Print

Author Topic: What if there was a new 8-bit Mario?  (Read 6885 times)

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2004, 09:50:02 AM »
I'm pretty sure you guys mentioned this already, but I would like Gamecube graphics with Super Mario Bros. (or 2, I like 2 more than both 1 and 3, but I know most people don't and I think Nintendo would make more money off one like 1 and 3) gameplay. I would even like it if it were just All-Stars with Gamecube graphics! =)

Do the Mario! Swing your arms from side to side, come on, it''s time to go do the Mario! Take one step, and then again, let''s do the Mario all together now! You got it! It''s the Mario! Do the Mario! Swing your arms from side to side, come on, it''s time to go do the Mario! Take one step, and then again! Let''s do the Mario altogether now! Come on now! Just like that!
Do the Mario! Swing your arms from side to side, come on, it''s time to go do the Mario! Take one step, and then again, let''s do the Mario all together now! You got it! It''s the Mario! Do the Mario! Swing your arms from side to side, come on, it''s time to go do the Mario! Take one step, and then again! Let''s do the Mario altogether now! Come on now! Just like that!

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2004, 11:06:11 AM »
Wow, good speech Hirocon. So true...

Yes, Yoshi's Story was way too easy.

Whoa, hold up, Wind Waker was not a short game. It's one of the few games that has ever taken me over a week to beat.

I'd say the only long, wholesome, games I've played in the past year or so, are Metroid Prime, F-Zero GX Wind Waker. Now, games like Double Dash and Superstar Saga were good but I beat Double Dash in about 4 days, and Superstar Saga in 6 days. Kirby Air Ride on the other hand provides a large amount of gameplay due to its innovative Checkbox objective. For those of you who never played it, there's some 360 Boxes to check off in the game and one is checked off everytime you complete a certain goal. However, the problem with this is that it gets tedious after a while and I have yet to check off all 360. I still love Double Dash and Kirby Air Ride, but they can't compare to Wind Waker or Prime. However, the new wave of tremendous replay games recently making a buzz such as Mario party games or Wario Ware Inc. games, I think are very good.

Unfortunately, Hirocon is right. The game business is shallow now. Everyone just wants pretty graphics with nothing more. Another problem is the surge of garbage games based on movies/cartoons or other pop-culture items such as Barbie that sell well due to the large amounts of moronic 9 year-olds who simply say "OH! I want that new Spongebob game!" yet they don't research the game at all. You could take the worst selling game in history (I forgot what it was) and give it a Spongebob theme or Barbie or something, and it would be instantly more successful than the original. When you see a video game about Dr. Seuss's "Green Eggs and Ham" is a video game, you know something is wrong.

Edited by - Meowrik on 4/12/2004 10:10:21 AM
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2004, 11:06:56 AM »
If SMB had 500 levels, I'd run crying.  I don't think I would buy a game that long, unless it was really good.  Besides, it would probably take till 2050 for Nintendo to make it.

I would buy SMB4 for GCN on one condition: it doesn't use the joystick.  From what I've experienced, it's hard to move a 2D character eficiently with a joystick.  I think it should use the D-Pad.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.

Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggy" until you can find a rock.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2004, 12:29:08 PM »
As long as Animal Crossing 2 has SNES games(including SMAS), I'll be happy. As for new 2D Mario games, I'd be happy with a true sequel to SMRPG, one where Smithy appears again, but for a different reason(such as revenge on Mario and them), and it turned out that Mario was on vacation(the game could take place during SMS), and Luigi was the main character. Different party members would be good too, such as Gaz(the kid who owned the Geno doll), or a mushroom person(they could have a bazooka, remember what Toad said that one time?), or something. I'd love it. And if they made it the same way they made SMRPG, it would be great. It could have different bosses, and different places, and it could have bonuses like M&L:SS(more than three choices). I'd love it. It would be really cool if they made SMA5 SMRPG, released it at the same time of SMRPG2, and gave the games a GC-GBA link, and let you unlock stuff like bonus minigames. Or, they could do a bundle pack: SMA5 and SMRPG2, plus a GC-GBA link cable and the other stuff they usually put in those bundle packs. I also think my other idea would be good: SM128 being a strategy game where you control 128 Marios against an army of the usual Mario enemies from SMB1, 2, and 3. It would appeal to a new audience, which would be good for Nintendo. Now, my eyes are hurting from looking at all this white in a small space(unlike my screen on mIRC), so I'll end this post by asking which of my two ideas you like best: SMRPG2 or SM128 being a strategy game?

