Print

Author Topic: Current Events  (Read 2696 times)

« on: February 08, 2005, 05:25:22 PM »
Oooh, current events.  Sounds boring, right?  It should.  I mean, seriously, who wants to talk about current events on forums when a quick Google search will tell you everything going on even in the most remote areas of the world?  I do.  I'm weird like
that. I actually planned on creating this three times before, during the
Olympics in Athens, during the few weeks before the US presidential elections,
and after the Southeast Asia tsunami. Anyways, enough of my rambling, this is what I created this thread for:

Current events.  They tell us what's going on around us.  Not just in our own countries, though, but around the world.  In this thread, I will periodically post links to some semi-major news stories, you know, like one story per topic (if you want to know more about the topic, do a Google search.  Everyone loves Google).  It's more of a curiosity thing to hear (or read) what some of you think about some international events.  Obviously, not everyone's going to agree on something, so I thought it might be interesting to know what some of you people are thinking about.  I'll try to keep this varied (as in, not everything is about the USA) and try to post about fairly MAJOR events.  Not something like, "50% More U.S. Cows are Becoming Fatter!"  But rather, something like this:

After four years of violence, Israel and Palestine have agreed to a cease-fire.  Since the death of Yasir Arafat and the election of PLO leader Mahmud Abbas, it seems as if the tension is
finally starting to ease up.  That's good, right?  I think so.  Why not?

Anyways, read, search, think, and post.  I'll post new topics when A) the old one gets few replies and B) when something
slightly more pressing comes up.  Then again, feel free to post something that you find, but
please keep a gap between topics to ensure that people get a chance to post.

Well, like I said, post thoughts and whatnot.  It should be interesting to read (or hear, whatever), and we (or at least I) will see how long this thing lasts before it falls victim to the mods with their mighty, thread-closing powers.

"There are no such things as stupid questions, just stupid people."

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 05:54:05 PM »
If a mod closes this thread, then it means that the thread has already fallen victim to pointless bickering or flaming. I don't think anyone here who has been given the responsibility of monitoring the board's activity is the type of person who would clamp down on a topic just for the fun of it or because it slows down. So worry not. :)

“Hey, lemme borrow your bike. C’mon, I’ll give you some chips.”
The weaker you are, the stronger you can become.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 08:19:25 PM »
What are YOU doing here, Watoad?  C'mon, I'll take you on!
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 09:44:06 PM »
O_o uh...... wass wrong wif it....... TMK is the most up to date source, so It has to have "latest news" or it will defeat the purpose! (Without inviting ME! I love defeating purposes, no matter what it is I can do to do so! That is what I do...... make things pointless...... I wouldn't do that here, though....... You are my friends, uh, sorta kinda........ more like aquaintences....... Y'know, I think you all are warming up to me a bit....... So I might think, uh, lightweight friends? You get to upgrade the more cooler you are with me! Neat-o huh? I like Hamburger Helper! I had it for supper tonight.......)

Blam this peice of garbage! .....Oops. Wrong site....
TMK fan since three years ago!

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 09:50:49 PM »
:P

Wow, a tangent right from the start.  How exciting.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2005, 09:51:16 PM »
Sheesh. And I thought I trailed off too much! M.M., you don't need do (post) something of that sort again.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2005, 10:09:31 PM »
Dude, you've got 71 periods in that post, but only 18 sentences and sentence pieces. That's anything but lightweight! Looking at your post is like drowning in a barrel of peas. If you can manage, try laying off the punctuation a little and giving us a few more coherently arranged words to read. Thanks.

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2005, 11:50:29 PM »
Did you know that Master Mario XP's sig had more full stops than suffix's whole post?!?

''If Timmy has seven apples and Peter has five apples, why don''t they just shut up and eat?''
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2005, 12:41:08 AM »
(My apologies, Nameneko, for contributing now three posts to the unintended result of taking this thread way off topic.)

You called them "full stops." How cool is that? I'm impressed.

*tosses Luigi Simpson a 1-Up Mushroom*

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2005, 03:14:38 PM »
I think it's a good thing, but I don't care much about stuff going on in the Middle-East.

Now, if this thread were called "Current Events in Japan", I'd be much more interested in posting here.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2005, 03:34:32 PM »
I've thought about creating an entire forum for these types of posts, but honestly the board performs too slowly for me to want to post all the news I find interesting (which if you ask the other staff is a lot).  I'll try to work something out in the future.

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2005, 03:46:09 PM »
Uh, I'm sorry........ Too much info, huh?

Blam this peice of garbage! .....Oops. Wrong site....
TMK fan since three years ago!

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2005, 04:02:58 PM »
Well, just to lighten things up a bit, read the first letter in this
"Dear Annie" column. And I thought smoking was a problem nowadays. 
So, are they fattening or not?  My sig seems to fit well here.

Edited by - Nameneko on 2/9/2005 2:04:07 PM

Print