Print

Author Topic: Roller Coaster Tycoons  (Read 6335 times)

« on: May 06, 2005, 07:05:14 AM »
Clinkity-clank, clinkity-clank, clinkity-clank... "Aaaaaaaaaaahhh!" Don't you just love that sound?  The sound of little kids screaming their heads off on fast and freaky roller coasters.  Man, I do.  Roller coasters are like one of the greatest inventions of all time!  I just love them to death.

This topic is about roller coasters and people's favorites, but it's also about the super addictive theme-park building game known as Roller Coaster Tycoon that's so fun and such a blast that it isn't funny.
The first time I played it took me awhile to get the hang of it but when I did I couldn't stop.  I would play for 3 hours at a time and then I'd look at the clock and realise how much time I wasted.  Those were fun times.

What kind of roller coasters do you like?  Which ones do you think are the best?  Do you have any great/funny memories from going to theme parks?

And how about Roller Coaster Tycoon?  Do you play that?  If so, tell us about your interesting/funny experiences playing the game.  Show us pictures of your sweet rides.  Prove to us all that you really are the greatest tycoon of building ultimate theme parks!  Unless you're chicken that is.

I thought this would be a great topic to talk about.  Even though I don't know how to put up pictures, I do have an interesting story.  The first time I tried to beat RCT1, our computer had to be rebooted so I lost everyithing in the game.  My files, my parks, my rides... everything.  And I only had a few more parks left to finish.  I was so upset I wanted to break a window.  But then one day I decided to try it again.  I got close again and then the computer had to be rebooted again and so, yes, I lost it all a second time.  After that I didn't play the game for a very long time but then I just couldn't stop thinking of what the last level-- Mega Park-- would be like and couldn't bear the thought of never getting to it.  So I tried a final time and finally beat the game!  That was such an incredible feeling to reach the last level, but I felt so ribbed obb from playing the game for so long that I haven't played it or any sequels for a long time.  What about you?

"Do you got a mullet goin’ on?"

Edited by - Yoshisaurus Rex on 7/18/2005 9:04:54 PM
(E I): o{D___(--I I): o(D___(o 8(= P)___(=(:  )@)___(3 I)}:O})+)___<( )=(: )) )
The cake is a lie, your base belongs to us, keyboard cat will play you off as you fall out of the bus.

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 05:09:11 PM »
I have RollerCoaster Tycoon (1) with all of the expansion packs. I enjoy shooting cars off the rollercoaster. Hehehe, explosions!

If a tree falls in the woods, do all the others laugh at it?
BOOM is for BOOMSTIX!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 05:15:07 PM »
Man, I loved that game! I was really good at it-- I beat the whole first game, and tried to beat Loopy Landscapes.

Now I have RCT3, and I must say, I'm severely disappointed. It really lacks some of the fun the originals had. Some of the problem is from the simulation of people. They really don't do what you want them to do. Instead of taking rides and earning you income, they stand around and talk. And talk. And keep on talking. It's infuriating! I haven't played RCT3 for quite a while. The "sandbox" mode of that is like Arid Heights, becuase there are no financial limits. A really neat ride I made in that mode was called "Metroid Prime." It was a enormous theme ride.

EDIT: I forgot-- Mega Park was awesome. There wasn't any goal, but the place was enormous and great for designing fantastic roller coasters. The loan could be taken up to 50000, which gives plenty of money to be creative. If you want a screenshot of those things, I might be able to find my old Loopy Landscapes CD.

Edited by - Suffix on 5/6/2005 4:17:17 PM

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 08:30:19 AM »
Boomstix: I guess that might be part of the reason why your name is boomstix!  Yeah, I used to do that a lot too when I got bored.  The first time I saw a coaster blow up it freaked me out, but then I started to get evil and purposefully shoot the cars of the tracks and watch them crash into hills, laughing like a madman.  I even tried stuff like making the coaster drop into water, slide across side walks, and build two that went right towards each other and tried to make them crash at the same time.  I was a maniac and I didn’t care!  Hahaha!

