Print

Author Topic: Mario Party 6 questions  (Read 5721 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: December 06, 2004, 08:17:45 PM »
As many of you know I am not a fan of the Mario Party games.  I played 1 and 5.  My problems with the games was the slow pace of the board game and having to wait for the dice roll.  I also didn't like having so many games of chance.  I wanted more skill based mini games like those in Wario Ware, but longer and more complex.

The day/night and mic gimmics look cool to me, but do they add much to the game?

The screen shots I have seen make the game look more varied that the others.  Is it?

Do you think Mario Party 6 would be any better to me than my previous Mario Party games?

How does it stack up against the other versions?

Do you recommend the game in general, or to me specificly?

According to GameRankings.com:

• Mario Party 6
    Number of P/Reviews: 27  79.7%
  • Mario Party 5
    Number of P/Reviews: 98  71.0%
  • Mario Party 4
    Number of P/Reviews: 88  73.4%

Mario Party 6

• Gamespy   12/6/2004  4 out of 5  80.0%
  • GameSpot  12/6/2004  6.9 out of 10  69.0%
  • GamePro   12/3/2004  4.5 out of 5  90.0%

Do you agree/disagree with those rankings?

---
    Even though it is overdone, that was clutch.

Edited by - Luigison on 12/8/2004 5:46:32 PM

• “Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Luigison

• Old Person™
    « Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 06:49:43 PM »
    Has anybody got this game yet?
    “Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 07:18:26 PM »
    I don't have this game yet, but I am planning to buy one of the mario party games for gamecube - meaning 4, 5, or 6.  Originally, I wanted to buy 6 because it has 80 games and supposedly a better one-player mode, but I read several reviews saying that it is nothing but "a fresh coat of paint on an old building".  So now I'm evenly divided between 4 and 6 (only because I have heard bad things about 5).  So I'm also basically wondering if 6 is worth the money and worth a purchase above 4, and also if anyone can say anything positive about 5 to change my mind.

MAAAAARIO WHERE AAAAARE YOU??

Luigison

• Old Person™
    « Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 07:52:53 PM »
    After looking at the game case I realize that it was 5 that I did not like.

Mario Party 6 now has %81.0.  Here's the new breakdown:

Gamespy    12/6/2004  4 out of 5  80.0%
      GameSpot    12/6/2004  6.9 out of 10  69.0%
      GamePro    12/3/2004  4.5 out of 5  90.0%
      Cinescape Online    12/7/2004  B+  85.0%
    “Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 10:26:05 PM »
    Mario Party 5 was WAY better then Mario Party 4. In my opinion, Mario Party 4 was... very, very mediocre.

I'm also really looking forward to getting Mario Party 6.

Luigison

• Old Person™
    « Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 07:19:02 PM »
    Its Average Ratio is now 77.7%.

Gamespy  12/6/2004  4 out of 5  80.0%
    GameSpot  12/6/2004  6.9 out of 10  69.0%
    IGN   12/8/2004  7 out of 10  70.0%
    GamePro  12/3/2004  4.5 out of 5  90.0%
    1UP  12/8/2004  7.5 out of 10  75.0%
    Cinescape Online   12/7/2004  B+  85.0%
    Planet Gamecube   12/8/2004  7.5 out of 10  75.0%

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2004, 12:59:54 PM »
    As for being better then past Mario Party games, I'm pretty sure it will. I don't think any Mario Party will top the first one, but MP6 looks promissing.

(from best to worst, in my opinion)
    1) Mario Party
    2) Mario Party 5
    3) Mario Party 2
    4) Mario Party 4

I never played MP3, and MP4 was just really bland.

Deezer

• Invincible
    « Reply #7 on: December 28, 2004, 06:02:06 PM »
    Solo Mode impressions:

Once again, the 1P mode has changed. This time, there are three boards to choose from, and it's over when you've reached a certain number of spaces (depending on the board, 15 - 31 spaces. Your dice roll is 1 - 6.). It's just your character moving, and the type of mini-game you play after your move depends on the type of space you land on (4v4, 1v3, 2v2, Duel, Battle, Bowser). The "K. Kids" are back, and they are your opponents during the mini-games (for the 2v2 game, you get a partner who is chosen before starting the board).

Place first during a mini-game, and you get possession of that mini-game (number of games won is shown by your character's face in the top-left) and 10 Coins (could earn more Coins if it's the ever-popular gold-titled bonus mini-game).

BUT, you don't keep all the Coins and Mini-games you earn unless you land EXACTLY on the last spot on the board (I think it has a small star on it). If you go past the last spot, you won't see the Bonus screen.

