Print

Author Topic: Mario Cameos in Mario Games  (Read 4171 times)

« on: August 31, 2006, 08:33:11 PM »
I was playing Mario Party 5 earlier today when I noticed that many of the areas that the minigames use look like areas that are from past Mario Parties. I thought we could start a list of them here, much like we did with the SMB theme list. This list doesn't have to be just Mario Party, though. If you have seen something that is in one Mario game that looks like it came from another Mario game, then feel free to post it here. Anyway..

*Mario Party 5*

Flatiator- the 5 trees surrounding the area are in the same order as the 5 trees in the park area of Mario Party 2's Minigame Park

Duel Minigames- All seem to take place in an area that looks similar to Western Land, from Mario Party 2

Rainbow Dream- the starting area on the board has a turbine on it which looks just like the one in the minigame in Mario Party 2 that involved a turbine (1 vs 3 game, Shock Drop or Roll).

*Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga*

Roy's Room- Roy's room has a sidescrolling area that only small Mario can get into. When you get near the end of the area, there is a Bowser suit being held up by some rope above a bridge, and an axe is at the far right. When you jump on the axe, the bridge falls apart and the Bowser suit is thrown into the lava. This is very much like the 4th level of every world in the original SMB.

*Edit: I found the names of the 1 vs 3 minigame, and the Koopaling with the sidescroller area.*
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 08:53:20 PM by Toad »
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 09:34:56 PM »
In Mario Party 7's Pyramid Park, You can see near the Bowser statue little Marios from SMB.

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 10:44:53 AM »
The little window on the bottom left showing various Mario games when FLUDD scans Mario.

Sherbet Land from Wario Land in Mario Kart 64 and Double Dash.

The backgrounds from the secret levels in SMS.

The blocks in the SMS secret levels are a lot like the ones in SMB3.

The level up music in Paper Mario is the same as SMB3's world 1 theme.
Senior Mariology professor

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 05:32:11 PM »
One of the Jump&Run stages in SMS has multiple Mario SMB sprites hopping around in the background.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 01:05:26 PM »
A Mario cameo... in a Mario game? That could never happen. You must be pulling my leg.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 05:52:39 PM »
The room in the Minigame Flip Out (I think that's the name..) from Mario Party 7 looks really similar to the room you had the final battle with Toad in in Mario Party 4.

In Paper Mario 64, the after you stop the Fuzzipede from jumping around inside the whale, the whale thanks you by saying "You're great! They should call you Dr Mario!"
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 09:56:51 PM »
Sorry to bump this...  But in MKDS, the figure 8 circuit has flat blocks scattered in the grass, that resemble the blocks in the first level of SMB3. The same thing in Desert Hills, it had red pipes sticking out, and fire snakes, and more blocks, that look like the first level of world 2 in SMB3.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 11:51:12 AM »
Along similar lines is the track Airship Fortress, as it is obviously a throwback to SMB3.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 03:51:01 PM »
And the track that I think is called Choco mountain, is probably set in W6 of SMW.

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2006, 06:55:35 AM »
Not much of a cameo, but more of a Japanese reference: In Mario Party 4, in the mini-game "Order Up" or something (2 vs 2 game, they have to select foods) when a team wins you can see on the wall a poster reading "Kinopio Burgers".

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2006, 05:52:18 PM »
And the track that I think is called Choco mountain, is probably set in W6 of SMW.

Actually, I just always assumed it was one of the tracks that they took from the SNES version, and when they made the N64 version, made that track 3D.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2006, 06:06:29 PM »
I have another not so quite accurate cameo: In PM2 I remember a line of some character (can't remember who said it) stating something about a FireBrand, which is from MaL:SS, Can't go through the game and find out the line, can someone post a quote?

Oh and, before Admmirral Bob-omb dude (Dang, can't remember anything!) Has a last wish on KeyHaul Key, to drink "Chuckola Cola" which is another refrence to MaL:SS.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2006, 12:45:17 AM »
'Twas Grubba, describing your partner before a battle in which they would not be allowed to attack. But it's not a reference to M&L, but an actual word.
Quote from: The entire wiktionary entry for firebrand
Noun

1. A person who stirs up trouble or kindles a revolt.
   2. A piece of burning wood
Guess I'll contribute.
-In Super Mario RPG, Mario eats mushrooms, just like in SMB.
-In Super Mario Bros. 2, Luigi can jump. also a reference to SMB.
-In Mario Kart 64, a billboard reads "Yoshi." That's the name of that green dude from SMW.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 12:47:32 AM by Bird Person »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2006, 07:11:26 AM »
- I don't know if this counts as a cameo or not, but in Chapter seven of PM:TTYD, there's a room in the X-Naut base with a dressing room in it. Go into it and close the curtain. When you step out of the dressing room, Mario and his Party member will appear as though they're 8-bit, just like in the original SMB.

- In M&L:PiT, at the point where Baby Princess Peach is blown into a Crawlspace in the castle, Toadsworth will say to Mario, Luigi and their baby counterparts, "Master Mario! Master Luigi! You must save the princess! And this time, she's not in another castle!" a reference to the original SMB.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 03:16:56 PM by Robert »
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2006, 12:07:12 PM »
I have another: When you beat the world bosses in NSMB, they turn into keys, and the keys look like the ones that Bowser turns into in SM64.

Print