Print

Author Topic: Religion  (Read 70326 times)

David

• Trusts the fungus
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2001, 01:34:47 PM »
I bleeped out a swear word. ;)

Referring to early statements... I merely return to the point that we don't have any evidence that directly supports a bridge between species. While it is theorized that some dinosaur species evolved into the modern day birds, that is contingent on finding links between the two. The problem is that while we can pose suppositions about possible connections between various animals, it would really require an extensive series of minor mutations to result in the kind of evolution claimed. As far as evolution goes, I'm agnostic -- it's an interesting theory, and there is some evidence for it, but there is no real proof as of yet.

Regarding Noah and the bible, I was referring not to how the author(s) of the text considered it, but how later people interpreted it. The mark of Cain was often used as an excuse to enslave people with dark skin...

Let's do the Mario, all together now!

« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2001, 10:10:45 PM »
To answer the original question in this topic, I'm a Christian, and just to make my topic shorter, I believe the stuff Hinopio said he believes on page 3. I'm tired of reading now. This topic is too long for me...

Edited by - Winx on 7/24/2001 9:12:17 PM

« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2001, 06:15:08 PM »
So,
what is the difference between republicans and democrats?
Oh and I don't like Bush. I think he's from the right wing, isn't he? Well is that a republican or a democrat?
With enough soap, you can blow nearly everything up.

« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2001, 09:49:31 PM »
Yeah, Bush is a right winger.

You want to know the difference between Republicans and Democrats?  Well, this is my version, of course my Independent/Green/Monarchist party spin might throw a few wrenches here and there... (seriously, I like to poke fun at both parties.  I don't completely agree with either.)

First of all, all political parties are simply philosophies about how government should be run.  Since government is all about the betterment of society (democracy anyway), parties are really philosophies of the development of society.  That said-

Democrats think that the best way to improve society as a whole is to implement government programs like welfare, social security, etc.  (oh, by the way, we'll have to tax you some more. sorry!)

Republicans think that the best way to improve society as a whole is to let people do their own thing and only let the government take care of things like the police, military, public works, etc.  (you can't afford to eat?  bummer!)

This is the way I like to put it.  If Democracy wasn't an option, Democrats would be more likely to support Communism, and Republicans would probably support Anarchy.
That's an interesting thought...
I want to be where the Yaks can run free;
Where the marmosets can attack me!

« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2002, 02:43:52 AM »
hmmm...old topic...It just so happens I saw this the same day I find out Im sposed to go to some fishing retreat thing....anyway, all together now!!

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord;
He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored;
He hath loosed the fateful lightning of His terrible swift sword;
His truth is marching on.
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! His truth is marching on.
I have seen Him in the watch fires of a hundred circling camps
They have builded Him an altar in the evening dews and damps;
I can read His righteous sentence by the dim and flaring lamps;
His day is marching on.
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! His day is marching on.
I have read a fiery Gospel writ in burnished rows of steel;
“As ye deal with My contemners, so with you My grace shall deal”;
Let the Hero, born of woman, crush the serpent with His heel,
Since God is marching on.
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Since God is marching on.
He has sounded forth the trumpet that shall never call retreat;
He is sifting out the hearts of men before His judgment seat;
Oh, be swift, my soul, to answer Him! be jubilant, my feet;
Our God is marching on.
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Our God is marching on.
In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,
With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me:
As He died to make men holy, let us live to make men free;
[originally As he died to make men holy, let us die to make men free]
While God is marching on.
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! While God is marching on.
He is coming like the glory of the morning on the wave,
He is wisdom to the mighty, He is honor to the brave;
So the world shall be His footstool, and the soul of wrong His slave,
Our God is marching on.
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Our God is marching on.

who can name that song???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sors salutis
et virtutis
michi nunc contraria,
est affectus
et defectus
semper in angaria.
Hac in hora
sine mora
corde pulsum tangite;
quod per sortem
sternit fortem,
mecum omnes plangite!

I can get you the MARIO AND ZELDA CARTOONS!!!go to my "get the mario and zelda cartoons FREE!!!!" topic and request what episodes you want!!!

you really dont know, do you??

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2002, 04:58:52 PM »
So... this forum did have intelligent conversations before hand. Only, it's too bad that it was almost a year ago. Well, I guess we should attempt to pick up where it left off, exluding that bit about Democrates and Republicans, which has absolutely nothing to do with the topic...
Oh, I should mention that your song is called "Battle Hymn of the Republic" but please, do not continue with naming songs.

I am a Roman Catholic and have been raised so my entire life. I have wavered in my faith as much as the next man, hell, I've even considered the possiblitly of no God, but each and every time I find myself to come back to Christianity with stronger faith. I had only wanted to give you people some of my background before I started in on this.

