Print

Author Topic: The ANGST thread: Complain here!  (Read 1709757 times)

« Reply #285 on: June 01, 2006, 08:59:13 PM »
The Fundies.

And they only answer to GOD, so they're obviously correct. And if you disagree with them, you're going to hell.

OBVIOUSLY.

</blatant sarcasm>

It's possible to argue against homosexuality from a purely rational point of view, you know. :P

http://www.apostolic.net/biblicalstudies/homosexualuc.htm#Anchor9
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #286 on: June 01, 2006, 09:02:20 PM »
It's also possible to argue that it's natural.  I had a homosexual dog.  That's all I'm saying about that, but homosexual behavior in nature has been documented.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #287 on: June 01, 2006, 09:53:21 PM »
That's funny, because, ya know, if it were unnatural, why do people and other organisms display homosexual behavior even if it can't result in reproduction?

Just because things are being used for reasons they weren't "intended" for doesn't automatically make them wrong. Homosexuality is just a slightly more extreme than usual example of this.
~I.S.~

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #288 on: June 01, 2006, 10:08:08 PM »
Intended.  Heh.

“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #289 on: June 02, 2006, 10:23:27 AM »
I am filled with ANGST against Drivers permit tests I'm almost 17 and I still don't have my permit. I have failed the permit test for the 4th consecutive time yesterday. Its just so hard.
SSBB theme lyrics: I'll be the Marth, Luigi noob, This is Yoshi's B, This monkey wants to hug him. I'll heat the duck, Uigi noob, pooped through the dress this monkey wears to work.

« Reply #290 on: June 02, 2006, 11:47:27 AM »
It's also possible to argue that it's natural.  I had a homosexual dog.  That's all I'm saying about that, but homosexual behavior in nature has been documented.

Just because some animals have homosexual tendencies doesn't make those tendencies natural. Your argument suggests that any abnormality found in animals, no matter how useless or harmful it is, is "natural" and that therefore there is nothing wrong with it.

That's funny, because, ya know, if it were unnatural, why do people and other organisms display homosexual behavior even if it can't result in reproduction?

Just because things are being used for reasons they weren't "intended" for doesn't automatically make them wrong. Homosexuality is just a slightly more extreme than usual example of this.

So you think that no mental illnesses are "unnatural", then? People certainly display those, and animals do too (like dogs with apparently hereditary aggression problems; my family recently had one like that, I think).

I don't know if you read the later parts of the article, after the "homosexuality is unnatural" section, but there are plenty of reasons to consider homosexuality a bad thing. Just look at the statistics lower down.

Not everything used for reasons it wasn't intended for is wrong, but the area of human sexuality is different from other areas, since the natural purpose of sex is to create new human life. Therefore, it is a far more important matter than, say, what tools should be used for what purposes in fixing a car. But of course, if you don't consider human life sacred, I don't know if I can argue this with you.

Sorry to hear about that, neotev.

« Reply #291 on: June 02, 2006, 03:10:43 PM »
Cont. from HOPEFUL thread...I'M GOING TO MISS ALL OF MY FRIENDS!!!!

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #292 on: June 02, 2006, 03:16:45 PM »
But of course, if you don't consider human life sacred, I don't know if I can argue this with you.

I was going to rebute this by pointing out that your argument assumes that ALL inconsistancies in life are wrong (The "no gray area" fallacy that I see a LOT in religious arguments), but since I don't view anything as sacred in today's society, it's all a bit moot.
~I.S.~

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #293 on: June 03, 2006, 10:32:42 AM »
this is not a black and white world
you can't afford to believe in your side
this is not a black and white world
to be alive
I say the colors must swirl
and I believe
that maybe today
we will all get to appreciate
the beauty of gray

I'm not complaining.  Steve just reminded me of one of my favorite songs.

« Reply #294 on: June 03, 2006, 12:06:40 PM »
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 12:08:45 PM by PaperMario »

« Reply #295 on: June 03, 2006, 01:26:39 PM »
I was going to rebute this by pointing out that your argument assumes that ALL inconsistancies in life are wrong (The "no gray area" fallacy that I see a LOT in religious arguments),

I'm having trouble understanding what you mean by "inconsistencies in life".

« Reply #296 on: June 03, 2006, 02:27:43 PM »
I'm not going to post my ANGST when I lose a baseball game...it's happening WAY to often.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #297 on: June 03, 2006, 05:25:50 PM »
You compare homosexuality to mental disorders. You claim that, because mental disorders are "unnatural" -- homosexuality, by the same logic, is also "unnatural". The only way to make this leap is to assume that all abnormalities in human behavior are unnatural.
~I.S.~

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #298 on: June 03, 2006, 07:05:41 PM »
I'm not going to post my ANGST when I lose a baseball game...it's happening WAY to often.
One year I was on a team that lost EVERY! game! We were Horrible!

« Reply #299 on: June 03, 2006, 07:28:53 PM »
What I said was that you appeared to be saying, "Homosexuality is found in nature, among people and among animals. Therefore it is natural." Various types of mental illnesses also occur in nature, among people and among animals. So it would seem that, judging from that particular argument, you would believe that all mental illnesses are natural. My point was that the mere fact that something is in nature and occurs among people and animals doesn't automatically make it not unnatural or "wrong". Note that I'm not talking about moral wrongness in this context (though I do believe homosexuality is morally wrong), but rather about wrongness as in "There's something wrong with him."

Homosexuality, it should be noted, was classified as a mental disorder right up until the time when people decided to rebel against traditional morality (coincidence?). If you don't consider homosexuality a mental disorder, then what do you consider it? A normal condition, just as normal as heterosexuality, never mind the fact that heterosexuality is actually productive?

Print