Print

Author Topic: Transitional Fossil  (Read 42404 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 02:15:28 PM »
This seriously did not need to turn into Religious Discussion #45. Honestly, evolution and religion are not opposites, people, nor are they 100% related. Learn to seperate the two.
every

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 02:21:41 PM »

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 06:22:30 PM »
Is it bad that I'm thinking of the Piltdown Man right now?
That depends on what you are thinking about Piltdown Man.  Since most of the above posts are creationism vs evolution* it may be important to point out that Piltdown Man was a hoax purported by Charles Dawson**.  Also, it was science that proved Piltdown Man a fake, not religion.  Science is a self-correcting process.  So, if this new transitional*** fossil is fake to should meet the same demise. 

* I purposely did not use the term Darwinism.  Evolution did not end with Darwin. 
** Not to be confused with Darwin.  I've heard many people confuse the two. 
*** I also don't like the "missing link" moniker.  It implies that just-one-more will make evolution complete. 

I guess that still makes me a Christian then because I haven't denounced that yet.
Ditto.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 06:27:29 PM »
Yeah, it was basically a "what if this is fake" type thought.
That was a joke.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2009, 09:12:44 AM »
Fake or maybe misinterpreted, says my uncynical side.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2009, 10:30:20 AM »
That's uncynical?
That was a joke.

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2009, 02:07:27 PM »
That's uncynical?

No, this is an uncynical:

Anyways, I think that it's been pretty soudly established that these bones, whatever they happen to be, are authentic. You know, PL was right about the title of "missing link" being a misnomer -- I had always thought the term referred to the supposed middle ground between man and monkey, not chimp and dinosaur-era creature.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 02:12:16 PM by Weegee »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2009, 04:48:05 PM »
Your jokes are getting worse, Weegee. I suggest you quit while you're ahead. :P

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2009, 06:06:45 PM »
Actually, the fact that his jokes are bad makes him awkwardly hilarious.

-Believe they are entitled to something that excuses them from submission to God.

Why would God create us and then demand that our entire life be one of submission? And that if we don't submit, we suffer forever? If it's because God knows what's best for us, how are we to know what He wants?

« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 06:14:17 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2009, 06:38:24 PM »
We don't know what God wants...and I already said that it shouldn't matter to any of us because it's probably not possible for any normal human to comprehend such a power. This is why I think nobody has any right to tell anybody that they know what God wants better than others do (in this case Turtlekid).

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2009, 06:47:03 PM »
Well, don't discoveries like this contradict the Bible?

Why, yes it does completely.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2009, 07:05:44 PM »
If it's because God knows what's best for us, how are we to know what He wants?

There's this great little book called the Bible...

We don't know what God wants...and I already said that it shouldn't matter to any of us because it's probably not possible for any normal human to comprehend such a power. This is why I think nobody has any right to tell anybody that they know what God wants better than others do (in this case Turtlekid).

You just don't get it, do you?  This is not me telling you I know what God wants.  This is me telling you what the Bible says, which is most definitely what God wants.

That's uncynical?

My suspicion that it was misinterpreted is somewhat less cynical than my suspicion that it was deliberately faked.

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2009, 07:08:44 PM »
There's this great little book called the Bible...

How can you be so certain that the Bible is the inerrant word of God?
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2009, 07:13:06 PM »
Here we go again...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2009, 07:31:33 PM »
It's reliable.

Several scientific truths (such as the shape of the earth) were related in the scriptures before they were "discovered."  (Not in today's technical jargon, mind you.)

Many prophecies in the Bible concerning Jesus, Rome, historical events, etc. have been fulfilled.

We derive our moral laws from the Bible.  Would it not be foolish to derive such laws from a book that isn't totally inerrant?

Print