Print

Author Topic: <3 Valentine's Day Thread <3  (Read 64288 times)

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2007, 01:59:56 PM »
Well, it makes you feel a little better, thats all I can say.  Almost to point where, hey, you don't really need anybody anymore.

Wait..... what?

Area 64

• Cholesterol
« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2007, 02:06:06 PM »
SM, you shoudn't dislike romance just because of one couple. Most often, being in a relationship with a girl/boy is great! I should know.

« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2007, 03:26:13 PM »
OHNODON'TDOTHAT you'll make him complain about how he has never had a girlfriend again.

Though I do not know from experience, I'm sure being in a relationship is nice. But not being in one is just fine as well.

I don't want a girlfriend. I get all the love I need from my parents, teachers, and friends (the ones who are mature enough to not find platonic love weird, which is pretty much all of them).

SSM, I KNOW you have people who love you. Really, everyone has to be loved. Of course maybe not in a romantic sense, but there are people who care for you. Why do you think we make these long posts for you, because we hate you? We do care, somewhat. (Well, it might not seem that way to you, The Chef seems to enjoy arguing...) Why are you looking for love when it's been there all along?

"Romantic love might be nice, but platonic love can be equally meaningful and fulfilling, and romantic love is incomplete if there's no platonic love to supplement it."
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 03:29:36 PM by Vidgmchtr »
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2007, 04:13:00 PM »
(T_T) I have no idea...

Personally I never really cared about "love" and thats about it. I'm just a floating particle in the middle of Space.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2007, 06:31:34 PM »
You're almost as emo as SSM is. Pffft.... "anti-life".....

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2007, 07:31:54 PM »
Whee time for me to post about love.
"Romantic love might be nice, but platonic love can be equally meaningful and fulfilling, and romantic love is incomplete if there's no platonic love to supplement it."
Who is this quoted from, it's a very clever piece of advice.

Now for my opinion on romantic love: it's nice and it's natural, but it's not required. Everyone has the right to go through life without a partner. Of course I am not one of those people who wish to have no significant other.

I saw this one documentary about love, and I recall it saying something about love being an emotion that exists solely to assist reproduction and the commitment that follows when raising a human child, as human children are born very defenseless and need parental guidance. I dunno it went something like that, and it does make sense/

As for my current situation with romantic love, it's not really that big. I don't have a girlfriend, nor do I want one at the present time.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2007, 08:09:29 PM »
"The Encyclopedia Galactica's article on love says that it is much too complex and intricate to explain. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to offer on the subject of love: Avoid, if at all possible."

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy sells rather better than the Encyclopedia Galactica.

(Yes, I know that I may have misquoted the Encyclopedia Galactica. It's been a while, man.)

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2007, 03:35:39 PM »
Love is not bad, and shouldn't be avoided. In fact, it's the best thing you could ever give or receive, and leads to other amazing (and needed) things, like care, forgiveness, and personal growth. People just distort what love is supposed to be, sullying it and causing others to feel jaded. Love isn't what hurts us; the actions and attitudes of broken people (including ourselves) is what hurts us.

Who is this quoted from, it's a very clever piece of advice.
Thanks! :)  To continue with the thought...

Platonic love is complete by itself. Romantic love might be a nice bonus, an addition to the fullness of platonic love, but it's never complete by itself; alone it will always leave you empty and unfulfilled.
Another way to look at it is this: a romantic relationship is doomed to fail if there's not already a strong, deep friendship already there, because when the romance dies down, there's nothing left to the relationship.

In fact, I would say that if a person finds him or herself deeply longing, pining for a romantic relationship (or loathing them, for that matter), there's probably some sort of discord and disconnection in his or her friendships and other non-romantic relationships, either real or perceived. If perceived, it's likely due to one's own insecurities, which need to be realized and worked through. A romantic relationship won't solve these insecurities or feelings of disconnection, and it's probably a bad idea until you can feel deeply connected to others (platonically).

Note that this is different from thinking a romantic relationship would be nice or not being interested in one at the time.

A couple weeks ago, I wrote down some thoughts of mine regarding love and relationships (of any kind), some things I'm learning, and what kind of person I'm striving to be. It's directly related to my faith, which I understand not all of you believe, and I respect that.  I thought I'd share it with you guys. You can find it here.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2007, 08:37:51 AM »
*applauds*

Oh and thanks TC =P

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2007, 01:22:52 PM »
Actually, now that I think of it, the reason that I'm not in love...is because I'm unattractive! That was what all this was getting to, right? Or else I misinterpreted it...
every

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2007, 01:39:38 PM »
You are probably right

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2007, 02:26:03 PM »
...What?
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2007, 06:50:42 PM »
How does being unattractive affect your feelings for some other person in any way?
That was a joke.

« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2007, 10:01:09 PM »

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #104 on: February 26, 2007, 10:04:55 AM »
How does being unattractive affect your feelings for some other person in any way?

Erm, being unattractive (or thinking you're unattractive) = lower self-esteem = greater likelihood of thinking people are "out of your league" and not developing feelings for them when in actuality that's just a misperception.

Also, love would be a lot easier if Saph's view on love were the norm and not the exception among most women my age.
~I.S.~

Print