Print

Author Topic: Mariology (serious posts wanted)  (Read 474373 times)

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1665 on: January 31, 2009, 10:08:08 PM »
What I never understood is why everyone insists on writing the game off as not happening due to the whole dream thing? Who's to say the dream Mario's having at the end of the game didn't actually happen?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1666 on: January 31, 2009, 10:23:12 PM »
The manual explicitly states that it happens.
That was a joke.

« Reply #1667 on: January 31, 2009, 11:21:09 PM »
Ok thanks. I didn't get the manual, so thanks for explaining.
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1668 on: February 01, 2009, 12:18:39 PM »
It's just your typical "it was a dream... or was it?" plot. Think Wizard of Oz, folks.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1669 on: February 01, 2009, 01:58:46 PM »
Incidentally, the real Wizard of Oz story never acts like it was a dream.
That was a joke.

« Reply #1670 on: February 01, 2009, 02:56:17 PM »
The manual explicitly states that it happens.

The game explicitly states that it happens. They went to a picnic the next day and the land that Mario saw in his dream spread out before their eyes. Like the opening states.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1671 on: February 01, 2009, 03:19:03 PM »
Hey, you're right. I forgot about that.
That was a joke.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1672 on: February 01, 2009, 09:05:54 PM »
Yet everyone I come across acts like the ending clip of Mario sleeping with the thought bubble above his head renders that completely nonexistent.

« Reply #1673 on: February 02, 2009, 08:42:55 PM »
...Most likely because only the most freakishly dilligent (no offense) Mario gamers actually keep/track down those NES game manuals. As for those of us who simply never bothered to read the game's opening blurb... there's no excuse. Shame on us.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #1674 on: February 02, 2009, 08:52:56 PM »
I always thought it was because they wanted to show off that they had beaten the game.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1675 on: February 02, 2009, 10:26:01 PM »
Freakishly diligent?
Anyway, like the man said, the prologue is even in the game.
That was a joke.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #1676 on: February 02, 2009, 10:40:18 PM »
Yeah, but everyone sees the intro. Some people, on the other hand (many of them people who actually wouldn't have watched the intro in the first place) just want to show that they have knowledge that should only come from having beaten the game, whether or not they even understand it. I would wager that most people who say "Rosebud is his   dog" or "Snape kisses Dumbledore" have no understanding of, nor desire to understand, the real significance of those plot points in the story; they're just showing us that they know the ending.

Maybe.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #1677 on: February 02, 2009, 11:40:06 PM »
Yet everyone I come across acts like the ending clip of Mario sleeping with the thought bubble above his head renders that completely nonexistent.

Milky way wishes in kirby superstar ultra ends in the same, yet is regarded as "actually happening".
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1678 on: February 03, 2009, 12:05:30 AM »
The ending of Milky Way Wishes shows Kirby's well-deserved respite after restoring the harmony of the Sun and the Moon and defeating Marx and is not implying that the entire thing was a dream. Or something.

« Reply #1679 on: February 03, 2009, 05:33:41 PM »
My point exactly.

Print