Poll

You can own only one:

Xbox 360
23 (76.7%)
PlayStation 3
7 (23.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Print

Author Topic: 360 versus PS3  (Read 78738 times)

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2009, 01:11:13 PM »
I'm only interested in a few games that aren't on the Wii, and all of those games are on both the 360 and the PS3, so I got the 360 just because of the lower price and convenience since it's what most of my friends have.

Also worth mentioning is that I like how Sony doesn't keep rearranging the buttons and feel on their new controllers.
Hah, this reminds me of how the Xbox 360's four-button setup is different from the one Nintendo uses; A/B and X/Y are in opposite places. When I first got the 360, I had to get used to the different setup, because whenever I had to hit, for example, X, I'd instinctively hit Y instead. Eventually, I got used to it...and now it's messing me up in Yoshi's Island's balloon-throwing minigame. :P
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2009, 01:49:09 PM »
Yeah, taking "sides" in a console "war" is immature and infantile and exactly what the manufacturers want you to do.

But if I were to, hypothetically, take a side, I'd choose PS3 cos I rep Sony 4 life FREE INTERNET SON, RATCHET & CLANK MUTHA****A, WHAT
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2009, 03:02:49 PM »
The PS3 was the first non-Nintendo videogame system I ever bought, and I got a used old one because it had PS2 backwards compatability, Blu-Ray, and--as I understood it--most of the 360's games with a lower failure rate (However, I've heard Microsoft did something about the RRoD issue. Was it a hardware thing or just that warranty extension or what?)

To put it a different way...

Why Assorted Pro-360 Arguments are Irrelevant to Me

"It has better online": Well, that's what I've heard, but I don't live where I have constant access to non-dialup internet. Also, assuming I wasn't playing with friends (and maybe even then; and I think that would be more trouble than it was worth to choreograph that), I don't think I'd particularly enjoy playing online--assuming I even had time. Now, with PC games... maybe, but I haven't got any of those and I'm not sure I'll start.

"It's less blurry": Honestly, I looked at one of those comparison shots, and yes, the PS3 one's blurry, but I think I actually prefer it--at least in a still screengrab--over the jaggedness of the 360 one. I like the concept of being able to choose either look, though; I recall you could do that in Pikmin and SSBB.

"It has better exclusives": In what I assume is an understandable move, I don't necessarily seek out what good games there are on systems I don't own. From what I know of the 360, though, it seems that it and the PS3 share most games, with the 360's "exclusives" (a concept I've heard may die in the future, since it doesn't always make a whole lot of monetary sense for the developer) either eventually moving to the PS3 (or already on the PC, which I also obviously have, though I prefer console gaming) or being of a genre I'm not all that fond of.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2009, 05:39:17 PM »
(However, I've heard Microsoft did something about the RRoD issue. Was it a hardware thing or just that warranty extension or what?)

They simply enlarged the heatsink for theeeee..... I believe the CPU, if I'm not mistaken.

Also, while the blur definitely makes the game look like it's packing more polygons it just seems like it's not focused right and it can almost be literally nauseating when your eyes are trying to focus in on it. It's kind of the same feeling and focus problem you get while trying to look through a screen door or look through the screen of a microwave, etc.
Formerly quite reasonable.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2009, 07:13:43 PM »
As I stated earlier, I don't have a 360, but if I did I'd do this:  http://www.bukisa.com/articles/100378_invert-the-y-axis-by-default-on-xbox-360 

Score +1 for the 360. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2009, 08:30:14 PM »
Or, one could simply hold the controller upside-down. It works to the same end, and adds another layer of challenge. :'D
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2009, 04:08:59 AM »
Luigison, PS3 doesn't have a function like that? Surprising. That feature is one that I kind of take for granted, since I set it to permanent invert on Day 1 and haven't looked back.

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2010, 02:52:35 AM »
I ended up eventually choosing a PS3 over a 360 because it has free online right out the box and the controller is all too familiar to me. It's a shame the buttons aren't nearly as sturdy as the older Sony systems had them though, they all feel like they were molded onto the same base.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2010, 03:05:45 AM »
The controller is familiar, but it's far worse. The 360's sticks are lightyears beyond anyone else's and the PS3 L2/R2 are horrific abominations of Satan.

As for the online, have fun playing with all those mic-less people and using the horrific Trophy comparison UI.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2010, 07:59:10 AM »
[darn], just buy him a 360 yourself if you want to make such a fuss out of it.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2010, 08:06:59 AM »
I have no problems with the PS3 sticks, but I agree that the L2/R2 buttons are terrible.  There's an easy and cheap solution though:  http://www.amazon.com/PS3-Dual-Triggers-Playstation-3/dp/B001IAOEXU
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2010, 11:07:26 AM »
I like PS3's L2/R2.
Also I find absolutely no evidence to suggest that 360 has better sticks.
That was a joke.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2010, 12:07:39 PM »
I can't give a proper comparison to the 360, but I love the GCN triggers and stick.  Too bad about it's tiny c-stick and d-pad.  Chup, your fingers don't slip off the triggers? 

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2010, 12:25:00 PM »
Never.
Also I always thought the GCN D-pad was the absolute perfect size.
That was a joke.

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2010, 03:24:46 PM »
360 has the worst D-pad ever, but the best sticks and triggers. GCN had the worst triggers ever.

Print