Yep, once and I hated it.
4 (10.3%)
I am a regular/occasional smoker.
4 (10.3%)
Trying to quit
0 (0%)
I do not smoke and never will.
28 (71.8%)
I've never tried it, but I'm not afraid to try.
2 (5.1%)
Used to, don't anymore.
1 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Print

Author Topic: Smoking: Anyone try it?  (Read 42023 times)

Jake

• Mr. Manure
« on: November 03, 2008, 04:40:42 PM »
Right, so I'm curious to know if anyone has ever smoked before or is a regular smoker.

I myself am an occasional cigar smoker. I know they're worse than cigarettes, but they give me a better feeling afterwards. Plus, odd it may be, but I enjoy the taste (keep in mind, this is coming from someone who likes his coffee black).
Professional Paisano here

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 04:45:43 PM »
My mother smokes, and seeing her, I will never smoke.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 04:48:27 PM »
Eh, I voted occasional..... but, that was then... this is now.

9th grade = started dipping tobacco.
10th grade = had my first cigarette and black and mild. Smoked and dipped often. Dipped more than smoked.
11th grade = more of the same.
12th grade = smoking decreased significantly. Went down to.... maybe one every 3 days, if that. Now, for the past 4-5 months I haven't smoked a single thing, so I'm happy about that. I don't plan on smoking again. I mean, I'll smoke the occasional black or whatever if I'm REALLY feeling it (read: one in a blue moon), but cigarettes, blugh. Cigarettes also would kill me when I would ride my bike at the skatepark; I would hit the spine and quarter... then bunnyhop over the kicker, and be out of breath, so I was like screw this.

All I do is dip now. For all you who are most likely gonna say OH DISGUSTING!!?!!?!?! YOUR FACE IS GONNA FALL OFF... I had a dental appointment Friday and my doctor didn't even know I dipped until he asked me after my cleaning. He said my teeth and gums were perfect. Remember, I've dipped for almost 5 years now. All you gotta do is brush your teeth regularly, folks, just like any other day. You're not going to die the second you put your third dip in.
Formerly quite reasonable.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 05:08:31 PM »
There's no way I'll ever smoke. When I was young, I remember bugging my dad to quit smoking after learning about what it does to your lungs. He always seemed to want to quit, but he may have been humoring me. It took him several attempts with nicotine patches and cold turkey before he finally managed to quit sometime in 2000.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 05:32:37 PM »
Smoking wouldn't fit my cynical personality of looking down on everybody. Also, it's disgusting.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 05:33:02 PM »
If you mean cigarettes then no. But I'm not afraid to.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 05:44:24 PM »
Nah. While I see smoking as a person's way of calming down after a hard day, I don't think spending over a hundred bucks a month is worth it. And like Forest Guy said, it's disgusting.

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 05:45:44 PM »
Forest Guy you convinced me not to start smoking. Thanks.

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 05:58:05 PM »
I will never ever ever smoke. And I don't see myself drinking that much.

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 06:14:27 PM »
I will drink excessively.

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 06:42:48 PM »
"it's always the present"

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 06:48:41 PM »
Yeah well I'm only open about talking about cigs?

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 06:59:21 PM »
I think my dad made me try a cigar when I was like 8 so I voted the first option.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 07:02:16 PM »
You made me think of Calvin.
That was a joke.

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 07:05:16 PM »
I was too youung to tell if I like it when my Grandma made me try a cigarette. I wasn't even aware of what it was so I was probably 5 or 6.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 07:28:14 PM »
Never before, never in the future. That goes for all non-prescription drugs. And like bobman, I can't see myself as a habitual drinker either.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 07:29:48 PM »
Cigarette = tar, formaldehyde, rat poison, ammonia, carbon monoxide, etc. etc. etc.

My question is this: If this crazy stuff is in cigarettes, why are tobacco companies allowed to put it in there?

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008, 07:31:20 PM »
Population control.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2008, 07:49:46 PM »
Are you into all these little government conspiracies or what?

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2008, 07:52:00 PM »
And I have my reasons.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 07:54:01 PM by nensondubois »

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2008, 08:29:17 PM »
Because the tobacco companies share a cut with the government to keep selling the stuff. And yes, I believe this is true.
every

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2008, 09:10:38 PM »
I've never smoked; I feel uncool.  I'd like to try just one cigarette just once, but I probably never will, because I don't like spending money, and carbon monoxide isn't good for the environment or people.  I feel bad how rude people are to those that do smoke, even if I'd prefer they didn't.

