Print

Author Topic: Help!!!!! My NES stopped working!!!  (Read 4085 times)

« on: September 03, 2004, 02:13:55 PM »
Today my NES, which I bought a while back off Half.com by Ebay, stopped working. It had been getting worse and worse over a period of days; it could have just worn out (it's obviously old), or it could be because of a certain game or because of something I did to the system. One thing I did was turn the system on and off 3 times the other day with no game in it. (There was a reason, but it would take a while to explain.) I didn't really think this would do any harm to it, and when I put a game in afterward, it worked.
   Anyway, now whenever I put a game in, even one that used to consistently work, the screen either is blank (this happens most of the time), has random glitchy graphics on it, or once in a while has the game playing on it with completely messed up graphics. Could someone please give me some advice, and tell me if turning a system on and off without a game in it usually causes it to mess up?
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 07:40:30 PM »
No, NESes don't just wear out.
Go down to your local game shop and invest $4 in a universal cleaning kit. That'll fix your problem real quick.
That was a joke.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 07:55:13 PM »
*Koopaslaya has had that happen before.
*Koopaslaya knows that Chup is right.
*Koopaslaya is insignificant to the legend that is Chupperson Weird.

Push Button...
Receive Bacon! ®
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2004, 10:38:46 PM »
or if you're a poor boy, try blowing on it and hitting it a lot. That's what I do when my women stop working too.
200 characters and nothing to say.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2004, 03:20:22 PM »
All I can say is..."wow"

Push Button...
Receive Bacon! ®
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2004, 01:55:01 PM »
   Thanks for your help, guys. My system has begun to work again, though still not well; I have to re-insert games to get them to work. I'll keep your advice in mind, though I don't really think the blow on and hit technique is a good idea.
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2004, 06:56:26 PM »
Blowing on the contacts of the cart sometimes helps.  I also had a system that didn't work once so I took it apart, but found nothing wrong inside.  I didn't clean it or anything; I just put it back together and it worked.  Hmmm.

Edited by - Luigison on 9/6/2004 6:20:28 PM
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2004, 10:40:45 PM »
Blowing on carts does actually help, for reasons unknown.

Also, instead of reinserting them, you should just try tilting them to one side or the other a bit and hitting reset.
That was a joke.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2004, 08:01:45 PM »
Reasons unknown?

Blows dust off the contacts? This makes the most sense to me.  I had a radio once that would stop working because it had gotton dust in between the buttons and contacts.  A simple cleaning made it good as new.

Gives you something to do? Like pushing the elevator button more than once. It may simple be a falacy of positive instances in that once it start working (after you blew in it) you don't try anything else.  You always find things are always in the last place you look because only a fool would keep looking.

“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Print