Print

Author Topic: Mariology (serious posts wanted)  (Read 479362 times)

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #1710 on: March 11, 2009, 04:07:19 PM »
I think the novelization says that the fungus king's name is King Bowser. However, Dennis Hopper's character, the one who's supposed to be the one we commonly call Bowser, is never implied to be related to Daisy in any way other than both of them having evolved from dinosaurs.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1711 on: March 11, 2009, 05:19:56 PM »
It's pretty clear that the princess in the movie is supposed to be Peach. They just picked the name Daisy because they didn't even know she had a first name at the time (Princess Toadstool, remember?)

I really wish the movie didn't come up in this topic as often as it did.

« Reply #1712 on: March 12, 2009, 03:23:02 PM »
It's hard to prove that the kidnappee in question is Peach -- "Daisy" in the movie does indeed bear a greater resemblance to Peach's annoying brunette counterpart than the blonde one herself. It's also un-helpful how the film's story unfolds in a locale which seems unrelated to both Peach's Mushroom Kingdom and Daisy's Sarasaland. I would assume that Mario's girlfriend Danielle is a Peach-cameo of sorts, while Daisy is the director's [miserably failed] interpretation of Super Mario Land's Daisy.

Yeah.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1713 on: March 12, 2009, 03:39:21 PM »
Nah. The movie's setting is clearly based exclusively off of Super Mario World's Dinosaur Land theme. I doubt the directors knew knew that much about the series.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #1714 on: March 12, 2009, 03:57:12 PM »
But since the movie's Daisy is nothing like Peach, is never called Peach or Toadstool, and has some similarities to Daisy, why not pretend she's Daisy?
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1715 on: March 12, 2009, 06:40:26 PM »
Why pretend anything is anything about the movie? Why does everyone keep bringing it up in this topic if it has no bearing at all whatsoever on the games?

CrossEyed7

« Reply #1716 on: March 12, 2009, 07:11:11 PM »
Why not pretend? I can't speak for anyone else, but I do it because it's fun to think about. Mariology isn't serious business. It's Mario. Mario is fun. And thought exercises are good for you.

EDIT: That's the rhetorical "you," more formally "one"; I'm not saying that you specifically don't think enough or something. No insults expressed or implied.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 09:18:54 PM by CrossEyed7 »

« Reply #1717 on: March 13, 2009, 03:24:56 PM »
Mariology isn't serious business.

As we all know, everything on the internets is serious business. But agreed -- quibbling over trivialities works wonders for the mind. Anyways, Daisy's appearance may be a thinly-veiled promotion of Super Mario Land, released four years prior...

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1718 on: March 13, 2009, 03:38:14 PM »
I still say they just picked the name because they thought it was "Princess Toadstool"'s first name. They clearly weren't that knowledgeable about/took extreme liberties with their source material.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #1719 on: March 13, 2009, 05:24:09 PM »
The guy playing that one stormtrooper in Star Wars hit his head in the movie because the camera guy didn't notice and didn't call for a retake, but as of 2002, it's not a mistake, it's canonically an in-character thing for a clone of Jango Fett to do. Original intent doesn't matter that much.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1720 on: March 13, 2009, 05:48:34 PM »
Star Wars movies are their own primary source, though. The SMB movie is very far removed from any original source.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1721 on: March 13, 2009, 09:05:38 PM »
I always assumed they called her Daisy because they were going for an uber-realistic thing with that movie and it's at least somewhat plausible that someone would be named Daisy, as opposed to Peach or Toadstool. Of course, realism makes little sense in the face of, well, the latter three-quarters of the film.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1722 on: March 15, 2009, 02:00:53 PM »
That's why I'm stickin' to my theory. It works out best in the end.

« Reply #1723 on: March 15, 2009, 05:13:41 PM »
What are the chances that, out of sheer coincidence, the name they chose to be Toadstool's first name in the movie just happened to be the name of the other Mario-series princess? Sorry, but it just seems unlikely to me.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1724 on: March 15, 2009, 06:50:40 PM »
I didn't say it was coincidence. I said that picked it because they incorrectly assumed "Daisy" was Toadstool's first name after hearing of it, since it was in SML and all.

Print