Print

Author Topic: Twisted New Disney Game  (Read 17508 times)

« on: October 02, 2009, 05:28:42 PM »
What the heck. This is a little disturbing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EUa24ZmPkc  (Might want to turn down volume at 2:30...)

Although most of the stuff the kid says is not true, these are all real designs for a future Wii game.

Discuss.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 05:47:30 PM »
Yeah, that "Epic Mickey" thing... this has been in the (gaming) news for a while, and I could've sworn we had a thread about it (I checked, though, and nothing turned up).

Man, I don't know.. this just smacks of that American McGee-type crap where they emo and/or maturify some beloved characters to get attention and make a quick buck.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 06:28:44 PM »
If Mickey and co. have fallen by the cultural wayside, they should have done so naturally istead of (literally) clinging onto the collective consciousness as demented perversions of their former selves. Half of what'll sell this game is sheer shock value. The closest comparison that I can conjure up is if Spongebob were to be replaced in its waning days by Spengbab, thus mentally raping its remaining dedicated audience altogether instead of just temporarily revitalizing the franchise with some new quirk (e.g., Spongebob in Space, Anime, etc.) to boost viewership.

tl;dr: [dukar], Disnep. Now you've done it.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 06:48:05 PM »
It wasn't a thread before, but it was brought up in Things That Made You Poop A Little. at one point. My stance is the same as it was in that thread.

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 09:33:26 PM »
Man, I don't know.. this just smacks of that American McGee-type crap where they emo and/or maturify some beloved characters to get attention and make a quick buck.
I almost fell for it (I tried the demo but nearly gave up during one of the jumping puzzles). The trailer to McGee's "Alice" was so good... it's a shame the game wasn't any good because the game looked wonderful. I guess the same can be said of any Lionhead game. And I don't care how it's pronounced, I still say McGee as McJee.

I smell a new distinctive style coming on. "Dark", "steampunk", someone's eye missing in at least one of the pictures, someone looking like a zombie, and it remakes an old children classic of some sort. I shall call it the McGee style. A steampunk Shrek can't be too far behind, with Donkey resembling a short stubby Thestral.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 11:33:53 PM »
Great. Now I won't be able to sleep for the visions going through my head and the hearing the creepy music. Thanks!
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 07:23:14 AM »
"Wakt Disney" was a very strange man. Anyway, it seems a buttload of the info in the video was made up, but the images themselves are all real.

My original opinion still stands; I think the concept is absurdly misguided and reeks of the same mentality that dominated the 90s "Dark Age" of comics: Add lots of gore and scariness and "mature themes" (read: take old tragic theatre plots, add Disney characters). Of course, as long as Warren Spector has a direct hand in the game, I cannot fully declare it crappy.

And either way, that's all just concept art. I've been formulating in my head this idea of it as a sort of horror/RPG deal, but for all we know it could be a hundred times different than what the art is leading us to believe.
every

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 10:27:15 AM »
Last I checked, there isn't even any game idea yet at all. It's just a concept that the guy that were developing it hoped they could get Disney to jump on board with. So they started drawing stuff.
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 12:14:23 PM »
I forget when and where, but I remember Game Informer or somesuch confirming that while there's no beta or anything, Disney is on board and they are actually working on something.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 02:59:32 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_Mickey

I keep getting confused and thinking it's being worked on by Phil Spector (then again, the style might make more sense that way).

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 03:15:22 PM »
Considering how incoherent the game's other themes are, a soundtrack consisting primarily of 60's girl group recordings might work perfectly.

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 02:24:39 PM »

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 08:08:57 PM »

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 08:15:22 PM »
This game looks like hot Burton on Disney action.

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 08:16:02 PM »
They need to hurry up with info on this game. I don't look forward to titles unless I know how the game will play, so I'm not getting my hopes up over some horror/steampunk pictures of the Disney crew.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 07:47:01 AM »
It was just confirmed as a Wii exclusive for Fall 2010. Besides that, I don't think there's much other info.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 10:19:24 AM »
The previous news briefs billed it as being a platformer with a twinge of Okami's painting mechanic.

