mario Galaxy.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 03:49:14 PM »
Super Mario World had the best.

In SM64, they were a little annoying, and in SMB they were just too simple and annoying at times (the design, not control).

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 09:30:38 PM »
Super Mario 64

The 3D swimming was rad to the max when I first experienced it (still kinda is) and they feel so peaceful and calm, as opposed to the hectic levels and music of the other worlds.

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 12:14:45 AM »
I hate to be the loner, but I think "Super Mario Bros. 3."  There's variety, challenge, and good physics.  I also love how the music conveys the feel of the sea.  Nice color scheme, too.  The last 2 items apply to the original "Super Mario Bros." as well.

"World" water levels aren't bad, but they seem samey.  I had forgotten "Mario 64" even had water levels, which says something about how enjoyable they are.
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 12:25:28 AM »
I like galaxy's because of the "hold on to shells to make swimming easier" mechanic.
What ever you do don't press Ctrl-W

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 12:39:44 AM »
They had that in SMW also, unless my memory fails me.
That was a joke.

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 12:12:31 PM »
I loved the music from SM64 and also the swimming. Drowning, not so much.

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 01:45:02 PM »
Super Mario World; it seems they perfected swimming in 2D Mario games with the release of that game. It just felt natural.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 05:32:19 PM »
I can't decide between SM64 for the music or SML for the underwater shmup gameplay.

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 11:00:23 PM »
Super Mario Land.

The only game where you piloted a sub rather than dealt with annoying water physics.
Though I don't find water physics annoying, I've gotta go with SML as well.  It's a really special level.

... Wait, do you find water physics more annoying than auto-scroll--'cause SML has that, and I tend to think that ranks a bit higher on the annoying scale.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

Print