Print

Author Topic: Nintendo's core audience and 3rd Parties  (Read 3563 times)

matto

• from America's hatto
« on: June 26, 2008, 02:32:54 PM »
Through out my experience with Nintendo consoles, the one thing that has always astonded me was the core Nintendo audience perspective on 3rd parties and their development studios. With the Wii being considered the technical underdog but selling by the bucket loads, what are on a majority of core audience minds? Simple: 3rd parties are not trying.

In UBIsoft's case, they have already dug a hole for themselves in the Nintendo fanbase and I highly doubt they can get the forgiveness anytime soon. UBI has already, stupidly, written off the entire Wii fanbase as "casual gamers". Hmm, fair enough, Wii Fit is selling by the bucket loads, but is everyone buying Wii Fit a casual gamer?

While UBI is receiving the brunt of the Nintendo's core audience scorn, what about other third parties? Are they safe from our supposed overlooking of their games?

I once read a saying on another Nintendo forum once, and I loved it ever since, back during the GCN era after Capcom's infamous GCN 5 bull: "Hell hath no fury like a PO'ed Nintendo fan."

It's something I am really noticing this generation.
Canada, eh? '87

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 03:43:40 PM »
Simple: Nintendo won't let 3rd parties have cool stuff before they do.

Fixed.
every

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 06:50:57 PM »
Simple: Nintendo won't let 3rd parties have cool stuff before they do.
Fixed.
Like what?

Honestly, it doesn't take space-age hardware or cool features to make a good game. Just a creative mind and some programming know-how. Something like NinjaBread Man could have been a classic if the developers put some thought and effort into it to make a deep, innovative platformer, even with bad graphics and sound. Something like SMB3 is still fun to play today because it's a refined experience with good control, pacing and challenges
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 10:03:31 PM »
I think what you are all forgetting is that 90% of games on all systems are terrible.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 11:50:10 PM »
Ubisoft explains their obsession with the letter "Z"!

I've already expressed my sentiments about this issue more times than anyone has cared to hear, so I'll just ask what I think is the most pertinent question anyone can pose about the whole "casual" thing at this point. I think I said this before, but it's still applicable so I'll say it again:

If we are the "core" gamers, why aren't they focusing on us?

"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 12:03:39 AM »
Because we don't buy cheap shovelware and line lazy developers with cash.

Sometimes they'll throw a bone though, but its the same old game you've played before, but with some new features and such.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 12:17:51 AM »
I can't figure out what you people are complaining about. I try to keep up with all the good releases and there are still way too many to play. Who cares if there's 10x more bad releases coming out when there are still more good ones than you can even play? Let alone dedicating yourself to one and getting really good.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 09:46:03 AM »
I'm complaining about that fact that Nintendo kisses the butts of their fanboys by calling them "core" when they don't mean jack squat to them... the fanboys that kept them from going Sega all last generation. There's nothing wrong with games going mainstream like books, movies, and music have throughout history, but there's highbrow, lowbrow, and in-between books/movies/music. Right now, on Nintendo consoles (and, gradually, others), all I'm seeing is lots of lowbrow and some in-between.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 09:57:50 AM »
Then I have to say you're seriously not paying attention.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 12:21:17 PM »
...To?

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 12:51:48 PM »
I'm tempted to say "exactly."
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 08:52:50 PM »
Alright then... enlighten me.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 07:34:45 AM »
I don't know what Chup's talking about, I just thought it was a good joke.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Print