Print

Author Topic: Comic Books  (Read 13282 times)

« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2011, 03:38:46 PM »
That's a bit of a defeatist attitude.  I think part of why it's an issue now, even when objectifying women in comics isn't really new is that they DID have a chance to do better.  And after the hoopla with the lack of diversity in the creative teams, how did no one in the process of creating these stories that are entirely intended to bring in new readers not think for a second "Well, maybe making Starfire stand around like this, nailing anything that moves, might not draw in a new group of readers". 

And many times when things like this are brought up, someone will say something to the effect that there are other comics out there, not Marvel or DC or whoever is under scrutiny, but that runs into the problem that, when done well, I enjoy these characters and stories.  I like Batman.  I want to read Batman stories.  I want Batman stories to not represent a group wholesale in a terrible fashion. 
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2012, 09:49:05 PM »
I dislike Romita, Jr. but Avengers vs. X-Men #1 had some neat panels, particularly the one where Cyclops blasts Captain America. I wish the book didn't have those ugly AR markers all over the pages though.

Poop flew out of my butt when Spider-Man punched Al Gore in the face in Amazing Spider-Man #683. Dan Slott, ladies and gentlemen. Dan Slott.

Print