Oh, I have to tell this one story really quick and then I’ll try to let everyone else talk.  When I did finally unlock Mega Park, I built every single ride and food stall that was available in the game and decorated it really nice.  Then I got an cool idea and decided to build a huge roller coaster.  So I saved my file, and then saved it again with a different name (Explosion Park, I think).  I switched over to the identical park and quickly went to work shutting down the park and all the rides and then destroying them all so I could get tons of money.

With a ginormous amount of cash on hand I decided to build the biggest and scariest roller coaster that money could buy.  I chose the inverted coaster and made it go as high as it could, and then dropped it straight into the ground as low as it could go.  I added lots of twists, loops, vertical drops, and everything to make it the most disgusting coaster ever.  When I was done the ride was incredibly long and had like 12 drops to it and moved faster than anything you’d ever see in a theme park.  Then I opened the park again, opened the ride and charged lots of money, and watched the little suckers take the bait.  I won’t go into detail but let’s just say that when the ride was over, the park cleaners suddenly had a lot more work to do around that area!

Suffix: I hope you can find what you’re looking for.  I’d love to see everyone’s unique ride designs.

The cake is a lie, your base belongs to us, keyboard cat will play you off as you fall out of the bus.

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 12:49:24 PM »
Aww, I thought this was going to be a thread about real roller coasters...
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2005, 01:21:17 PM »
Hey, it can be if you want it to.  You can talk about RCT, other RC games, AND real roller coasters and stuff if you want.  Just go nuts, people and have fun! (I edited my first post a little late ^_^;)

Edited by - Yoshisaurus Rex on 5/26/2005 4:40:16 PM

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2005, 03:56:52 PM »
I've played Roller Coaster Tycoon before and it's a fun game series. I haven't played the third one yet.
Werid Fortune Cookies- Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2005, 04:04:52 PM »
Trust me, the third isn't a very good sequel.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2005, 06:14:55 PM »
I'm terrerrified of roller coasters... so maybe the game would be perfect for me!

Tweet! Any Questions? –Bird Person<(^v^)>
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Rex

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2005, 04:16:23 PM »
I made a ride called Space Race on RCT2. It reached 400 ft high and was 150 mph. It WAS fast. The throw up made many new colors, green, brown, pink, yellow.

"You can make the Statue of Liberty disappear but you can't climb down some stairs." David Copperfield, Magician
"You can make the Statue of Liberty disappear but you can't climb down some stairs." David Copperfield, Magician

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2005, 12:03:51 PM »
I have RCT1 and expansions. Very, very fun, but I haven't played it nearly enough and perhaps never will. :(

“Using the Semicolon can sometimes be a tricky proposition from a syntactical perspective!”

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2005, 04:15:31 PM »
My most successful roller coaster from RCT1 (with Loopy Landscapes) was built in Arid Heights. The name was "Transwarp Tours," which visited every theme in the park (8). Some quick stats:

Excitement: Very High (8.89, I think)
Intensity: Medium-high
Nausea: Medium-low

I remember the top speed being 98 mph, exactly. Needless to say, it was a big hit.

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2005, 07:30:05 AM »
Hey, let's swtich "gears" a little here and talk about real roller coasters.  What are your favorites?  My favorite that I've rode is this big one called the Wild Thing at Valley Fair.  I forget what it was like exactly but I remember that it goes pretty high up, has a huge drops, some really sharp dips and turns, and a camera that takes your picture at the end in a dark tunnel.  I've only gone on it once unfortunately and never got another chance.

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2005, 07:44:56 AM »
I really shouldn't do this... BUMP!  Sorry, but I want to hear more of what people have to say about this, and I just think that any topic about something as cool as roller coasters should never be neglected this long.  And it is my birthday today so I get ultimate bumping power! (not really)

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2005, 09:25:13 PM »
Hey! Happy birthday!

I'd give you some screenshots of Metroid Prime (my roller coaster) but I don't have enough webspace currently.

Print