Print

Author Topic: Religion  (Read 70675 times)

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #225 on: July 08, 2003, 11:49:04 AM »
 Heh, it's been a long time since I wrote that. No one had ever said much of it, after I started on this topic.

"That theory, however, is flawed. Whether or not Cain’s mark was that he was black, we’ll never know."

That's true. It's impossible to know what the Mark Of Cain was. I've heard many different explanations of it; a sign on this forehead, black skin, or even his size. However, as humans, we tend to use things as excuses to get what we want. If we can interpret something to work in a way which benefits us, then more often than not, we do.

"However, had you read your Bible, you would know that none of Cain’s descendants exist anymore. All of the people currently on this planet are descendants of Noah and his sons. "

I have read the Bible. XD

And yes, I know the stories of Noah as well. However, that plays little significance in the point I was trying to make.

Cain was forced to become a vagabond of sorts, roaming around. Basically an outcast from the rest of the world. Now, if one was to believe that his mark was that of Colored Skin, then that is easily twisted into the mentality slave holders could have used.

It matters not if Cain's descendants were around or not, as he was still treated that way in the past. And if God had allowed people to treat him that way, then why should they not do it?  I don't think it had anything to do with Cain himself, per say, but the fact that he may have had colored skin. I believe that was the point I was trying to make.

Also, I in no way agree with that mentality, as that post, from which you derived that quote, makes it seem. I guess I wasn’t all that careful with words, back then. >>;

« Reply #226 on: July 09, 2003, 09:40:39 PM »
I'm a christian and if you say god sucks you WILL PAY!

I see mushroom people!
 I always have the latest info.Did you know that I farted?PPPPPPHHHHMmmmmmmmmhhh!!

« Reply #227 on: July 09, 2003, 10:03:16 PM »
I didn't know He had a mouth.

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven!”

« Reply #228 on: April 18, 2004, 01:08:59 PM »
"Like I said, actually *prove* ONE thing in the Bible wrong, and I'll believe you."

Prove that there isn't a giant invisible alligator named Henrico floating in space and I'll believe he's not there.

"So far, evolution has neither been *proven* right or wrong. It's just a theory."

I think you're misinterpreting what a theory is in science. You're using it more like what the word hypothesis actually means. Theories have been tested over and over again, and never found wrong. If a scientist could find evidence against such a well-established theory like evolution or gravity or relativity, he would be the most famous scientist of the century. And everyone wants to be the most famous scientist of the century. So that's what science is all about: trying to prove itself wrong. And when it can't, it slowly accepts that fact as a more and more rigorous truth. What a brilliant way to do things!

You might also be interested to know that when the Theory of Extinction was proposed around 1800 that Christians everywhere rallied against it. "How could God let his creatures go extinct? That wouldn't happen!" was the argument of the day. That theory went the way that evolution is going and sadly, species do go extinct.

Thus ends my bump.

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven.”

Edited by - Lizard Dude on 4/18/2004 12:09:56 PM

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #229 on: April 18, 2004, 01:37:01 PM »
A LOT of Christianity is backed-up by scientific and historical data.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #230 on: April 18, 2004, 01:38:59 PM »
Well spoken LD, err.. typed.

Did anyone see the Noah documentary on Discovery or The Science Channel?

Edited by - Luigison on 4/18/2004 12:46:57 PM
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #231 on: April 18, 2004, 02:05:59 PM »
Well. I could prove God exists with 5 arguments from St. Thomas Acquinas's Suma Theologia. However, this is very time comsuming. I believe in God, And I don't stant for arguing about it. Oh, and the Bible does not include all factual incidents. For instance-- a Catholic isn't required to believe in the creation story.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #232 on: April 18, 2004, 02:05:59 PM »
Well. I could prove God exists with 5 arguments from St. Thomas Acquinas's Suma Theologia. However, this is very time comsuming. I believe in God, And I don't stant for arguing about it. Oh, and the Bible does not include all factual incidents. For instance-- a Catholic isn't required to believe in the creation story.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #233 on: April 18, 2004, 02:39:41 PM »
I was in a play, and I still have the script.  About the creation of the world:

Anna: Your Majesty is reading the Bible!

King: Ah!  Mrs. Anna.  I think your Moses shall have been a fool.

Anna: Moses?

King: Moses!  Moses!  Moses!  Here it stands written by him that the world was created in six days!  You know and I know it took many ages to create world.  I think he shall have been a fool for have written so.  What is your opinion?

Anna: Your Majesty, the Bible was not written by men of science, but by men of faith.  It was their explanation of the miracle of creation, which is the same miracle whether it took six days, or many centuries.

Um, yeah, so that's how I feel about the whole 'impossible to create world in six days' thing.  The point is that it's possible for there to be no God, but it's possible for there to be God, too.  I think God is real.  I don't know how to end this post...  Look out behind you!

Edited by - Markio on 4/18/2004 1:40:44 PM

"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #234 on: April 18, 2004, 02:41:18 PM »
A Catholic isn't required to believe in creation?  I can't believe what I'm hearing (or reading)!  Sure, maybe we don't have to believe it word-for-word, but we have to believe it actually happened.  Yes, I just said "we" right there, because I'm a Catholic.

Man, I'm feeling hyper today.

C:     #define SIG "This is a sig."

C++:   const std::string SIG = "This is a sig.";

Java:  static final java.lang.String SIG = "This is a sig.";

Basic: This is a sig.

:)

Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggy" until you can find a rock.

« Reply #235 on: April 18, 2004, 05:19:17 PM »
What he meant was that the pope in 1920 said that Catholics could believe in evolution if they wanted to. I learned this at a lecture I went to Friday by a guy who researches flaws in textbooks and evolution.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #236 on: April 18, 2004, 05:49:50 PM »
Yup, Thats what I meant. Thanks LD. I can still accurately call myself Catholic, even being an evolutionist.

Push button...
Receive Bacon!
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #237 on: April 18, 2004, 08:48:41 PM »
Why believe what the pope says you may believe when you could just as easily believe what you think is right? If you want to believe something, why would you wait for another person's approval before actually believing it? Or does the Catholic church teach that what's important is not what you believe but whether someone else has declared your beliefs "okay"?

Before you answer, please make sure you understand that I am not addressing the issue of evolution. My questions are almost sort of rhetorical, anyway. . . . Sort of.

"Greetings from Belgium, the only country in Europe where the leading source of natural gas is the local dairy farm."

The weaker you are, the stronger you can become.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #238 on: April 18, 2004, 09:08:34 PM »
Whenever I ask a rhetorical question, people answer them.

A day without sunshine is like night.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #239 on: April 19, 2004, 12:21:34 AM »
Why do you suppose that is?

Print