Now I do not believe in evolution. I believe it may have been possible, but I will not believe it until there is solid proof. As DavidDayton had stated before, there is no evidence that Humans and Monkeys, Dinosaurs and modern day birds, or fish to reptiles and amphibians. It seemed that the people he was discussing this with were not understanding what he was saying. David said that although there was fossil evidence OF them, there was no evidence of a link between them. Nothing too complicated to understand.

Now about the Mark of Cain, it was been said that it was used as an excuse for the slavery of dark colored skinned people. I do believe that to be true, however people had argued that if God believes that all people are equal, than the Bible must not be God's word for it is condoneing slavery. I believe that the Bible is the word of God, only done so through man kind, and as we all know, humanity is not perfect. "Truely, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind." I feel that quote generally sums up how I feel, only on a higher level.

I hope we are able to revive an intelligent debate, not one filled with spam or immature behavior.

I am Nobody
 Nobody is Perfect
 I am Perfect

Edited by - Black Mage on 5/11/2002 4:01:26 PM

« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2002, 10:57:17 PM »
I was gonna put something smart, but.... hey!! you got something against my song??!!

Sors salutis
et virtutis
michi nunc contraria,
est affectus
et defectus
semper in angaria.
Hac in hora
sine mora
corde pulsum tangite;
quod per sortem
sternit fortem,
mecum omnes plangite!

I can get you the MARIO AND ZELDA CARTOONS!!!go to my "get the mario and zelda cartoons FREE!!!!" topic and request what episodes you want!!!

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2002, 05:11:25 AM »
Who is stopping you from putting something "smart"? If anything, I encouraged it. And no, I don't have anything against your song, I just knew that somehow, if I didn't say something, this topic would go off track.

I am Nobody
 Nobody is Perfect
 I am Perfect

« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2002, 02:03:33 PM »
my dad was baptist
my mom's side and her children <my siblings and i> were raised to be roman catholic

i'm not sure i can believe what they say, though

do not get me wrong
i believe in God <yes i will capitalize some things> i believe in Jesus
but i do NOT believe in religion

i do believe in evolution, there has to be a scientific explanation for how we came about
it couldn't just be that a Supreme Being created us as we are because even now we're evolving

i don't see how you can't <and i don't want any flames from you black mage> believe in evolution...
how do you think we got here?

back to where i don't believe in religion...
i suppose you've heard about the scandals in the catholic church concerning the priests and little boys?  well, if they were truly on a higher peg than the average person, how could they be able to do something like this?
also, why are no women allowed to be priests in the catholic church?   in shakespeare's day, women weren't allowed to act, but they certainly do now
if God created us all equal, wouldn't women be just as good to be a messenger of God?

finally, for today, why does the church teach us that God is a man?  if God truly created adam and eve <another thing i don't believe> and he created adam first, in his image, then God would be a man
but i believe that the Great One is so far beyond our conceptions of man and woman

this is a very interesting discussion

_0-/<______________
who wants to buy a skunkle?
_0-/<):________________
Y8FooD...well, you did

Edited by - cable04 on 5/13/2002 1:04:48 PM

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2002, 06:13:01 PM »
 I can't believe you honestly thought I'd flame you for you beliefs. I didn't know I came off that way. But, enough about that.

Interesting theories on evolution, but who is to say that God couldn't have created us in the respective time period we were created. I do not mean to say that there is no evolution at all, only I do not believe the theory as to how us as humans came to be. I do not believe that we evolved from monkeys and apes. I wouldn't rule out that God created Cave men, and we may have evolved from a form of humanity such as that, but I still see it as farfetched. However, the same could be said about Creationists, so I can't argue my point very well.

It's hard not to hear about the pedophile priests, and I agree, it is very vile and disgusting. However, you must remember, Priests are humans. Humans make mistakes. They are the same as any of us, whether or not they decided to preach God's word. You can't blame God or the faith as a whole for a few people's actions. That would be similar to saying all Germans are Nazis, do you see what I mean? As for women preaching, I agree, they would be just as good at the job, however, back in the days of old, when Catholicism was formed, women were not equal, due to the society of the time. I would assume that it was passed down by traditions, but as to why it's not changed now, I do not know. Nothing is perfect, I guess.

Adam and Eve, is a story to which I believe to be just that, a story. Something to explain how we got there, but not necessarily the solid truth. However, I assume Jesus took the form of a man, and God is taught to be a man, because if Jesus was born a female, no one would have listened to him during his time. Women were looked down upon, and how would it sound if your God was a woman? I think that God may have used the image as a man to be able to inform the people better.
   Interesting, indeed.

