Print

Author Topic: could this happen?  (Read 14948 times)

« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2006, 08:34:30 AM »
Ahem, cutsey charachters aren't like that forever.*cough*Conker*cough*

I tried to reply to this last night, but the stupid Internet time limit on this computer forced me to get off.

Conker didn't have an established past before they made BFD. The idea of taking someone like Mario, who already is a very well-known family-friendly character, and putting him in a "mature" game would instantly be rejected by everyone with a brain. With Conker, it wasn't so absurd, since he was only an obscure character who appeared in like two games before BFD.
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2006, 10:25:33 AM »
Mario isnt cutesy. I think SSBM was a very good franchise because It appeals to the "Mature" gamers and still keeps mario just the way he is. Mario is not cutesy as long as they can make games like SSBM then they will do well with mario. (Not that hes not doing well now or anything.)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 12:05:40 PM by neotev »
SSBB theme lyrics: I'll be the Marth, Luigi noob, This is Yoshi's B, This monkey wants to hug him. I'll heat the duck, Uigi noob, pooped through the dress this monkey wears to work.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2006, 07:21:46 PM »
Mario could never go thru the changes that Sonic did because his franchise didn't need an overhaul after his company's third-generation system failed. Need I remind you that the overhaul I'm talking about is where the Sonic shifted from family-friendly toon to geek-friendly anime character. Mario hasn't gone thru a change like that and I hpe to God that he never does.

« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2006, 08:55:12 AM »
I dont understand how you can call Mario "Cutesy" on a Mario forum. It just does'nt make any sense.
SSBB theme lyrics: I'll be the Marth, Luigi noob, This is Yoshi's B, This monkey wants to hug him. I'll heat the duck, Uigi noob, pooped through the dress this monkey wears to work.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2006, 02:20:41 PM »
Mario himself is not considered cutesy.  It's just that many of the characters and races in his franchise are considered cutesy, like Lakitu, the Yoshis, Toads, and Koopa Troopas.  Only when he's a baby do I consider Mario himself "cutesy".
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2006, 06:12:53 AM »
Agreed.

« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2006, 02:15:19 PM »
I really think Mario is cool just the way he is. Nintendo will 99.99% maybe change Mario in the future. In video games and cartoons, the characters never grow old sometimes and they always will stay the same. Mario is the same way. Besides, the hat, overalls, and hefty extrerior (I didn't know that word, or spell it, heh) are his trademark.
My sister is a...(insert threat here)

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2006, 10:45:05 AM »
I don't think Mario ever had a kiddy image to begin with.

Where to start...the Super Mario Bros. Trilogy for the NES, the SMW duo for the SNES, and the four GBA Mairo platformers...as well as all the Super Mario Land games...none of those have a kiddy feel in them.  Why?  They are all 2D sidescrolling platformers.  There's nothing really kiddy about that.  If anything, it's hardcore.

The only games that seem to have a kiddy feel in them would be the first Paper Mario and the Mario Party games.  But that kiddy feel exists solely in appearance.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2006, 11:01:20 AM »
I remember reading this interview in Nintendo Power where Myamoto said that he never initially intended the Mario games to be geared towards kids. He said that that problem first arose when Mario was cast as a baby in Yoshi's Island.

« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2006, 04:36:50 PM »
I remember reading this interview in Nintendo Power where Myamoto said that he never initially intended the Mario games to be geared towards kids. He said that that problem first arose when Mario was cast as a baby in Yoshi's Island.

I think he also said that in the future, Mario might be wearing metal overalls. Heh.
My sister is a...(insert threat here)

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2006, 06:43:22 PM »
That's not the point. The point is, Mario never deserved the kiddy image he was stuck with in the long run.

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2006, 07:34:53 PM »
Agreed!*claps*
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

Print