Poll

What are your views on abortion?

Pro-life
Pro-choice
Undecided
Print

Author Topic: Abortion  (Read 67839 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #135 on: July 02, 2008, 07:14:18 PM »
I can't see how people can call themselves pro-life and meanwhile eat meat. What about the cows? You're killing them, but could still do without killing them.

1. Some people literally depend on beef as a major part of their diet.  Not to mention the fact that beef is an integral part of most fast-food chains.

2. Since when is a cow the same as a human being?

Yes, I read it CrossEyed, but see, I disagree with you and most people on several parts. I think killing a baby is less horrible than killing an adult. I think killing someone brainless (literally, i.e. Terry Schiavo) isn't as reprehensible as killing a normal human.  It's because human life really is based on what makes you human, such as thinking, feeling, and that sort of stuff. Like I said, I'm not saying abortion isn't killing, I'm saying it can't be called 'murder'. If that's the case, euthanizing a terminally ill patient is also murder.

Human life is based on human life, not thinking or feeling.  If they are a human (not an animal), and are living and breathing, who are you to say they aren't as alive as you or me?  Strictly speaking, anyone whose basic body functions are being carried out is alive.  As for killing a baby vs. killing an adult, wouldn't it be worse to kill someone with no chance to defend themself?  Are you advocating killing weak/defective people?  Does their being weak or defective make them less of a human being? 
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #136 on: July 02, 2008, 07:57:28 PM »
I agree with Meowrik (!). Killing a cow is much "meaner" than killing a fetus. With that said, I don't care if someone kills a cow and I don't care if someone kills a fetus.

« Reply #137 on: July 02, 2008, 08:50:10 PM »
I agree with Meowrik (!). Killing a cow is much "meaner" than killing a fetus. With that said, I don't care if someone kills a cow and I don't care if someone kills a fetus.

It's the same thing.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #138 on: July 02, 2008, 11:10:03 PM »
Cows aren't the same as human beings, but either way you're killing both of them. I'm just saying, if you're that concerned about killing a fetus, you should feel guilty about killing animals for food as well. See now like Lizard Dude said, I don't care who kills what.

See, the reason I say it's better to kill a baby or mentally ill patient than a normal human is that regardless of what you say, they can't appreciate their 'human life' the way a regular being can. Look at it this way: if you were forced to kill one person out of a group of three, who would you kill? A newborn baby, a 10 year old boy who's just starting to understand the world around him, or a 30 year old mother supporting her two kids? If you have any sense of moral well being, you'd kill the baby. The baby is thoughtless, mindless, it can't understand it's being killed, and it isn't missing much.
It's this same reason why I think funding research on baby diseases like SIDS is a waste of money. They should be using that money to research cures for more horrible diseases like breast cancer and such.

Point and case, in my opinion, human life should be measured on said human's ability to recognize and appreciate its own human life. Basically, you need to acknowledge your own existance to... well... exist.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #139 on: July 02, 2008, 11:25:38 PM »
See, the reason I say it's better to kill a baby or mentally ill patient than a normal human is that regardless of what you say, they can't appreciate their 'human life' the way a regular being can.

"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #140 on: July 02, 2008, 11:46:46 PM »
See, the reason I say it's better to kill a baby or mentally ill patient than a normal human is that regardless of what you say, they can't appreciate their 'human life' the way a regular being can. Look at it this way: if you were forced to kill one person out of a group of three, who would you kill? A newborn baby, a 10 year old boy who's just starting to understand the world around him, or a 30 year old mother supporting her two kids? If you have any sense of moral well being, you'd kill the baby. The baby is thoughtless, mindless, it can't understand it's being killed, and it isn't missing much.
Even if it is better to kill a baby in that situation, does that justify killing one for convenience? In an abortion, it's not a choice between killing the baby or killing the mother, it's a choice between killing the baby or having the mother go through a few months of discomfort as a result of her irresponsibility (again, ignoring the <1% of abortions that result from rape or incest), and then giving the baby to one of the thousands of people who want one. Is a baby's life really that worthless?

I believe everyone has the right to exist, and that if we don't protect that right -- especially for the ones who have no way of protecting themselves -- we have failed as a civilization.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #141 on: July 03, 2008, 08:10:12 AM »
Cows aren't the same as human beings, but either way you're killing both of them. I'm just saying, if you're that concerned about killing a fetus, you should feel guilty about killing animals for food as well. See now like Lizard Dude said, I don't care who kills what.

Point and case, in my opinion, human life should be measured on said human's ability to recognize and appreciate its own human life. Basically, you need to acknowledge your own existance to... well... exist.

