Print

Author Topic: This oughta leave a kid scarred for life....  (Read 9302 times)

« on: January 09, 2005, 09:05:41 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivian_%28Shadow_Siren%29

I never knew that. Did you know that? That's just scary. By that logic, Flurrie is a dead spirit of Jynx.

Dang Jackie, I don''t want to kiss a short, pale and poor girl.
-Michael Kelso, That 70''s show_
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 09:13:14 PM »
Transgender?  Huh...
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 09:18:31 PM »
I just read more on their info for Mario chars. and they said Baby Bowser and Bowser Jr. are the same person so they might be wrong on Vivian too.

Dang Jackie, I don''t want to kiss a short, pale and poor girl.
-Michael Kelso, That 70''s show_
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 10:27:58 PM »
Well, the pages are made by people who don't run the site.

All it takes is for someone to edit it.

But because it said it was confirmed in Japan, it seems true.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005, 10:29:36 PM »
This would be a lot easier to understand if I had that game.

“You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view.” -Atticus Finch
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2005, 10:59:46 PM »
Vivian is indeed transvestite/transgender in Japan.  I checked the Japanese text myself several weeks ago.

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 01:20:48 PM »
Heh heh. I think things like that are pretty funny.

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 09:40:42 PM »
URRGH! That is totally sick. From now on, I'm definitely considering the English version the "true" version of the game. (I also would consider "true" any other non-perverse versions there might be.)

But this seems like the opposite of the Birdo situation. America was the one at fault then (although they eventually changed Birdo to a girl too).

EDIT: Part of this post didn't make much sense, when I said that I would also consider other non-perverse versions "true". Different versions can't really be all "true". For myself, in a subjective way, I consider the U.S. version to be the "true" one, because that's the one I have.

Sorry for taking up so much space.

Edited by - smfan1085 on 1/23/2005 7:12:28 PM
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 09:48:32 PM »
That's awful! Vivian would do better as female than a transvestite anyway.

However, Japanese games often contain strange qualities in them. My source is a JP Translation FAQ for PM:TTYD I read at GameFAQs (http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecube/file/paper_mario_2.txt). For example, when Koops gets his name written on the seat of his pants, he says something like "Ow, don't prick me, Pokey!" or something to that extent. In the Japanese version he says "Nokotaro...hey, that tickles." Also, in Twilight Town when the "monster" puts a curse on Mario it says "I bet you thought a pretty (can't recall the exact adjective) lady was going to pop out." In the Japanese version it says something, in my opinion, more targeted towards older kids.

I am feeling fat, and sassy!

Edited by - nintendoexpert89 on 1/17/2005 8:05:42 PM

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2005, 11:57:33 PM »
I don't see what's so scary. Japan has different standards than we do. And it's just a video game.
Deezer was here.

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2005, 01:28:12 PM »
As Darkly is writing the names of them on their backs:

Goombella: "Tee-Hee! That tickles!"
Koops: "H-Hey! Think you could ease up on stabbing me, Pokey?"
Flurrie: "Mmmm....A little to the left..."
Yoshi: "Hey! Watch where you're drawing, buddy!"

Although, what they say in the Japanese game sounds funnier.

Edited by - Vidgmchtr on 1/18/2005 12:00:43 PM

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2005, 03:56:48 PM »
O_o I can't believe that Mario stood there and let "him" kiss him! Ack! I-I can't believe it! Good thing Vivian was a girl up in HERE! If I was playing as Mario, I'd do that running thing........ even without the battlefeild! Poor lil plumber dude!

TMK fan since three years ago!

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2005, 11:11:31 PM »
Macho Guns should've stayed! Instead, they come up with YET ANOTHER rhyme for Clubba....... Grubba.......

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2005, 01:26:50 PM »
You know, they could have added the kiss in for the English version, and not have her (or him, whatever) kiss Mario in the original Japanese version. But, one would have to play the original Japanese game to find out.

Why must people be all grossed out about it?

Edited by - Vidgmchtr on 1/19/2005 11:28:15 AM

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2005, 05:52:04 PM »
Does anyone know where to get the Japanese text that references this?  If not, could someone post it?
In my opinion, NOA changed this because nowadays, everyone in the US is so un-PC (in a mildly-humorous way, of course).  I think that if they kept Vivian a boy (if Vivian was in the first place...) in the English version, some litigation-happy nut would sue the company.

"There are no such things as stupid questions, just stupid people."

Edited by - Nameneko on 1/22/2005 9:51:26 PM
"There are no such things as stupid questions, just stupid people."

Print