Print

Author Topic: Mario Physics  (Read 4366 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: June 06, 2003, 11:32:40 PM »
How can Mario jump so high?  Is he super human with muscles that can exert more force faster than ours?  Is the Mushroom Kingdom on a planet with less gravity?  Does he have a steel plate in his head and a reinforce spine that allows him to hit his head on so many bricks?  Could he be in a different universe where the physics are different?  Maybe he's just a giant compared to the rest of his world?  What about the Super Mushroom, Fire Flower, and Starman?  Or, the other creature and things in the Mushroom Kingdom?

How would you use physics to explain Mario's abilities?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Random Signature:
"I bet Einstein turned himself all sorts of colors before he invented the light bulb."
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2003, 12:00:50 AM »
Ooh boy.  Trying to explain... or rationalize... or, whatever video game physics?  This is always a daunting task...

Just don't try it with Yoshi.  He's about as impossible as you can get in the Mario universe...

Go Moon!
Go Moon!

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2003, 02:28:57 AM »
Simple.  Mario has buns of steel.  He hits blocks with his fist, anyway.  Not his head.  
200 characters and nothing to say.

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2003, 07:51:36 AM »
Simple.  When Mario went down the warp pipe that led to Mushroom World, (in the book) it said he was working in front of a gypsy shop.  They said a bit of magic leaked out and changed the sewer he was working on.  Perhaps when the magic changed the sewer, it changed Mario into Super Mario!  It gave him his supernatural jumping ability, and his amazing endurance.

If I had a dime for every time someone called me forgetful, I''d... um... What were we talking about again?
Yoshi likes to dance in his backwards saddle!

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2003, 02:14:29 PM »
How can Mario jump so high? Is he super human with muscles that can exert more force faster than ours?

The Mushroom world has lesser gravity than Earth so people jumps higher. Also magic plays an important role. Additionally don't forget that Mario and Luigi train every day on perfect jumps. You'll see it in M&L (Mario & Luigi)

Does he have a steel plate in his head and a reinforce spine that allows him to hit his head on so many bricks?

He hits them with his fist. Also his fist is strong.

What about the Super Mushroom, Fire Flower, and Starman?

Those are items and not living people, althought they have eyes. The mushroom people made them that way to give them a nicer look

Note that Mario and co. collected so many extra lives that they are now semi-immortal. That's why nowadays Nintendo is filling up their classic games with lots of extra lives (I never lost all my lives in SMA3) and here's why Mario, Bowser play tennis, kart racing and boardgames instead of trying to destroy each other. It's just not worth it.

Cele the Ref

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2003, 02:17:24 PM »
your right all except the last part...the mushroom, fireflower, and Starman..along with most other items grow naturally in TMK...

It‘s-a me, Marionut#1!
It's-a me, Marionut#1!

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2003, 06:15:28 PM »
Hmm.. the Physics in the MK are like the Physics in the MATRIX...

BTW: Don't forget to watch the MATRIX XP (www.matrix-xp.com)

Edited by - Yoshizu on 6/7/2003 5:16:13 PM
----------
Yay,Finally I''''''''m back... after 6 months Japan x-Trem

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2003, 06:33:54 PM »
Luigison, is this what your lessons are like? That is cool! Learning what really goes on-on to the truth! Even though it sort of ruins Mario games a little-maybe-I don't know-I never took a physics class. I would like to know, though.^_^
-----------------------------
Mario likes to dance in his backwards pants! Yay!

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2003, 11:20:50 AM »
While it's true that Mario *used* to hit bricks with his hand, he now clearly uses his head. Ever since Super Mario 64, he hasn't put his fist up when he jumps. And when those pesky bricks came back in Super Smash Bros. Melee, Mario just kept on headin'. He must be building endurance in his old age, eh?

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven!”

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2003, 01:43:48 PM »
I think Mario has his skeleton made from that stuff like Woulverine in X-Men.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2003, 01:53:04 PM »
Simple. It's the Mushroom Kingdom--a MAGIC-FILLED place! Inconceivable stuff happens there.

--------------------
Deep inside us all is a little green elf telling us to burn things.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2003, 02:00:12 PM »
In the real-world, it's Physics, I guess.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2003, 10:48:52 PM »
Adamantium, jon, Adamantium.
That was a joke.

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2003, 09:04:06 AM »
But mario also jumps high in donkey kong, which takes place in brooklyn.
Mario is a cartoon,  and cartoons can do anything they want. the more realistic a cartoon, the more realistic the physics are. Just look at smash brothers.
and as for fireflowers mushrooms and stars: as saphira said, it's magic. they come from magic "item boxes" placed everywhere( my theory is that the star spirits use them to help the mario brothers).

The world would be a much cleaner place if people would eat their own trash.
"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2003, 10:55:53 AM »
Here's a quote from the Mariopedia regarding stars:

"These glowing trinkets originate from Star Road, and each one is the physical embodiment of a particular Earthling's wish. When a wish comes true, the star tumbles from the sky, often landing on Star Hill."

I like that.  And so there's still a bit of power reamining in them after they've fallen.  Not enough to grant a wish, but for invincibility, of course.

Go Moon!
Go Moon!

Print