Looking at that piece of artwork leads me to believe they were right.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 02:00:44 PM »
I'm sorry, but that cover just makes this look like Kingdom Hearts Halloween Edition, at least aesthetics-wise. I was getting my hopes up for some serious scary [dukar].
every

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 02:38:00 PM »
It's like Jaws: The more you can see it, the less frightening it becomes... With a few exceptions, of course:

"It's Mickey time!"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 04:19:54 PM »

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2009, 11:02:18 PM »
I'm sorry, but that cover just makes this look like Kingdom Hearts Halloween Edition, at least aesthetics-wise. I was getting my hopes up for some serious scary [dukar].

My ass. It's the polar opposite of both Nomura and Squeenix's stylings. Way to be shallow about it.

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2009, 11:24:36 PM »
Regardless of the art, let's look at a more important matter: who do you want developing your dark Mickey game?

Warren Spector, producer of God-tier games of legendary quality and innovation

or

Square-Enix

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2009, 06:38:35 AM »
Both at once.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2009, 09:36:32 AM »
*maims ShadowBrian*

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2009, 10:45:09 AM »
I've never owned a Disney character game, but based on the few first details it sounds cool enough for me to consider buying it. Of course, that's just these first few details though, like I said. Need to keep my eye on it.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2009, 11:21:56 AM »
I dunno, I was hoping it'd be like Conker's Bad Fur Day but with Disney Characters, now it just looks like a half happy game.
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2009, 12:12:39 PM »
* Chupperson Weird hogties Tv_Themes and throws him in the river
That was a joke.

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2009, 01:31:05 PM »
Honestly, I'm a bit disappointed its about Mickey saving the Disney World (not the Amusement Park). I was expecting Mickey to go Alex DeLarge on us and be a bad boy.

After all, the original concept said Mickey committed suicide.
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2009, 02:42:09 PM »
I'd be all for a Disney game which incoporates the company's most beloved mascots into real-world dilemmas. I can see it now:

"After Mickey Mouse decided to take his own life due to low network approval ratings, life in the Disney universe took a sudden turn for the worse. Minnie managed to maintain a sporadic source of income by means of streetwalking until, shortly after escaping from her abusive pimp, Mortimer Mouse, she expired during a botched back-alley abortion."

Stay tuned for the next chapter in which Goofy succumbs to HIV/AIDS following a string of illicit homosexual affairs.

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2009, 02:54:50 PM »
Goofy has a son, so he's not gay.

But either way, that isn't good for Goofy's image. Wow, Goofy is not a virgin!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2009, 03:10:28 PM »
Goofy has a son, so he's not gay.

So does Clay Aiken.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2009, 04:39:32 PM »
That's all you could think of?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2009, 05:40:24 PM »
After all, the original concept said Mickey committed suicide.
I thought that was just something the guy who made that video pulled out of his butt...

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2009, 09:25:48 PM »
Yeah, that was totally not part of the original "concept" at all. The original concept was like all about art style and nothing else.
That was a joke.

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2009, 10:01:47 PM »
Well, I still hope all the freaky stuff is there, like the Goofy Zombie, the apocalyptic Disney World (amusement park) and the Chimera.

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2009, 11:55:24 PM »
Well, the idea of seeing lost Disney characters is promising. Maybe Clarabelle Cow and Horace Horsecollar will come back. Maybe there will be a secret level with Uncle Remus and Br'er Rabbit (bonus points if Br'er's sulking about not being able to find his laughing place anymore). And Hubie and Bertie (yeah-yeah, sure-sure, Riot! Riot!). And whoever those two groundhogs were. Oh, don't forget Gabby Goat. Maybe cameos by Meeko from Pocahontas and Djali the goat from Hunchback of Notre Dame (and any other sidekick characters). Throw in one of those parrots from the Three Caballeros for good measure.

Like TV_Themes, I hope they keep the freaky stuff in, because the details on that page make it sound like a standard platformer. And I couldn't get into Mickey Mania (there's a million things trying to kill me at once), so it will take a bit to make me want to play another Mickey game. Come to think of it, it might just be Oswald spreading robots around rather than our old favorite characters permanently turned into zombies (until Mickey saves the world).

It seems in McGee's "Alice" that Cheshire Cat just became mangy over the years and is somewhat harmless. Screw that. I looked at the box cover of the game. Cheshire looked like pure evil there, and I wanted him to be pure evil in the game.