1. Cows are dumb animals, not human beings.

2. What about an inanimate object, such as a shoe?  It is incapable of acknowledging its own existence, but by virtue of its being on my foot, I can say with absolute certainty that it exists.  Are you saying that if you just ignore something that can't think for itself, it doesn't exist?  Sorry, but it doesn't work that way.  I really don't think you're that naive, but rather that you're trying to justify abortion.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #142 on: July 03, 2008, 10:36:03 AM »
Look at it this way: if you were forced to kill one person out of a group of three, who would you kill? A newborn baby, a 10 year old boy who's just starting to understand the world around him, or a 30 year old mother supporting her two kids? If you have any sense of moral well being, you'd kill the baby. The baby is thoughtless, mindless, it can't understand it's being killed, and it isn't missing much.

Forrest Guy makes a very valid point here. It'd probably be better to kill a baby then a mother who has two kids to support. With that being said, I don't really support abortion at all. Maybe I'm anti-choice too.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #143 on: July 03, 2008, 02:42:54 PM »
1. Cows are dumb animals, not human beings.

Aw, dat's mean.
every

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #144 on: July 03, 2008, 03:09:36 PM »
Ok, here we go...

A fetus isn't a human being.
Yes it is. As soon as it's conceived, it's a living human being. This is not just a religious belief, either. It's been proven scientifically.

I can't see how people can call themselves pro-life and meanwhile eat meat. What about the cows? You're killing them, but could still do without killing them.
Dude, cows don't have souls.

I'm not saying abortion isn't killing, I'm saying it can't be called 'murder'. If that's the case, euthanizing a terminally ill patient is also murder.
Killing a human being is murder. An unborn baby is a human being. Thus, abortion is murder. And yes, euthanizing people is also murder.

They should be using that money to research cures for more horrible diseases like breast cancer and such.
There are already cures for cancer. The medical industry just doesn't want anyone to know about them, because if it was cured they'd no longer be making money from cancer patients.

So it's okay to kill people in comas too, huh?
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

« Reply #145 on: July 03, 2008, 03:14:33 PM »

And why is that? Cows are not on the same level as people, and neither are sheep, pigs, or any other kind of animal. Yes, that includes even animals that we love like cats and dogs. HOWEVER, this does not mean that I support killing animals whenever people feel like it. No matter what the animal, killing it inhumanely or for no reason is wrong, end of story.

On the other hand, killing animals like cows for food is necessary, because most humans depend on meat to survive. It would be absolutely impossible to turn the world into a vegetarian planet, and it would have devastating effects on the third world countries. Does this mean that we can kill them however we want? No - once again, killing animals for meat is only appropriate if it is done mercifully. I myself am not happy with how cows are fed into slaughter engines like pieces of wood these days - there's got to be a better way than that. :X
What is a mystery? Just go inside my head, and you'll find out.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #146 on: July 03, 2008, 03:35:48 PM »
Ok, here we go...
1) Yes it is. As soon as it's conceived, it's a living human being. This is not just a religious belief, either. It's been proven scientifically.

2) Dude, cows don't have souls.

3) Killing a human being is murder. An unborn baby is a human being. Thus, abortion is murder. And yes, euthanizing people is also murder.

4) There are already cures for cancer. The medical industry just doesn't want anyone to know about them, because if it was cured they'd no longer be making money from cancer patients.

5) So it's okay to kill people in comas too, huh?

1) Never mind the fact that something like 40% of conceptions are aborted naturally when they can't attach properly, etc.

2) Neither do humans.

3) Killing a person is murder. You have not proven, in the slightest, that an unborn baby is equivalent to a human being. Your argument is flawed. And you think it's more "moral" to force someone who wants to die to suffer for years instead of just letting them die and not have to deal with unbearable pain? Seriously?

4) At least you got one thing right.

5) If there's zero chance of them awakening, the person becomes a strain on resources. If the person in a coma explicitly said they'd rather be killed if put in this situation, then there's -nothing- wrong with letting them die.

Conclusion: My points look as ridiculous to you as your points are to me and nothing I say is going to have an impact on anyone at all
~I.S.~

« Reply #147 on: July 03, 2008, 04:39:24 PM »
Conclusion: My points look as ridiculous to you as your points are to me and nothing I say is going to have an impact on anyone at all

Yup, pretty much.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #148 on: July 03, 2008, 09:29:19 PM »
For the soul argument, I'll go with the ancient Roman perspective, and that is if it moves, it has a soul. Hence, animus -> animal. (People are animals too kinda.)
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #149 on: July 04, 2008, 01:06:47 AM »
Yes humans are animals as there are five kingdoms of organisms not counting what viruses may or may not be and we are not plants nor fungus nor unicellular and so we're animals and just because we don't adapt to the environment and make it adapt to us does not make our species all that special.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Print