Print

Author Topic: Good Multiplayer DS Games  (Read 6020 times)

« on: August 14, 2007, 05:38:15 PM »
So, my fiancee and I have come into possesion of two DS's. But now we need games to play together! I know there are a few games that have limited options with one game pak (like New SMB, as we have found out), but is it worth the money to own two copies of a game if just the two of us are going to play it?

Here is a rundown of my DS game list. Reccomend to me any games that would be worth owning a second copy (like I know ACWW is one of them)..

New SMB
Kirby Squeek Squad
Mario Hoops
Dig Dug DS
Tetris DS
Animal Crossing: Wild World
Mario VS DK 2: March of the Minis
Mario Kart DS

Also, if we were to get a second copy of New SMB, what kind of options would open up? There are currently enough to keep us satisfied for a couple of gaming sessions, but what about the future?

EDIT: I'm actually not sure if this was the right place for the thread, so if it isn't, pardon me.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 05:47:29 PM »
I'm pretty sure owning two copies of New SMB doesn't do anything. You can play all minigames and multiplayer stuff with just one card.

From personal experience, I would recommend Mario Kart and Tetris, but you already have those two. Meteos is good, and would probably be a lot more fun if you're going head-to-head with someone.

I think Brain Age and Big Brain Academy also have multiplayer functions but I'm not sure. As you can see, I did no research prior to this post so correct me if I'm wrong.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 12:11:00 PM »
Meteos. Also, if both of you have time to get through an RPG, you should each get one of the fourth-gen Pokémon games.

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 02:14:46 PM »
So it looks like games worth getting another copy of that I already have are ACWW, Mario Kart, and Tetris.

If we were to go for a new game, Pokemon would probably be her choice, since she's always been somewhat of a Poke-maniac (or was back in the Red and Blue days, like me).
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 03:52:46 PM »
From what you already own
Tetris DS
Mario Kart DS
Mario Hoops

Top picks
Elite Beat Agents (and if you like that get Ouendan 1 and 2 from Japan)
Daigasso Band Bros. (another Japanese rhythm game)
Zoo Keeper (puzzle game that my ex loved)
Clubhouse Games (42 games in one!)
Bomberman Land Touch (minigames)

Other possibilities
Pokemon Trozei (if you like Pokemon and puzzle games, this is both)
Children of Mana (action RPG that plays somewhat like Zelda)
Diddy Kong Racing DS

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 04:22:02 PM »
From what you didn't mention, my wife personally loves to play me on:

Clubhouse Games (a must get if you ask me)
Brain Age (and part 2, for sure)
Big Brain Academy
Magnetica

She also likes Nintendogs and LOVES Animal Crossing.
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 04:29:13 PM »
Thanks guys.

I don't think we're going to do the Diddy Kong Racing DS, though, since I own it on the N64 already (and it takes a total of 10 seconds to find the cables and hook it up).

That Zoo Keeper game sounds familiar.. Isn't it also a game for the PC, where-in the gameplay is sort of like RollerCoaster Tycoon, where you build a zoo from scratch and make it popular..?

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 05:50:14 PM »
No, that's Zoo Tycoon.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 05:58:39 PM »
Mario Kart DS and Brain Age 1 and 2 are must haves.  I wish my wife wanted to play DS more.  She was turned off by the BLUE in Brain Age.  Oh well, we play a lot of Wii games together.   
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 09:00:02 PM »
I don't mean to intrude on your topic, Toad, but I have a question. Which Brain Age is better, 1 or 2? I was thinking about skipping 1 and just buying 2. I don't really want to own both.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 04:45:39 PM »
Zoo Keeper is a great Bejeweled clone. Daigasso! Band-Brothers is pretty fun, and you really can't go wrong with EBA/Ouendan. I forgot about Magnetica, which is a sequel to a Japanese arcade game called Puzz Loop (there's also a PC version from PopCap Games called Zuma). Also, I can't believe no one else mentioned Planet Puzzle League.

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2007, 07:49:12 PM »
That's ok, bobman. This is what topics are for. I don't see your question as intruding. Questions that are completely not about the topic at hand are the ones that derail topics (ie: I think you should get MKDS, but what kind of topping should my pizza have tonight?!)

Now I just need to save money to get all these things (not all at once, of course, but over time..)

I'm not sure, but I think my fiancee's mom is already hooked on Zuma for the PC.. isn't that the one with the frog that spits out jewels in the middle of a temple setting..?

EDIT: fixed a slight typo that I had. My fingers were moving too fast for my mind..
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 01:59:43 PM by Toad »

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2007, 10:08:11 PM »
I have a new recommendation:

Nanostray (a space shooter)

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2007, 04:49:33 AM »

I'm not sure, but I think my fiancee's mom is already hooked on Zuma for the PC.. isn't that the one with the frog that spits out jewels in the middle of a temple setting..?

Yep, that's the one, Magnetica is very similar in concept, but I found the interface more inviting.

Also, your wife may enjoy StarFox DS, but I know mine did not take it up, even though the concept is simple, those type of games aren't her style. Here's a life of games she plays that I didn't mention before (Wii and DS):

Mario Party 8
Sonic Rush
Feel the Magic
NEW Super Mario Bros
Yoshi's Island DS
Elite Beat Agents (though she only plays this one because she likes the Avril song on there)

And I believe that's about it. The number game I want to recommend, again, is Clubhouse Games. She plays that every night, and even has to convince me to play (I'm so tired of losing to her at "Spit")
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2007, 10:10:29 PM »
Ok, so there's this DS game that came out around 5 days ago called Luminous Arc. I would like to know if any of you have heard of it and if it's any good.

I don't trust the reviews from IGN, and that's the only place that has reviews of the game up thus far.. though, if I get it and don't like it, I could always add it to the stack of games/DVD's that are going to Hastings here in a few days..

Print