I had forgotten about Max, Goofy's son. Wonder if we'll see him again. You'd think he'd adjust naturally to the new world. Just adopt a goth or punk look and he'd be ready to go.
You didn't say wot wot.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2009, 07:23:09 AM »
Mickey Mania always annoyed me, but Magical Quest Starring Mickey was fun. First game I ever beat. Haven't played the sequels yet.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2009, 05:09:35 PM »
Didn't Nintendo publish one of those?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2009, 08:09:17 PM »
And Hubie and Bertie (yeah-yeah, sure-sure, Riot! Riot!). And whoever those two groundhogs were. Oh, don't forget Gabby Goat

Those are all Warner Bros. characters, you twit.

And I think I've mentioned somewhere that this game almost resembles the World of Illusion sequel that never happened.

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2009, 08:34:48 PM »
The only Mickey platformer I've played was Mickey Mousecapade, the game that can't figure out its story until the end.

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2009, 05:39:53 PM »
My head promptly exploded into mountains of confetti and flaming electric guitars turning into ninja zombie pirate robots wielding Abraham Lincoln swords armed with Chuck Norris-enhanced shotguns upon watching that. Thanks a lot...jerk.

For real, this is...strange.
In a good way.
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2009, 11:43:56 PM »
Those are all Warner Bros. characters, you twit.
One of these days I'll get it through my head that anything from Looney Tunes is not Disney. Do the majority of people honestly care which characters belong to Disney and which belong to Warner Bros.?

I guess I made the comparison because early Looney Tunes episodes kind of looked like something out of Disney (they were black and white at least), more well-rounded. Maybe it's a specific artist's style I'm thinking of. Later on the characters got more angled and took on their typical screwball or goofy appearances.

As for Mickey Mousecapades, I can't get past level 2 to this day (the one with those stupid ocean waves). I can barely get past level 1. The box art looked cool at least. I wonder if all Mickey games are as hard as that one is.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2009, 01:39:03 PM »
... 0.0 Holy crap, this game is really dark. I agree with TV_themes too, if the game doesn't stay the way it is, I will have less interest in this game. Also, the first Disney game I played was Aladin for the SNES.
"Floor ice cream gives you health!" - Pit, Kid Icarus Uprising.

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2009, 11:04:32 PM »

« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2009, 01:53:27 AM »
I don't know what I was expecting, but that looks like regular Mickey to me. I don't see what the big deal was about what his face was going to look like. And I hope everything ends up being darker and more twisted than what we see here. It only looks mildly kooky here.

But if anything this might be a more playable Mickey game than the rest because I won't die in the first ten seconds.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2009, 03:08:36 AM »
Is it just me, or do Mickey's eyes look vaguely Sonic-ish?
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2009, 08:24:28 AM »
Yeah, you're right... well, to me, he looks like a colorized Steamboat Willie Mickey; it's definitely different than... wait, what was the last Mickey game, anyway?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2009, 10:28:26 AM »
Why is Mickey on Xen?
every

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2009, 10:36:36 AM »
Okay guys, this is the "original" Mickey design, where his eyes were basically the top half of his head. Later versions of Mickey turned his old eyes' pupils into his eyeballs.
That was a joke.

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2009, 04:16:05 PM »
Mickey's eyes were changed into what they are today in 1940, for his theatrical debut in Fantasia. Animators felt that giving him more detailed eyes would help him emote much more.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2009, 06:47:08 PM »
I am suddenly reminded of...

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2009, 08:28:52 PM »
I'm not, and I don't see how you are.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2009, 09:57:24 PM »
Animators felt that giving him more detailed eyes would help him emote much more.

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2009, 10:02:27 PM »
Oh, I thought you were talking about Epic Mickey's style.

Either way, Toon Link was one of Miyamoto's biggest mistakes (remember, I said TOON LINK, Wind Waker was amazing!) and I really wish it would just die. There is no reason Toon Link needs to be in Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2009, 10:05:29 PM »
Actually, I like what they're doing with splitting up the styles: Realistic on consoles, toon on portables (at least, that's how it's seemed since Wind Waker).