On the Bonus screen, you'll get more Coins based on what happened during the game. For example, rolling the same number twice in a row gives you a 20 Coin bonus. You can also see what mini-games you've unlocked. Then, all your Coins are totaled up and you get a Star for every 20 Coins. Stars can be redeemed in the Shop for unlockables such as an Endurance mode in Mini-game mode, one new character, credits, sound tests, etc.

You can increase your chances of landing exactly on the last spot with the "Sluggish 'Shroom Capsule" (dice block goes through 1-6 slowly so you can choose your number with good timing) and the poison Shroom capsule (limits your roll to 1 - 3).

I will try the mic a little later.

Deezer

• Invincible
    « Reply #8 on: December 28, 2004, 06:33:23 PM »
    Mini-game impressions:

I have only played about 20 of them. You have your basic button-mashing games and drive-a-car-with-crazy-controls games, of course. I played three games which actually use the C-stick! No real stinkers, but there was one game of chance.

None used the mic, but I didn't have it plugged in, or maybe it's only used in the "Mic Mode".

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2004, 02:57:25 AM »
    Yeah, if the mic's unplugged then it's automatically set to "off."  You have to go in and change it to "use controller" yourself, or plug it in.

I like MP6 so far, but I only got it a few days ago (i.e. Christmas).  MP4 is awful--it's the only one of the series I don't own.  (My mother and I are addicts.)

It amuses me that Toadette has a lower voice than Toad does.

[Mind your spoilers. ;) -Deez]

Edited by - Deezer on 12/29/2004 11:44:13 AM

Chiichana mune, okkina hitomi . . .

Suffix

• Steamed
    « Reply #10 on: December 29, 2004, 02:46:43 PM »
    Err... Deezer? We can still read that. Is... that person unlockable or something?

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2004, 10:13:40 PM »
    Heh, sorry.  I didn't think that was a spoiler, since you can tell about . . . that person from the very beginning of the game (and even on the box art, if I'm remembering correctly).  I didn't consider it to be a "secret" character.
    Chiichana mune, okkina hitomi . . .

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
    « Reply #12 on: December 30, 2004, 03:07:17 PM »
    I played MP6 for a little while. Is it just me, or are the 1 vs. 3 games becoming more and more biased towards the single player?

I thought this game was a bit more slowly-paced than the other MP games I played (The N64 ones)... but that's me. I think my attention span's on its way out, though. Maybe it was just the mini-games I got.

~I.S.~
    ~I.S.~

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2004, 05:49:47 PM »
    Here's my opinions:

Mario Party 1 was fun because it was the original idea, and it was simple, however it took the least effort and ended up being one of the better ones.

Mario Party 2 was AWSOME.  I liked the way it wasn't all new and had some old stuff in there.  I especially liked bumper balls, and the island one with the bullet bills.

Mario Party 3 was one of the less-good ones, but it was still playable.  I enjoyed it, but i didn't like it at first and had to grow into it, but i did.  However, i still prefer some of the other ones.

Mario Party 4 was a good way to spin off the series on gamecube.  This one was probably my favourite because it had the best mini-games and the lottery shop just ruled.  It's good for teenagers with gambling problems (ha ha ha).  Also, it was awsome with the mushrooms and items were EXCELLEnt.  I thought this one was the most innovative and therefore the most fun, and everyone else that has played it in my town agrees that it's the best.

Mario Party 5 was crap.  Although it wasn't utmostly terrible, it was by far the worst mario party game, and it was such a bad addition that it made me question buying 6 over 4 but maybe they fixed what they did wrong in 5.

Mario Party 6 i still have yet to try, but I might buy it, or i might just buy 4 because it kicked ***.

I love me, and you love me because i''''m the best and you''''re not, and I am so awsome.
    ~Toddy

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2005, 02:08:59 AM »
    So now, actually due partially to responses on this forum, I own mario party 6.  I have to say that it is fantastic.  The solo mode can get tedious, but it's a quick way to unlock all the special features.  I think the game could have used a better intro and I think, as I carefully choose words to avoid spoilers, that certain unlockable pages in a certain book could have been far more entertaining and valuable than they were.  Something very interesting to me is that each board has a special mode of play.  I don't know if 5 did this because I never played it, but from what I can tell only 2 of the 6 boards use the standard procedure of the star appearing in a random location and following with the race to get it first - for instance, in one board, everyone starts with 5 stars at the start, and then rides chain chomps into each other to steal the stars of the opponent.  I really like these additions to the board.  The placing of orbs on the board (again I haven't played 5 but have heard of orbs being in it) has been really entertaining so far.  And the mic recognition is really nice, though the novelty of it wears off after awhile and you're just left with mario party.

MAAAAARIO WHERE AAAAARE YOU??

Print