I am Nobody
 Nobody is Perfect
 I am Perfect

« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2002, 08:15:39 PM »
sorry, Im too underdeveloped to participate in these discussions.....maybe soon though...

Sors salutis
et virtutis
michi nunc contraria,
est affectus
et defectus
semper in angaria.
Hac in hora
sine mora
corde pulsum tangite;
quod per sortem
sternit fortem,
mecum omnes plangite!

« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2002, 08:18:57 PM »
Thats true but even though people listend to Jesus most didn't belive him. Oh the Adam and Eve story I think that they were created as a single celled organsium and the evelution was speded up so they were humans.

Mario and Yoshi rule!
http://www.geocities.com/chauncey7175/Yoshies_Super_Island.html is a great Place for Yoshi! Ps.Visit the message board! note:Im also Ludwig Von Koopa as well as SuperYoshi7175. Ps.again Ok Join the Mario Clan the only clan totally devoted to Mario!
Should I put something here?

« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2002, 01:38:54 PM »
no, i didn't think you'd actually flame me, but i just wanted it to be stated that i'm not trying to make you mad, even though our views are supprisingly different

another thing i don't believe in
church
i only go because my mom doesn't know how i truly feel because I'M not quite sure how i truly feel
i don't like church
i don't like what we say, how we say it, or listening to the priest <or preacher or whomever you listen to>
i don't like having rules on how i can believe in God
take for instance how christians think that a jewish person will go to hell because they don't believe that Jesus was the son of God

final thought of religion for today
i don't believe in religion because
how can there BE so many types of religion if that's what we're supposed to have?
if religion was true, wouldn't we all believe the same things and have the same religion?

_0-/<______________
who wants to buy a skunkle?
_0-/<):________________
Y8FooD...well, you did

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2002, 03:45:02 PM »
 Okay, I wouldn't get upset if you disagreed with me, to be honest, I hoped someone would, so we could actually have a debate/discussion.

I think it's okay if you don't believe in church, I know many people who don't. As for how things are done in mass, I know it's mostly tradition, but personally I fing it interesting. I know when I was younger, I hated it. It was boring to sit there for an hour, but now, I listen to the readings and get to hear how my priest interpurts them. It's quite interesting to see how they may differ from my own. I wouldn't say Church has set rules, you can do it in anyway you want. I see church more as a guide to help you worship God. You don't have to believe that Jews go to hell, but you are correct, that is what is taught by the church. Homo***uals also share the same fate, as do people who do not believe in God. Personally, I don't think Jews will end up going to another place, I'm not too sure how to explain it. I'm sorry if I didn't get what you meant by rules, I wasn't too clear on it.

As for there being many religions, I don't think that means any one is wrong per say. Take Mormons for example, they were founded by John Smith, but our church, the Roman Catholic, does not deem them a religion. To the Roman Catholics, they are a cult. Again, I think the variety is due to humanity's error. We often change things because we do not like them, take the King James Version of the Bible for instance. King James didn't like much of what was in there, so he changed it as he saw fit, and now, many religions use it. I don't think it takes away from God having more religions, nor do I think it makes any of them wrong, but It's how you see it.

I am Nobody
 Nobody is Perfect
 I am Perfect

« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2002, 09:53:13 PM »
well, we're not sposed to have so many religions. I consider all of them to be controlled by demons, except Christianity (sorry if I offended anybody, these are just my beliefs.) Have you ever, when thinking about Christianity, gotten the thought that maybe Christianity isn't the right religion, and you better become a muslim or jew or hindu?? I get these all the time, But they are just demons trying to screw you over (again, sorry if I offended anybody).
And then it just leads to a train of thought that doesnt end until you begin to consider the other religions. AS SOON as I have a chance to get out, I pick up the nearest bible related book And just read for hours.

And about church, I do truly need it. Ive been seperated from my church for over a month now because of circumstances beyond my control, And I can feel myself slipping away from everything I had. As soon as I start thinking about this, I get those 'change your religion thoughts', or something trying to make feel even lower. Just remembering all this stuff and posting it restarted that tgrain of thought...and, well, I think Im gonna go read or watch a video or something.

btw, BlackMage, how old are you?? I also noticed your an EoFF (for those who dont know, Eyes on Final Fantasy) fan. My point about that, I just forgot, do have a nice day.

oh yeah, I am Baptist.
Sors salutis
et virtutis
michi nunc contraria,
est affectus
et defectus
semper in angaria.
Hac in hora
sine mora
corde pulsum tangite;
quod per sortem
sternit fortem,
mecum omnes plangite!

Edited by - smb allstars master on 5/14/2002 8:55:48 PM

Print