CrossEyed7

« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2009, 10:55:34 PM »
I'd still rather see another toon one on consoles, but if the next DS has the Tegra chip, like the rumors are saying now, that'd probably be good enough.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2009, 11:54:44 PM »
I'd rather just see Toon Link vanish like I already said. Sometimes, graphics like that DO make the game, but they NEED to stay where they are. Just like the graphics of Yoshi's Island. I want to pull my hair out every time I see someone use Yoshi's Island Exgfx in their Super Mario World Hack. Those graphics NEED to stay in its own game.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2009, 12:31:16 AM »
And sometimes you are totally wrong about pretty much everything.
That was a joke.

« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »
So you don't like the Paper Mario games at all then? They use YI graphics as their base you know.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2009, 07:54:42 PM »
I've never made that connection myself, but it's feasible now that you mention it. Let's just agree that TV is wrong and be done with it.

« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2009, 10:15:10 PM »
Let's just agree that TV is wrong and be done with it.
Yes, enough of the tyranny of sports games and Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader, it's time to "drop it like a trig class"!
(actually, trigonometry was the easiest and most fun math class I ever had. Screw integrals, triangles is where it's at)

I too wish Toon Link would go away, he just strikes me as ugly. Those big eyes don't emote any more than the regular Link did (the only difference I see is that he moves a bit more than usual, such as his eyes moving when he's up against a wall - Twilight Princess had NPCs moving more than usual too). And I hate that that one lock of hair just dangles upward above his hat when he's running forward. And it looks weird that his eye is in front of his hair there - how does that work? You see that sort of thing in anime.
But it's a little better than the initial Toon Link design, and I guess he's more tolerable when he's at a distance like in Smash Bros. Brawl. But I'm annoyed that he's taken the place of Kid Link. There was nothing wrong with Kid Link other than a slightly-creepy face.
You didn't say wot wot.

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2009, 10:39:57 AM »
YI uses what I call "2.5D" graphics. PM is barely 2D, unless its SPM.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2009, 01:21:56 PM »
I think you've got that backwards.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2009, 03:06:25 PM »
THREAD DERAILED

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2009, 04:59:55 PM »
Personally I think Obama should not be elligible for a Nobel prize because he's a Muslim.
every

« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2009, 05:41:51 PM »
And it looks weird that his eye is in front of his hair there - how does that work? You see that sort of thing in anime.

You answered your own question. I think it's ok for anime and games to borrow things from eachother. They've been doing it for years..

THREAD DERAILED

You know, after reading that post, my eyes saw Glorb's custom title. Made it kinda funny..

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2009, 08:17:43 PM »
Personally I think Obama should not be elligible for a Nobel prize because he's a Muslim.

I'm not really for Obama, but I wish this foolishness would just die. The only piece of proof there is is him wearing a towel on his head, and for all we know that could have been a Halloween costume.

But I'm stopping right here :|

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2009, 02:56:18 PM »
Anyone ever heard of that game Epic Mickey? Yeah, pretty cool, huh.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2009, 03:49:25 PM »

« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2009, 04:32:28 PM »
You know what, I'm not really expecting anything good from Disney + Nintendo.

« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2009, 05:00:39 PM »
Well, if this isn't going to be a Mickey Mouse version of American McGee's Alice, I'm out.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2009, 06:47:27 PM »
This month's Nintendo Power featured a three-page preview on the game, which exposes it as merely a "Disneyfied" Nightmare Before Christmas. For instance, those sketches depicting zombie/cyborg-hybrid Mickey characters have given way to torpid-looking Disney icons with metal limbs. The only appreciable move they've made since those promising initial details was to feature a Steamboat Willie-styled Mickey as the protaganist.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2009, 07:56:42 AM »
In the game's defense, isn't it true that those original drawings were actually just something some guys with a really weird idea were pitching around, as opposed to actual, pre-dev concept art?

I don't know, I've heard multiple stories. The game still looks neat, though.

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #73 on: November 25, 2009, 11:38:52 PM »

...compared to...

Which, ironically, has everything to do with ShadowBrain's post.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2009, 07:16:30 PM »
...I'm sorry, you're going to have to elaborate upon that a bit. I get what you're basically saying, though.

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #75 on: November 26, 2009, 10:15:33 PM »
Really, really early concept art made the game look like something truly demented. However, now, because Disney has decided to accept his concept, they're probably the reason everything is much less dark. I also noted that you made a good point.

Print