Print

Author Topic: Mariology (serious posts wanted)  (Read 477062 times)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1635 on: October 09, 2008, 09:40:38 PM »
It didn't make sense in PiT?
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1636 on: October 09, 2008, 11:42:07 PM »
It was in anything except PiT?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #1637 on: October 10, 2008, 07:33:29 AM »
No and YIDS.

Like, for example, the MK future is unaffected by the shroom invasion when it affected MK past. So that either means that somewhere down the line, the brothers' efforts were for nothing because the threat would be eliminated somewhere down the line regardless if the princesses were stopped, or the writers didn't care. I'm betting the latter, as it helps support my claim.

« Reply #1638 on: October 10, 2008, 08:30:54 AM »
No and YIDS.

Like, for example, the MK future is unaffected by the shroob invasion when it affected MK past. So that either means that somewhere down the line, the brothers' efforts were for nothing because the threat would be eliminated somewhere down the line regardless if the princesses were stopped, or the writers didn't care. I'm betting the latter, as it helps support my claim.

Actually, it's a Ontological Paradox; when something in the present exists because of someones influence on the past. Mario and Luigi were supposed to travel back in time, because that's how the present came about; it's their role in history. This can be illustrated in the Futurama episode "Roswell that ends well", the Roswell incident is revealed to have been caused by the crew after they accidentally travelled back in time and crashed landing into past Earth. Roswell would have never happened if the crew didn't travel back in time. Likewise, the present would have been peaceful if Mario and Luigi didn't travel back in time to stop the Shroobs.

Though it begs the question: history shows that Mario and Luigi were always responsible for stopping the Shroobs, but then why didn't anyone mention it to Mario and Luigi? "Mario, green-guy, just want to remind you you'll have to travel back in time to stop some evil aliens, m'kay? In fact, why didn't Mario and Luigi remember it? They were smart enough to walk, after all. (Or maybe they did. I don't know remember, it's been a long time since I played that game).
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

Boo Dudley

« Reply #1639 on: October 10, 2008, 08:41:53 AM »
It's raises the question. And look a Back to the Future, Marty and his siblings started disappearing once his parents got split up. Until he fixes things, history starts to rewrite itself. Nothing in MK present shows any effects of the Shroob invasion that has yet to be stopped by the brothers. While BttF isn't anymore credible than Futurama (Which I know they have real scientists they consult) time-travel and its effects are largely up for grabs.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 08:58:04 AM by Boo Dudley »

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1640 on: October 10, 2008, 03:49:09 PM »
Tv Tropes has a page detailing all the time travel theories and their uses in fiction. The BttF trilogy exemplifies all three of them at some point.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1641 on: October 10, 2008, 03:55:33 PM »
That is such a depressing website.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1642 on: October 10, 2008, 03:57:39 PM »
You're a depressing website.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1643 on: October 10, 2008, 03:59:41 PM »
Yes, I suppose...

« Reply #1644 on: October 10, 2008, 04:06:57 PM »
It's raises the question. And look a Back to the Future, Marty and his siblings started disappearing once his parents got split up. Until he fixes things, history starts to rewrite itself. Nothing in MK present shows any effects of the Shroob invasion that has yet to be stopped by the brothers. While BttF isn't anymore credible than Futurama (Which I know they have real scientists they consult) time-travel and its effects are largely up for grabs.

That's because history was not being rewritten in Mario and Luigi, it was just following it's course; a course that would have inevitably lead to the present. As I see it, as long as the past doesn't change, the present should remain the same. The present would only have changed if the shroobs won.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

« Reply #1645 on: October 10, 2008, 05:26:34 PM »
Marty Mcfly only had his siblings disappear because he caused them to by going to the past. Mario and Luigi didn't cause the invasion.
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

Boo Dudley

« Reply #1646 on: October 10, 2008, 06:11:14 PM »
It's still cause and effect. It doesn't matter who's fault it was.

« Reply #1647 on: October 14, 2008, 09:20:16 AM »
Like, for example, the MK future is unaffected by the shroom invasion when it affected MK past. So that either means that somewhere down the line, the brothers' efforts were for nothing because the threat would be eliminated somewhere down the line regardless if the princesses were stopped, or the writers didn't care. I'm betting the latter, as it helps support my claim.
That's like asking why Poland isn't Nazi territory today even though Hitler invaded it in the past.  When you beat the game, you see that the Shroobs lose.

Boo Dudley

« Reply #1648 on: October 14, 2008, 09:32:12 AM »
Godwin's law? Here?

Listen, the history books show that Hitler invaded Poland. People remember Hitler invading Poland. There's physical evidence that he invaded Poland. It has crap to do with who owns it presently.

Go back to the drawing board, and don't be so quick to resort to bring Nazis into argument.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1649 on: October 14, 2008, 09:48:19 AM »
As far as I can tell, you're trying to make an argument based completely on things you made up. That doesn't sound like a recipe for success.
That was a joke.

Print