I don't want to drink alcohol ever.  I blame family experiences.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2008, 10:06:32 PM »
Never have, never will. 
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2008, 10:14:16 PM »
"and carbon monoxide isn't good for the environment"

Oh come on...

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2008, 10:29:22 PM »
Well, I do make a habit out of going through the garbage cans throughout my dorm and taking out the bottles and putting them in the recycling bins.  Every little bit almost helps, doesn't it?

I've found about two jars, a fork, and five perfectly clean baskets going through garbage.  I've also remained single...

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2008, 10:35:14 PM »

My question is this: If this crazy stuff is in cigarettes, why are tobacco companies allowed to put it in there?
Because the government's job isn't to protect us from ourselves? There's warnings all over the packages, so it doesn't make a difference what goes into them. I for on think all drugs should be legal. Do I do drugs? No. However if one wants to spend their money on a practice that kills themselves, then why allow that money to be illegally funneled into the pockets of criminals/foreign agents.
= = = = = = =

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2008, 10:58:40 PM »
Never have smoked, never will smoke. I've been trying to get my dad to stop for the past 14 years or so and he still hasn't, and his teeth are an absolute nightmare. Not to mention his breath, nasty cough, and overall poor health.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2008, 11:00:58 PM »
I guess my question should be.... why do tobacco companies put that stuff in cigarettes in the first place..... I don't think poisions, etc. would add to the taste, or help preserve it... or do anything else... so yeah why

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2008, 12:49:16 AM »
It's all part of making them addictive. It's similar to why something as simple as "apple juice" contains more than two ingredients. Any quick look at the side of most apple juices will show a list of barely recognizable compounds, chemicals, and other preservatives. Reason being, they need all that to maintain the "goodness" of it. Goodness being the bare drinkability of it, basically in that if they don't add over 9000 chemicals, it will be even worse than it already is.

In the same vein, cigarette companies add in dozens of chemicals and other crazy stuff in order to maximize the enjoyable, addictive quality of their cigarettes, in the most efficient way possible, hence using things that are poisonous or downright "what the hell?". I don't know the exact specifications of that garbage, such as why tar or urea is found in them, but it's all a big corporate grandma's recipe, just like you'd find in other markets like fast food. (I.e. why just one mcdonald's hamburger can contain meat from nearly a thousand different cows)
= = = = = = =

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2008, 12:53:31 AM »
I once found a McDonald's fry in my car that was perfectly intact after having been dropped there at least 6 months before.
That was a joke.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2008, 01:02:23 AM »
Someone has REALLY never touched their car before.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2008, 01:06:31 AM »
This was quite a while ago, and it had been a while since cleaning. Also, I can't remember the last time I actually had any McDonald's food.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2008, 07:37:16 AM »
You made me think of Calvin.
"Hmm... it says here you have to be 18 or older to smoke."
"Eighteen?! By then I'll know better!"

But seriously, I can answer this thread's query in two words:

No. Why?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2008, 07:54:07 AM »
I once found a McDonald's fry in my car that was perfectly intact after having been dropped there at least 6 months before.

Have you seen Super Size Me? There's a bonus scene on the DVD where he takes a a Big Mac, a Fillet O' Fish, a Quarter Pounder, a Medium Fries, a regular burger from a regular diner, and some regular steak fries from a regular diner and puts them all into jars. The regular burger and regular fries are the first thing to decompose. Then the McDonald's sandwiches start to rot. The McDonald's fries on the other hand, never rotted. Not even after 10 weeks, which is when everything in the jars were thrown out due to the stench.

I don't know what the hell they put in those fries, man.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2008, 08:02:16 AM »
At the current time I do not want to start smoking. It's expensive, gross, and harmful. However, I can't say that my viewpoint won't change in the future (although I wouldn't like for it to change).

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2008, 08:31:21 AM »
I intend to never smoke (I'm constantly strapped for cash as it is, and don't want to plop down hundreds a month on crap that slowly kills me) or chew tobacco (tried it once and nearly barfed), although drinking's another story. I've had booze in the past and will continue to do so but, so far, have never gotten drunk (although that depends on what your definition of drunk is).
every

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2008, 01:16:20 AM »
Did you try dipping or chewing? I'm guessing you meant dipping?

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2008, 02:02:45 AM »
What do you dip it in?  Ketchup?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2008, 08:00:09 AM »
More brown fatal crap, I guess.

Luigison

• Old Personâ„¢
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2008, 04:26:51 PM »
The McDonald's fries on the other hand, never rotted. Not even after 10 weeks, which is when everything in the jars were thrown out due to the stench.

