Print

Author Topic: Paint It Black  (Read 1510 times)

« on: May 04, 2002, 03:14:03 PM »
who else cant get enough of paint it black?? The original is good, but some of my favourite remakes are the one by Gob and the one by Rick Wakeman. The Rick wakeman one has no vocals, but its got some crazy keyboarding!! anyway, I just typed an 8 page essay on my interpretations of the lyrics of Paint It Black (anyone wanna see it?) so thats why I posted this. Oh yeah, I also posted this because Ive been listening to the song for 8 hours straight, because i needed to hear em for interpretations.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sors salutis
et virtutis
michi nunc contraria,
est affectus
et defectus
semper in angaria.
Hac in hora
sine mora
corde pulsum tangite;
quod per sortem
sternit fortem,
mecum omnes plangite!

I can get you the MARIO AND ZELDA CARTOONS!!!go to my "get the mario and zelda cartoons FREE!!!!" topic and request what episodes you want!!!

you really dont know, do you??

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2002, 03:37:10 PM »
I'd like to read your interpretation of the lyrics.

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2002, 04:05:24 PM »
well, because its the great frostbite, here is my interpretation that I slapped together in 2hrs. Please tell me what you think because this is actually a project for school, ive still got time to fix it so please tell me what u think!

lyrics:
I see a red door and I want it painted black
No colors anymore I want them to turn black
I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes
I have to turn my head until my darkness goes

I see a line of cars and they're all painted black
With flowers and my love, both never to come back
I see people turn their heads and quickly look away
Like a newborn baby it just happens ev'ryday

I look inside myself and see my heart is black
I see my red door, I must have it painted black
Maybe then I'll fade away and not have to face the facts
It's not easy facing up when your whole world is black

No more will my green sea go turn a deeper blue
I could not foresee this thing happening to you
If I look hard enough into the setting sun
My love will laugh with me before the morning comes

Hmm, hmm, hmm...

I wanna see it painted, painted black
Black as night, black as coal
I wanna see the sun, blotted out from the sky
I wanna see it painted, painted, painted, painted black
Yeah

my interpretation:(this is long)

PAINT IT BLACK

There are many different versions of “Paint It Black” out today, some of my favourites being the remake by Gob, and the version by Rick Wakeman. The original, however, was written way back in around 1966 by the Rolling Stones.

Many people find it hard to interpret lyrics created by the Rolling Stones because, “At times, they simply wanted to honestly explore a subject not otherwise discussed. In other songs, they wanted to draw attention to society's confusion between evil imagined and real, between arbitrary social conventions and real ethical principles. In many cases, they wanted to use the energy of such subjects to inspire their music. And in some cases, they simply seemed to be living up (or down) to people's expectations of them.”

I am unsure of what the Rolling Stones were trying to get at with “Paint It Black”, but hours of hard thinking and research led me to the conclusion that the person in the song has lost a loved one, and the only colour that appeals to him now is black, inside and out. Visually all he wants to see is the colour black, but inside he feels empty. Big hints at this were the lines “If I look hard enough into the setting sun, My love will laugh with me before the morning comes.” And “No colors anymore I want them to turn black.” Obviously he or she (most likely he) is upset about his loss, and will do anything to avoid facing the facts.

For better understanding I will interpret the song line by line, or at least verse by verse.

Line 1.1 reads “I see a red door and I want it painted black”. He (or she) isn’t literally going to paint the door black; he just wants it to be black so that its cheeriness won’t remind him of whoever he lost.

Line 1.2: “No colors anymore I want them to turn black”, which means the same as the previous line, but it seems he wants everybody to mourn his loss with him.

Line 1.3 and 1.4 state “I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes, I have to turn my head until my darkness goes”. This simply means that he has to look away because of their likeness to his loved one, and he can’t look at them again until he’s done mourning.

Now verse 2 starts. 2.1 and 2.2 read: “I see a line of cars and they're all painted black, With flowers and my love, both never to come back”. When I first read these lines, I thought it said the cars were painted with the flowers. But when I read them again I realized it just said that the flowers and his love wont come back.

Line 2.3 says, “I see people turn their heads and quickly look away”, as if they are disgusted or frightened by him.

