Poll

Are you for or against gay marriage?

For
27 (67.5%)
Against
13 (32.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Print

Author Topic: For or Against?  (Read 57369 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2006, 07:35:30 PM »
For God's sake............I thought this was a topic about gay marriages, not insulting the Bible. If AB thinks the Bible is his user manual, it isn't right for someone else to tell him otherwise.
Okay.  I fixed my previous post.  I'm going to tell my principal tomorrow that I can no longer teach because it isn't right for me to correct students' misconceptions.  BTW, I believe in the Bible, but I don't believe everything in the Bible.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2006, 07:45:25 PM »
It's hard being a Religious man in an atheist world. Somehow I think I'll get banned for this.

So what do you guys believe in? That we all become nothing after we die? Do you ever think about how we got here?

I'm sorry, but one day, I'm going to be a Pastor. Not a word you said has changed my mind about the way I think. If you guys want to live a Godless life, that's fine with me. It's obvious you people just felt like jumping on AB for stating that the Bible was his personal book for living life. I'm telling you to stop. There, I said it. Go ahead, ban me for being a religious freak. I know that the meek will inherit the Earth because I used to be meek! I was nothing, picked on every day of my life, until I found that God brings hope. I'm a different person now. I inherited the Earth and all it's wonders. I learned that the world is not all evil!

So go ahead. Criticize me for going off topic, or sticking up to you guys. I just know what I said was right in my heart. I feel much better now.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2006, 07:49:26 PM »
And from out of the religious discussion the wannabe martyrs begin to march.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 07:52:31 PM by TEM »

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2006, 07:54:02 PM »
Even if I'm standing alone, you will not change me. No matter how may insults, it won't work.

TEM

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2006, 07:57:26 PM »
Don't be so dramatic and dumb. You are pretending and trying to convince others that you are facing some great adversity that doesn't exist to make your argument more noble and/or correct. Please stop doing that, it's annoying and childish.

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2006, 08:00:16 PM »
And here come the insults. Look, I don't see why you guys had to jump on AB for saying the Bible was his book for living. It's obvious that you guys think I'm "childish and dumb", but I'm just stating my opinion.There are some here that might agree with me.

Now I know how fuzzy felt before he left. He had an opinion, and people wanted to tell him he was wrong.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 08:03:21 PM by PaperLuigi »

TEM

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2006, 08:05:12 PM »
I'm not even arguing your point, I am criticizing your foolish attempts to make yourself seem heroic.

"Somehow I think I'll get banned for this."
"Not a word you said has changed my mind about the way I think."
"Go ahead, ban me for being a religious freak."
"So go ahead. Criticize me for going off topic, or sticking up to you guys. I just know what I said was right in my heart."
"Even if I'm standing alone, you will not change me. No matter how may insults, it won't work."

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2006, 08:08:41 PM »
I said what I needed to say. If I sound heroic, that's your opinion. So what if I do? I'm not trying to win support, I'm just sticking up for what I believe in. I don't care if I'm called a fool. I just know I'm a fool who's living life the way I think it should be lived. So there. :)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2006, 08:11:19 PM »
For the record, I did not insult PaperLuigi or AB.  I posted some quotes from the Bible and made short simple observations on those passages.  If you want to read what I posted then click the quote or edit images on the "hidden" post.  If quoting the Bible insults your believe in the Bible... Nevermind.  I don't want to appear to insult you.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2006, 08:26:06 PM »
 I have not read this thread through, nor do I intend on giving my views on gay marriage, but I did want to voice my support of TEM's recent statements.

Not because you disagree with some people, not because you're religious, not because you're expressing your opinions, but because you're victimizing yourself for no apparant reason, PaperLuigi. If anything, your comments are insulting the administration here at the Fungi Forums for assuming you'd be banned because of something you believe.

No one is going to openly insult you for posting your opinions and beliefs here, if you do so in a respectful manner. If they do, it will be dealt with.

This is a discussion, and not everyone is going to agree. That's fine, and in my opinion what forums are all about. If you think someone responding to you with a different opinion is an offense to your beliefs, you need to take a step back and calm down.

« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2006, 08:44:27 PM »
My victimizing was wrong, I just thought that the others were trying to turn A. Baseball againts his belief in it being his "user manual." They laid out all the reasons why he shouldn't believe, and I gave reasons why he should. That's when the whole fight broke out, and it's my fault for victimizing myself.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2006, 09:13:52 PM »
If you believe in the Bible, Jesus also said to "pray in your inner room." "Your faith alone has saved you." You don't need to TRY to be a hero, just let yourself be one.

What I am saying is, don't make it so apparent. "Trun the other cheek." I never let religious things bother me. And I am rather religious, if I do say so myself.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2006, 09:16:44 PM »
Well, ya. Religious discussion tends to do that to people.

Looking back at my first reply to AB's comment, I think I was a bit condescending to his stance, the way I worded a reply. I changed it a bit.

Then again, I personally despise the "Adam and Steve" reference to the gay marriage issue. I've seriously had a fundamentalist try to convince a somewhat large group of people that I was gay and actually going out with someone named Adam because we both had somewhat similar views of religion in general. Basically, his logic was "You don't agree with me on the subject of gays, therefore you're OBVIOUSLY gay because I said you are. God bless your soul." AB's comment was nothing of that sort, but that reference still struck a nerve with me.
~I.S.~

« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2006, 09:33:17 PM »
Well, ya. Religious discussion tends to do that to people.
This is pretty much why religious/political discussion is considered a no-no and/or a bannable offense in other forums I frequent.

I personally despise the "Adam and Steve" reference to the gay marriage issue.

My eye always twitches whenever I hear/read that counter-point. It's not clever, it's definitely not funny, and it just makes the person who said it look ignorant in general, in my opinion.

Though, it definitely does not make me go crazy as much as the "if you think gays should marry, then you DEFINITELY think it's okay for people to marry with non-human animals" counter-point. This is when I usually realize that you cannot reason with bigots who say that when I state my views.

Then again, I'm crazy enough to say "yes" to that nonsensical counter-point, but usually to see their reactions, which make me laugh.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2006, 09:37:03 PM »
Hey there, big boy. ;) ;)   :-*
~I.A.~

Print