Poll

Sonic Unleashed do you think it will bring back Sonic games?

Yes
3 (14.3%)
Don't Know
14 (66.7%)
No
1 (4.8%)
No and nothing will bring him back Sonic is dead
3 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Print

Author Topic: Sonic Unleashed! Will it bring him back from the grave?  (Read 9890 times)

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 01:40:24 AM »
Hey, Sega does know what gamers want!
*doesn't understand* Putting the hedgehog out of his misery? That picture's hilarious though. And were-Sonic's kind of cute from that side glance. If you got to steal, steal from some of the best.

I'm reserved on Sonic Unleashed for the moment, mostly because the visuals look realistic while Sonic still looks cartoony (the Sonic game for PS3 suffered from this: Sonic just looked like he didn't belong, and rushing past realistic areas makes me dizzy for some reason). I also don't like that the camera changes angles so much in the video. For a 3D game it'd be understandable. For a 2D game, no, I don't want it changing angles that much, not even when the hedgehog's going through an automated sequence at the time. I say Kirby Crystal Shards had the right idea: the camera angle changed as you went through the stage, but slowly and gradually (mostly so the curved path Kirby walked across always seemed straight). If you moved backwards, the camera would basically reverse its movements, again giving the impression that you were always in 2D and not seeing anything more than before due to angle since it's just going back to the angles you saw earlier in the stage (in other words, while the camera slowly curves right when you're moving right, it slowly curves left when you're moving left... or something like that).

Overall, the impression that Sonic Team's doomed to destroy Sonic as much as possible is still there just because this still does not look merely like a 2D game. They couldn't keep the angle static, they had to change it. I know Sonic Rush had something about action being on two screens, but that was still 2D. I'm not holding my breath for Sonic truly coming back to life until I see the reviews.

And I'm still waiting for them to fix the back of Sonic's head.
You didn't say wot wot.

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 11:06:04 AM »
These hi-def screenshots are making me seriously consider getting a 360.
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

Linkin800

• Choppy words and a sloppy flow
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 11:40:38 AM »
Nice... Hopfuly Sega dosent rush this.
Time is repeating itself. Why you say? Look at the Wii and NES and you'll know why.

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008, 07:00:43 PM »
And I'm still waiting for them to fix the back of Sonic's head.
What's wrong with the back of Sonic's head?
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2008, 10:24:50 PM »
What's wrong with the back of Sonic's head?
The multiple spikes there (pic is from Sonic the Hedgehog for PS3). Just looks weird. Would have expected maybe one line of spikes, like the one line of Yoshi red spikes. Looking back at it, I suppose it's no big deal.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2008, 11:06:21 PM »
Sonic has always had six spikes on the back on his head like that.  It was the first two cartoon series that got it wrong by flattening them all into a single column.  I guess whoever came up with the character designs for the cartoons never played the bonus game in Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

Now I do think that his spikes have gotten very long and droopy in recent years.  I imagine it was part of the attempt to make Sonic look older by making him taller and leaner, but to me they look too limp to cut anything and so heavy that Sonic shouldn't be able to stand up anymore.
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2008, 11:37:25 PM »
Uh, don't they represent a multitude of quills, which would be light?
That was a joke.

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2008, 11:53:01 PM »
Yeah... I always thought it was strange how you attack with your spikes in those games, but the bad guys have spikes that are stronger than yours, so you can't spike their spikes or you'll get spiked.
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2008, 02:57:53 PM »
I really hope the enemies in this game don't have hit points. That was a really annoying thing about Sonic Heroes. (and 06, so I've heard)
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

Linkin800

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2008, 04:52:50 PM »
youtube is saying that all the Sonic unleashed videos are no longer available due to a copyright claim by Sega. Well WTD isent Sonic Unleashed owned by Sega or not?!
Time is repeating itself. Why you say? Look at the Wii and NES and you'll know why.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2008, 05:15:14 PM »
youtube is saying that all the Sonic unleashed videos are no longer available due to a copyright claim by Sega. Well WTD isent Sonic Unleashed owned by Sega or not?!

Because someone who isn't a Sega representative or something didn't upload the video. A normal person did who didn't own Sega.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Linkin800

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2008, 02:13:04 PM »
New video!

http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14242720/sonic-unleashed/videos/sonic_unleashed_trlr1_040308.html

And the game has been comfirmed to be on Wii and PS2.... Great........
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 02:19:27 PM by Linkin800 »

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2008, 06:33:06 PM »
Yeah, what's with the PS2? I think I probably said this before, but you can tell Sony doesn't have much confidence in the PS3 if they're still letting people so feverently support it. Also, although non-exclusivity is generally good, it sometimes seems like the more consoles a game comes out on, the lesser the quality.

These hi-def screenshots are making me seriously consider getting a 360.
Heck, I'd get one myself if all the best games weren't already on the PC (that, and it has the highest failure rate of any console).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2008, 07:21:15 PM »
Sega has made a Sonic Unleashed Website, its starting to look like a good game.
What ever you do don't press Ctrl-W

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2008, 09:15:41 PM »
ShadowBrain, did you ever notice that one console, the original PlayStation?
Did you notice how long it stayed alive after PS2 came out? Do you notice how your argument doesn't make any sense?
Also, more people own a PS2. Which means greater game sales. Since the PS2 is pretty much the most successful system.
That was a joke.

Print