And the last line of verse 2, “Like a newborn baby it just happens ev’ryday”. This line has a simile in it, comparing what’s happening to what it’s like to be from the point of view of a baby. The line says that his lusting and pain for everything to be black happens everyday without him even realizing, in the same way it would happen to a baby.

Verse 3 is the second most important verse in the entire song because it is the first time it talks about what the person in the song is actually feeling or experiencing.

This is what 3.1 says: “I look inside myself and see my heart is black”. What this means is that he is empty and his surroundings are dull. His life is dull and black. Instead of seeing what everybody else sees everyday, all the colours, all the happiness, all the fun, all the smiling faces are just black and expressionless to him. His heart his empty because he can’t feel anything but his pain and sorrow. That is exactly why everything is black and dull to him.

Line 3.2 simply says, “I see my red door, I must have it painted black”. He doesn’t say, “I want it painted black”, he says he MUST have it painted black. He is in deeper now and cant get out, and he must find a way to ease it all to get the pressure, pain, and sorrow off of him.

Line 3.3 is also very important; “Maybe then I'll fade away and not have to face the facts”. This proves my above statement that he is in too deep and can’t get out. This line specifically says that he if he has everything black, dull, and expressionless like him, It will BE him and he will disappear, not having to feel his sorrow and pain.

Line 3.4 concludes this important informational verse; “It's not easy facing up when your whole world is black”. This line is just as important as any other. It says that if his surroundings are him, he won’t be different anymore, which means he won’t have the unusual pain, sorrow, and pressure. Oh he’ll have pain, sorrow, and pressure, just not UNUSAL pain, sorrow and pressure, because if his whole world is just him, his pain, sorrow and pressure set the standards, and they are no longer unusual.

Verse 4 is the most important verse in the song. This is the verse when he begins to snap out of his trance-like lusting. Verse 4.1 “No more will my green sea go turn a deeper blue”, is the very beginning. I think it means that his lusting for colour changes has ended. He is no longer wanting everything to be black, or any other colour for that matter. 4.2 goes on to continue his snapping out of it.

4.2 is when the person in this song begins to realize it was not his fault and that he no longer needs everything to be black; “I could not foresee this thing happening to you”. Some people think he is talking about the trance-like lust for everything to be black, but I think he is talking about the thing that took his loved one from him.

4.3 and 4.4 continue on, strengthening his sudden realization. “If I look hard enough into the setting sun, My love will laugh with me before the morning comes”. Now, he is in another trance, this one is his trance of snapping out of the previous one. He is motionless and thoughtless, just staring into the setting sun. But then 4.4 signifies the complete end of the trance. He begins to realize what his life would be like out of his trances, in the real world, he sees what it would be like to be rid of his pain, sorrow, and pressure. He sees that if they all were gone, he would be living spiritually with his loved one. He sees this, and he likes it.

There are two more verses to this song:

And

I wanna see it painted, painted black
Black as night, black as coal
I wanna see the sun, blotted out from the sky
I wanna see it painted, painted, painted, painted black
Yeah

When people hear these, they think he fell back into his trance, but I don’t. Verse 5 is the same as verse 1, so I call it a chorus. Verse 6 breaks the pattern and rhythm of the song, but it is exciting so I call it a conclusion. I call verse 4 the very end of the song. If everything I just said confused you, put it this way: verse one and five are the chorus and verse 6 is the conclusion. Verse 4 ended the song, so that means that the person in the song snapped out of his trances and began to live like a normal person. He can still feel his loved one with him so he is content. Happy ending.

DO NOT USE THIS AS YOUR OWN, AT LEAST CHANGE A MOST OF IT OR GIVE ME PARTIAL CREDIT IF YOUR GONNA USE IT!!!

well??wadda ya guys think??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sors salutis
et virtutis
michi nunc contraria,
est affectus
et defectus
semper in angaria.
Hac in hora
sine mora
corde pulsum tangite;
quod per sortem
sternit fortem,
mecum omnes plangite!

I can get you the MARIO AND ZELDA CARTOONS!!!go to my "get the mario and zelda cartoons FREE!!!!" topic and request what episodes you want!!!

you really dont know, do you??

Print