Print

Author Topic: Singularity, or The Future of Us  (Read 8748 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 11:43:40 PM »
There is no part of me that thinks this is bad. I am 100% for transhumanism. If I can continue my conciousness in a machine, removing physical limitations, I would be first in line. And talking about "things are supposed to die or else life has no significance" is fearful rationalizing caused by death being something we can't yet avoid. Admittedly, these are things beyond my lifetime, but therenis hope that we can at least reach cybernetic and genetic augmentation in the (relatively) near future. Resources and population become less problematic, as more and more people place their minds in machines, less and less food is needed, population slows, as I know not everyone would want to be a machine, energy will be entirely renewable by that point.
Okay, this is something that really needs to be addressed: Any ideas on what "putting your mind into a machine" would even entail? A literal removal of the brain? An Avatar/Surrogates-esque transference of all motor functions? Would or could this be done at birth? In that case, what do you do with the body afterwards? Could you switch between the two? If not, how will people naturally reproduce? Will having robots for parents affect kids? Will people who are immortal even desire to reproduce? Does anybody else realize how ****ed-up this sounds the more you think about it?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2011, 09:13:24 AM »
Anyone ever notice that in fiction, it's only ever the villains or morally questionable characters who want to live forever?

Not saying that the correlation is completely... valid there, but still, it's something to consider.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 12:52:31 PM »
Anyone ever notice that in fiction, it's only ever the villains or morally questionable characters who want to live forever?

Why yes, I do.

Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Print