("o0o") My metroid thinks you are stupid. People who
....v...v disagree with metroids often get sucked dry.
This is donotcare95, phasing out<•>_<•>

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2004, 12:51:35 PM »
It shouldn't matter how short a game is, as long as it's worth playing again.

Signature under Construction.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2004, 12:56:47 PM »
Wind Waker may not have been short compared to a lot of the other games being released nowadays, but it was certainly short compared to previous Zelda games.  Wind Waker had only five full temples.  LTTP had over twice that number.  You can dispute these numbers depending on which temples you clasify as "full" or "partial," but regardless of the details it is easy to see that LTTP was much, much longer than WW.  And many of the gamehours spent beating WW are on thoughtless "fetch-quests" such as retrieving the shards of the Triforce, whereas LTTP was relatively free of fetch-quests.  And it is my personal opinion that the temples LTTP were much, much more clever those in WW, which seemed fairly linear to me.  And the temples in LTTP were certainly much more challenging.

I actually liked WW very much, and had a lot of fun playing it.  But it quite simply was not of the same quality as LTTP, which I use as my standard of comparison for all RPG/adventure games.

This is not a signature.

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2004, 06:44:25 PM »
I know I must be the 100th person to ask this, but what is super mario 128? Is it the first game to came out to the ds or somthin?

If you made it to this sentince, you have no life.
:D

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2004, 07:00:16 PM »
...No one knows what SM128 will be. I still need an answer to my question. --> Which idea is better: SMRPG2 or SM128 being a strategy game?

("o0o") My metroid thinks you are stupid. People who
....v...v disagree with metroids often get sucked dry.
Somebody get this freakin'' duck away from me!~Strong Bad
This is donotcare95, phasing out<•>_<•>

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2004, 07:01:44 PM »
SMRPG2 is much better, because real-time strategy cannot work on consoles and there is a glut of turn-based strategy games flooding the market right now.

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven.”

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2004, 09:45:08 PM »
When you say SMRPG2, you mean Paper Mario, correct? That game was great, and I really can't wait for Paper Mario 2.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2004, 09:43:13 AM »
Vid, he said direct sequel, meaning a similar plot. Super Mario 128 is like the Mario 64 for Gamecube (is what is assumed), but don't be surprised if people start flaming you for not knowing every little thing there is to know so far. >_>

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2004, 11:59:14 AM »
Why is Sapphira editing all of twinrova's posts to say nothing?  Has he been banned?

C:     #define SIG "This is a sig."

C++:   const std::string SIG = "This is a sig.";

Java:  static final java.lang.String SIG = "This is a sig.";

Basic: This is a sig.

:)

Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggy" until you can find a rock.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2004, 02:00:28 PM »
twinrova is a hybrid of both jon and marioguy, bent on "destoying" the forums apparently by means of spamming, flaming and swearing combined. In fact, that is all and ONLY what they have done.

--------------------
Wise men talk because they have something to say;
fools, because they have to say something.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2004, 04:12:59 PM »
Super Mario 128 is supposed to have the elements that felt lacking in SM64.  Maybe Luigi?

"There are no such things as stupid questions, just stupid people."
"There are no such things as stupid questions, just stupid people."

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2004, 09:03:57 AM »
mario all stars with GCN graphics would be cool

<embed src="http://placksterworld.mysupermario.com/kookybanner.swf" width="493" height="79">
ako bp„yeme „yÆ’¢e hao„a„‰ke, ohÆ’¢a c„y hacpah

Print