Print

Author Topic: About Myamoto's "Mature" Mario  (Read 8923 times)

« on: June 03, 2000, 08:03:05 PM »
Before I start, some of you may regonize that I'm a Senator of Nintendo Force (http://www.nintendoforce.com) and maybe you have seen some of my posts over at Nintendo Land (http://www.nintendoland.com). Anyway, here we go.

You all know that Shigeru Myamoto released a statement that said Mario will be more "Mature" in the next Mario Dolphin game. Now, some people are arguing about this idea for a better Mario. Well, I believe it all depends on what you think of the word "Mature." For some, it could be swears and guns. For others, it could be more stratigic and less cutsey. Some people want to keep the old Mario feeling from the past, others want a new kind of feeling.

What do you think?

The untold agent is among you.
Did you meet my Siberian Monkey?

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2000, 12:30:12 AM »
Although the whole "mature Mario" idea sounds dodgy, I am very eager to see how this game turns out. Because, you see, I think Myamoto knows what he's doing.

He is not one to be easily swayed by what the "Industry" thinks is cool or mature. He was right there, a key creator of the Industry! He know what makes a good game, and he (should) know(s) what his fans want. He will not let these little Sony weeners tell him what's in.

I expect the Mario Bothers' basic image to stay the same. Hats, overalls, colors, you know. I expect much better graphics, slightly more on the realistic side than the cartoonish. I expect a more challenging game. One in which the bad guys can actually kill you and you have to be fast on your feet.

I do not expect anything that would raise the current "E" rating. No cursing, no blood or guts, no sexual references whatsoever.

Basicly, I expect the same old, just better.

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2000, 06:53:47 AM »
He once said he was gonna change Mario's V
sign(You know, when Mario wins in M64 he does
that V sign!).

He couldn't last for two darn
minutes before caving in! -Me.
BANG YOUR HEAD!

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2000, 08:03:58 AM »
Ya, that little victory sign will be changed by Myamoto. I'm not sure if it's too childish now or if it's too old.

I think that what Myamoto was trying to say is that the Mario brothers will be in more life and death games than cutsy games. I didn't hear him say anything about a makeover in hats, shoes, etc. I didn't hear him say that the Mario brothers will be carring guns on adventures. So, my opinions are about the same as TurtleTek's.

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2000, 08:24:02 AM »
I can't wait for Space World to see this new mature Mario. I hope it's like Jet Force Gemini of sorts, in terms of the charecters.

That Victory sign needs to change. Victory poses get old. Need I say... Final Fantasy 7 and 8?

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2000, 01:12:49 PM »
He'll probably just make the games not as cutesy and kiddish. There won't be any more "Yoshi's Story" style stuff, etc. He also said that he wanted to change Mario to make him look more like an adult. Perhpas make him taller (not a good idea), make his mustache more realstic (another no-no), etc. If he decides to get rid of thr whole mushroom/Peach/ VS Boweser type thing to make it more "mature," then he's changing the whole thing- a really bad idea.

Miyamoto needs to define his definition of "mature."

~Mikle: An honorary member of "The Mushroom Society."
~Mikle: An honorary member of "The Mushroom Society."

David

• Trusts the fungus
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2000, 02:13:51 PM »
Mature, hopefully, won't mean anything major. More detailed graphics (more realistic?) and maybe more difficult challenges would be nice. Remember when extra lives were important? Most games today can be continued forever with no loss -- why garner 1ups when you can just continue from the same point?

Actually, what I want brought back is POINTS and a way to save high scores.

Let's do the Mario, all together now!

http://codebook.stals.com
Let's do the Mario, all together now!

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2000, 09:03:05 PM »
well, they could be taking the same road Rare's taking with Conker's BFD, although I highly doubt it.  It would be rather funny, though.  and if you don't know what BFD is, shame on you.  Go here:
www.rareware.com/recent/games/bfd

*unpacks suitcase, holds up Playstation*
How did this get in here?  Somebody's playing a prank on me!  Honestly, it's not mine!

Edited by - AustinPowers on 6/4/00 8:05:50 PM
*unpacks suitcase, holds up Playstation*
How did this get in here?  Somebody's playing a prank on me!  Honestly, it's not mine!

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2000, 08:03:52 AM »
They could very easly change Mario's look and he would still be cool. I'm a cartoonist/artist and I was drawing an older Mario. He has a beard and mustache like santa claus, taterd cloths, and a huge hammer. It looks really cool so don't think they wont change Mario. They just might. By the way this confusion with the so called "V for victory pose" is bugging me. In Japan doing the "peace sign" or what you guys are calling the "V for Victory" is like me and you giving the thumbs up. It means "cool" or "all right!". So he is really just giving a thumbs up. Did you notice he didn't do his pose in any of the new Mario games? (SSB, MP2, ect.)

Doomba, King of the Goombas
Doomba, King of the Goombas

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2000, 02:09:52 PM »
Well Doomba, Wario does a thumbs-up and Mario does a "V sign" or "peace sign" or whatever you like to call it. Luigi does a thumbs-up in Mario Golf. It might mean the same thing: "Good Job!"

A change in looks may have a major impact over the kids. There used to seeing the plumber-like suit; I know I was. Even though Myamoto siad he was making Mario Mature, Mario has been mainly the little kids attraction for years now and I don't think this will be going away anytime soon.

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2000, 11:08:47 AM »
It seems to me that Mario used to be more "mature."  In "Mario Bros." and "Super Mario Bros." he had adult proportions, then in "Super Mario World" he looked like a cartoon character.  I'm not sure about "Super Mario Bros. 2" and "3" because I haven't played the original version without the "Super Mario All-Stars" changes in years.  The V-sign seems too politically correct for me.
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2000, 02:22:29 PM »
I don't have a clue what it means, but I think Shigeru Miyamoto knows what he's doing. Also, if for some reason he does decide to change Mario, you've got to rember that Mario is his creation and'll evolve however he deems fit.

Kweeh! Kweeh!
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2000, 08:13:42 PM »
Actually, I think I remember reading about Miyamoto saying something like Mario will be returning to his roots, and it won't be any drastic change.  In other words, he'll be giving us exactly what we want.  I hear lots of people complaining that SM64 changed the gameplay too much or that Yoshi's Story was too easy (and it was!).  Miyamoto said that he'd like to return Mario to the kind of guy who entertains kids AND adults, not that he doesn't do that now.  He's just gonna do it BETTER from now on.

What'chu talkin' bout, Dextah?
What'chu talkin' bout, Dextah?

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2000, 08:19:44 PM »
I don't think the "mature" Mario means that the games will actually go the way of Conker 64.  That would be totally un-Mario!  I think the games will probably be harder, with big, tough, menacing looking bosses instead of the cutesy fish and turtles and whatnot of times past.  Mario will probably look more or less the same, he'll just ACT different (maybe he'll be more Wario-ish).  Then again, maybe Myamoto will jsut TOTALLY surprise us with this...

I'm the Flamin' Red Yoshi!
(no, that doesn't mean I flame people, it just means I'm a red Yoshi on fire!)
I'm the Flamin' Red Yoshi!
(no, that doesn't mean I flame people, it just means I'm a red Yoshi on fire!)

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2000, 10:02:22 AM »
I think the only thing thing they should change about Mario is make his polygons less noticable, and about the V sign that is his trademark. It is on almost every product of Mario's. They should just leave it alone.

We are rebeles.
We love vilance.
We will win.
We are The Goombas.
(Mario jumps on a warp pipe, but nothing happens)
Mario: If only I could remeber how to work this thing.

Print