5 (5.3%)
Barack Obama
6 (6.3%)
Vladimir Putin
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: January 20, 2013, 01:26:01 AM

Print

Author Topic: Presidents  (Read 7617 times)

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« on: January 18, 2009, 01:26:01 AM »
Pick your eight favorite presidents. Not just the ones who helped the nation the most or whose policies you most agree with or whatever. The ones with the most entertaining names. The ones with the most intriguing past. The most underrated ones. Any criteria at all. Because if everyone just picks Washington and Lincoln, it'll be kind of boring.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 01:29:59 AM »
I didn't know there were any presidents besides Washington, Lincoln, and Nixon. But I voted anyway.

Also, whudup with this poll expiring so early?
every

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 07:44:16 PM »
Rutherford B. Hayes has the best name ever and William Henry Harrison was a real man.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 08:35:33 PM »
William Henry Harrison, James K. Polk, Millard Fillmore.

Coolest Presidents, coolest names.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 10:33:45 PM »
Rutherford B. Hayes has the best name ever and William Henry Harrison was a real man.
A real man, but unfortunately, medical assistance of the time wasn't good enough for him. Very dedicated man. I'm still working on my decisions.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 11:05:35 PM »
I don't like posting on this board, but I like talking about our former leaders. So...

James K. Polk is a great president because he pretty much did everything he promised (to start, think Manifest Destiny).

FDR is a great president because he got us through what is often remembered as the world's darkest hour (or years, whatever floats your boat).

Harry Truman is great because he helped rebuild Germany with the Marshall Plan, got us through the Korean War, and didn't let people boss him around.

Dwight Eisenhower is a great president because he built up our defenses, contained communism, and built the Interstate Highway.

Theodore Roosevelt expanded America's influence beyond our borders (not everyone likes this, however).

I'm also a fan of Ronald Reagan. Not everyone likes him. However, I appreciate how he helped (with the aid of Gorbachev) bring the USSR down. He also boosted our defenses among other good accomplishments.

I also picked George Washington and Abraham Lincoln...pretty self-explanatory.

Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Jman

• Score
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 11:32:21 PM »
A real man, but unfortunately, medical assistance of the time wasn't good enough for him. Very dedicated man. I'm still working on my decisions.

Wasn't William Henry Harrison the guy who died within a month of starting his term?
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 11:35:34 PM »
Yes, because he talked himself to death.

Washington and Lincoln for obvious reasons. James K. Polk because They Might Be Giants made a song about him (this reason doesn't work for Harrison and Tyler because I liked Polk before I heard the song anyway). Theodore Roosevelt because he was a badass - just ask John Hodgman! (Or don't. Read More Information Than You Require instead, since it's all in there. Also most of the book is made up but Teddy was a cool president anyway.)

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 11:46:52 PM »
William Henry Harrison's my favorite. Why? He's my ancestor.

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 01:07:25 AM »
It's interesting to note that I know a few people related to presidents (for starters, a girl in my high school orchestra is related to Herbert Hoover).

I'm related to the (obviously non-president) dread pirate Captain Morgan.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

CrossEyed7

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 03:47:24 AM »
I'm probably very distantly related, mostly by marriage, to Kennedy, both Roosevelts, Bush, Obama, Cheney, Palin, Anderson Cooper, Princess Di, and a bunch of other people, though I haven't gotten the connections completely mapped out yet.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 12:35:04 PM »
I'm related to Buffalo Bill (the one who isn't the serial killer) and freakin' Lincoln, by marriage.
every

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 04:54:01 PM »
Priscilla Mullins is my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great- great-great-great-great-grandmother.

Getting on topic...  I don't even know of 8 presidents I like.  Reagan was the best, but I also voted for George Washington and John Adams.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Jman

• Score
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 01:42:22 AM »
I'm just wondering how many people have chosen Obama, before his first day in office.  In DC, it's nuts.  Obama has garnered comparisons to some of the greatest presidents of all time and he hasn't even done hardly anything yet.  I'm not bashing, I'm just stating my opinion that it is kind of weird to get this worked up this early.

Also: It is my belief that President Bush (and this is the last time I can call him that) did his best to keep America safe, at the expense of his popularity, in the years following 9/11.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 01:46:45 AM by Jman »
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 02:18:53 AM »
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 03:20:31 AM by CrossEyed7 »

Print