Poll

When are you going to start calling it the twenty-hundreds?

As soon as 2010 starts
2 (15.4%)
2011, when calling it the two thousands starts getting cumbersome
2 (15.4%)
Sometime between 2011 and 2020
0 (0%)
2020, when it's symmetrical
1 (7.7%)
Sometime between 2020 and 2099
0 (0%)
2100, when saying "two thousand one hundred" will sound dumb
2 (15.4%)
Sometime after 2100
3 (23.1%)
I already do
1 (7.7%)
I'm calling it something else (explain!)
2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: January 01, 2010, 12:44:49 AM

Print

Author Topic: Year pronunciation?  (Read 2929 times)

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« on: April 03, 2009, 12:44:49 AM »
2010 is coming up.

How did you read that sentence? Did you say "two thousand ten" or "twenty ten"? Or something else? This year, the convention is almost universally "two thousand nine", sometimes with an and, but next year will be the first real chance to go back to the conventional way of saying years. Will you do it? Saying two thousand is going to be cumbersome before too long -- I doubt my great-great-grandkids will say they were born in "two thousand one hundred and fifty-seven".

I'm anticipating that the norm will be to call it the twenty-hundreds, as we've done for just about every other century, and will be switching over immediately. I already use twenty for all the years from 2010 on, and once the 2010s start, I'll probably also start using it retroactively for most of this decade. So...

Additionally, you can talk about what you're going to (or already do) call this decade. I haven't decided yet, but I know that I don't really like Noughties much.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 07:26:45 AM »
I put 2020, because that's closest to 2015.  I've decided that'll be the year that the change comes, because that's also when hover technology and self-drying clothes will be invented. 
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 09:24:38 AM »
I will never call this century the "twenty-hundreds," and I don't think it will be the accepted term for it. I will keep calling it the the two-thousands, because the "twenty-hundreds" sounds dumb considering it's not even a correct term. If I live past 107, I will call the new century I live in the "twenty-one-hundreds," but I will never call this one the "twenty-hundreds."

I think this decade should also be known as just the two-thousands.
What's your problem, Cambodian?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 01:03:31 PM »
I will continue to speak the names of years in the only logical fashion. The 1000s were not the "ten hundreds". The 2000s are not the "twenty hundreds". That has never been a numerical convention. "Twenty oh nine" would be an unwieldy and ridiculous thing to call this year. "Two thousand nine", being the actual name of the number, uses the same amount of syllables, which makes it only logical to refer to it by its correct name. The naming convention regarding other decades kicks in next year, following the example of years like 1066 as "ten sixty six".
In short, this century will never be called the "twenty hundreds". The rest of your post leads me to believe that this wasn't even your question to start out with, and instead it seems that you assume people will not realize that the dates will be called according to pre-existing conventions as you suspect. This eventually leads me to dismiss this topic as an utter waste of time.
That was a joke.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 01:47:38 PM »
it seems that you assume people will not realize that the dates will be called according to pre-existing conventions as you suspect.
I'm having a hard time parsing that, but see if this helps:

The poll question was pretty awkwardly worded, because I was trying to come up with a concise way to ask it that was different from the way I was asking it in the post, so as not to be monotonous. The question was if/when you'll say "twenty _____" rather than "two thousand _____". What sparked it was the thought that eventually we're pretty much going to have to switch over to "twenty _____", and wondering when precisely we as a society will make that transition.

As for calling this year twenty-oh-nine and this century the twenty-hundreds, that is less likely for our generation (I'm already used enough to saying twenty for 2010 and on that I probably won't have a problem doing it for all these years, at least if that's what we end up doing; and I would like to call it the twenty-hundreds rather than the two thousands just for clarity's sake), but I have a feeling that our kids, who will probably be growing up in the 20s and 30s, will get used to always saying "twenty _____", and so will likely retroactively refer to this decade that way too, speaking of the past in the context they grew up in, similar to the way we who grew up in the 80s and 90s call 1906 "nineteen-oh-six" rather than "nineteen hundred six", whereas someone who was alive to see the switch to 1900 would be more likely to go with the latter. The additional zero will certainly be a complicating factor, but I think you're overestimating its effect.

Ultimately, we can't predict it. Comparisons to the way we talk about the 1000s aren't totally valid. Someone who grew up in the 2030s will immediately think of the number 2000 as being the year 30 years before 2030, when we look at the number 1000, it's so long ago that we see it as a number primarily, and a year secondarily, so by the time we're thinking about it as a year, we've already parsed it as being a thousand. Or at least that's the way I think my brain works.

And yes, it's pretty much a pointless waste of time, but this is an internet forum. If this does have a point, ultimately it's about exploring the different ways we think about things. You're being a bit closed-minded about it, really. Despite your claim that "the naming convention regarding other decades kicks in next year," there have already been replies saying that they're not following that until later into the decade, the overwhelming majority of commercials I've seen that talk about financing with no interest until 2010 are still pronouncing it in Old Style, and my IRL friends seem to be pretty evenly split on it. There's not as much of a consensus as you seem to think, or at least it's not evident yet. And your complaint that "'Twenty oh nine' would be an unwieldy and ridiculous thing to call this year" sounds dangerously close to get-off-my-lawn talk. The next generation will call it whatever they want to call it, and if we don't like it, that makes it, if anything, more likely to happen.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 04:52:31 PM »
I think your reasoning is flawed, because I see no evidence that says people who experienced the first decade of the 1900s didn't refer to the year 1906 as "nineteen oh six" or "nineteen six", so there's not a solid basis on which to base a comparison. "Nineteen hundred six" is used in more formal situations, of course.
And I made my statement about the naming convention because that is what it is, whether people are cognizant of that or not.
That was a joke.

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 05:38:47 PM »
We should pronounce it as "twenty ten" because pronouncing it as "two thousand ten" or "two thousand seventeen" would be a mouthful.
"It's vital to reflect occasionally on whether one is overdoing whatever it is one person is doing." ~Toadsworth

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 07:24:02 PM »
I hope the Twenty-hundreds will not suck as much as the the 21 century.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 09:24:24 PM »
All those options made my head hurt, so let me just say that I'm calling this decade and this century "the two-thousands". Deal wit' it.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Print