I don't know what the hell they put in those fries, man.
I don't think it's what they put "in" the fries, but what they take out that makes them last so long.  Compare fries at Micky Dee's to other places and you'll notice that McDee's fries are dry and crunchy while most other's are soggy and limp.  McDonald's process removes water from there fries.  Without water most microscopic organism will not eat them.  I'm not saying this to support McDonald's; french fries are definitely unhealthy compared to many other foods.  They sure make a nice ketchup delivery system though. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2008, 10:12:17 PM »
Luigison puts french fries on his ketchup.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2008, 10:39:46 PM »
Luigison's got it reversed; McD's fries are always limp or otherwise ill-suited for consumption. Burger King and Wendy's make the best standard-style fries (not counting curly fries, cheese fries, homestyle fries, steak fries, etc.).
every

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2008, 12:17:12 AM »
Burger King fries are the worst.

It's called dipping since you 'dip' your fingers in the can to get some ... well dip. And when you ask "Can I get a pinch," apparently that means you're asking for some dip cuz you pinch your fingers to get the dip. ha.

When did this thread turn into "Which fries stay crunchy the longest?"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2008, 07:41:21 AM »
Right about here:

What do you dip it in?  Ketchup?

*Torches/pitchforks mob marches toward Markio's house*

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2008, 12:46:55 PM »
Like I'm the controversial one here.

No, but I actually wanted to know what dipping was.

« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2009, 08:35:39 PM »
I grew up in a house with smoking, so naturally I picked it up.  I am aware of all the bad things it does for you, but I find it to be a great stress reliever.  I find it helps pass the time while waiting for stuff like loading pages or slow games or commercials.  It used to give me a headbuzz, but not so much anymore.  I find it's a good way to start my day.  I am aware that people look down on me for doing it, and I don't care...in fact I hate people who try to yell at me for it, as if I'm oblivious to the world.  That makes me want to smoke even more.  I will quit when I'm good and ready.

« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2009, 11:22:10 PM »
I have never smoked (and never will smoke) out of respect for my dad. He has severe asthma because my grandmother smoked when she was pregnant with him. I don't even touch a cigarette at a party/get together with friends.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2009, 01:09:25 AM »
I will quit when I'm good and ready.

Yeah, you keep telling yourself that.

I honestly don't mind if others smoke, as long as they do it when I'm not around. I can't stand the smell of a cigarette, lit or otherwise. I also don't see how it can be seen as attractive, since it doesn't take long for the effects to kick in. Seeing a beautiful woman hacking up or struggling to breath is a sad site to behold.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2009, 07:14:27 AM »
Buy a stress ball if you want to chill. Also, I'm struggling to imagine someone smoking while a videogame loads.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2009, 07:19:21 AM »
Yeah, you keep telling yourself that.

I honestly don't mind if others smoke, as long as they do it when I'm not around. I can't stand the smell of a cigarette, lit or otherwise. I also don't see how it can be seen as attractive, since it doesn't take long for the effects to kick in. Seeing a beautiful woman hacking up or struggling to breath is a sad site to behold.

I don't see myself ever smoking (which I've already mentioned).  And if I did, unlike a beautiful woman, I wouldn't have the good looks to distract from the utter unattractiveness of smoking.  Maybe if I wore sunglasses, too...
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2009, 10:52:32 AM »
Also, I'm struggling to imagine someone smoking while a videogame loads.

"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2009, 12:39:33 PM »
Seeing a beautiful woman hacking up or struggling to breath is a sad site to behold.

Not to mention the stuff it's gonna do to her teeth.

I just...pretty much hate smoking altogether. The act killed both my grandparents, almost killed my dad and would've killed me had my mother chose not to quit when she was pregnant with me.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 12:41:58 PM by PaperLuigi »

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2009, 03:33:13 PM »
Also, you ever kiss someone after they smoke? Totally icky.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2009, 09:22:37 PM »
CE7 just gave the response of the year. I guess that's for real...?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2009, 09:52:29 PM »
I guess it is.
That was a joke.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2009, 11:09:51 AM »
You guys missed the most disgraceful part of that load screen: "4 minute(s) remaining"

That load bar is only at like 50%.

« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2009, 11:51:11 AM »
Luckily (I use that term lightly), it only takes 8 minutes to load the 1st act. Each successive act takes about 3 minutes to load, bringing the total loading time to about 20 minutes.

Which, in hindsight, still really sucks. Not to mention the extremely long cutscenes.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2009, 01:43:44 PM »
Especially since they could've easily hidden the loading inside the cutscenes, God of War style. I have made many jokes in the past concerning the subject, but MGS4 was the first game where I actually went to the kitchen, made, and ate a sandwich during a loading screen.
every

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2009, 06:15:50 PM »
Doesn't EA own a patent on doing interesting things during loading screens?
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2009, 06:43:26 PM »
I don't smoke...yet. Chances are I won't.
One Ring to rule them all. One Ring to find them. One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2009, 06:47:06 PM »
it's also kinda stereotypical to assume that everyone who smokes is always hackin up a lung

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2009, 11:25:57 PM »
Rolled combinations of rat poison and fireplace debris are known to cause that.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2009, 11:40:39 PM »
Well bullykoopa, fact is, all the people I know who smoke are in fact coughing uncontrollably.
That was a joke.

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2009, 12:31:00 AM »
Smoking = death.
What's your problem, Cambodian?

« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2009, 12:41:16 AM »
Living=Death

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2009, 12:55:26 AM »
It's more like living = slowly dying. Living definitely does not equal death. Similarly, smoking usually does not equal death, it equals swiftly dying.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2009, 07:21:45 AM »
Everyone's dying, but you can speed it up or slow it down as you please.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2009, 11:50:15 PM »
Living=Death

MORIR ES VIVER, MORIR ES VIVER
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2009, 07:15:31 AM »
[Cue two pages of zombie discussion]

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2009, 10:50:19 PM »
All the "4000 different chemicals" and poisonous stuff you guys mention aren't all in the cigarette to begin with. You may think "oh they sit down with each other and think 'okay how we gonna kill people today... let's put poop, rat poison, tar, etc. in the cigarette'" but, it's actually you, the end user, who is manufacturing the vast majority of the chemicals. Think of the the tobacco curing process, the substance that holds the cigarette together, preservatives, and the tobacco and paper itself. Lighting that complex arrangement of chemicals on fire will definitely make thousands more different chemicals.... so yeah.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2009, 10:54:42 PM »
And this makes it better... how? Second hand smoke is still more toxic than smoking in the first place.
That was a joke.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2009, 08:38:46 PM »
I'm not saying it makes it better at all... just some people think that a lot of the crazy byproducts of cigarettes are injected into the cigarette to begin with as if cig companies there all day and plot what horrible stuff to put it yet a lot of what people trip out isn't even there until the person smokes it... so some people are just misled when they say something like "The cigarette companies *put* those *harmful chemicals* [that you produce] in cigarettes... they're horrible people."

The whole point of the paragraph, in another sense, is it's your friggin' fault if you wanna smoke. Cig companies just make the cigarettes and it's your decision whether you wanna burn the cigarette and produce those harmful byproducts.... so you can't say it's all 100% a cigarette company's fault.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2009, 09:51:25 PM »
I'm not even sure your information on this matter is accurate, to be honest. There are plenty of harmful chemicals in it when manufactured. Things like formaldehyde, if I recall correctly, which you'd have to be stupid to want to ingest in the first place. Besides that, of course I can say it's 100% the cigarette company's fault, since if you're right, they market their products for the express purpose of being lit on fire and "producing" the byproducts. Lastly, you must surely be aware that cigarettes are designed to be addictive so you will keep buying and using them. Seriously man, the blame is squarely on cigarette companies. Stupid people are going to be taken advantage of one way or another.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 09:54:17 PM by Chupperson Weird »
That was a joke.

« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2009, 09:11:22 PM »
I think south park said it best in that one episode where they tour the tobacco company.  "We work all day making cigarettes!  Who wants to live to be 90 anyways!"  hahaha.  It's just a drug...like alcohol.  That's part of your choice of freedom.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2009, 09:12:57 PM »
Difference being that alcohol doesn't permanently damage you if you so much as ingest a little bit of it, or consume it in small amounts. Cigarettes start destroying your body the second you use them.
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2009, 07:07:36 PM »
If cigarette companies can create a cigarette that is proven not to produce secondhand smoke, then I will glady change my perception of cigarettes. It'd be the equivalent of doing heroin, as opposed to doing heroin while simultaneously injecting everyone around with a deadlier form of said heroine.

Sorry if I sound like I'm trying to take the moral high ground here, but this should be seen as a very black-and-white issue. When you smoke, you're inflicting harm on other people.
every

« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2009, 07:13:09 PM »
indeed

Jman

• Score
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2009, 04:10:05 PM »
Nope.  I want to die at my own pace, thank you.
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

Print