Print

Author Topic: Remaking old Mario games on GBA...  (Read 1569 times)

« on: January 17, 2003, 06:48:55 PM »
I was just wondering what peoples views are on Nintendo's strategy of bringing out all the old Mario games as conversions on the GBA. When I first heard of the GBA and that a Mario launch title was being made for it, I knew I was getting one as soon as it came out. I was very puzzled and annoyed when I found out that the Mario launch title was going to be a slightly tweaked SMB2 with MB thrown in (and the fact they were charging full price for what was basically a game identicle to the 14 year old original made me think what Nintendo must take their fans for...).

It's the same story for all the super mario advance series. I already own all the Mario titles and I can't see why I would need to spend more money buying, what is essentialy, a low res version of the game with more sounds...

I own a GBA but no super mario advance games. Not until they (if they EVER do) make a brand new adventure. I am pitting all my hopes on SMA4 being a new title but with Nitendo's insulting stategy involving the Mario titles seems now in full motion now and they are content with raking in peoples cash bu selling us games we probably already own.

I know I'm being harsh and I consider Nintendo to be very good to its fans on the whole but I just wish that they would go back to doing what they did best on handhelds: fun and ORIGINAL games...

Anyway, anyone have any other views?

MARIO:Luigi, dont give up now! Remember the plumbers motto.

LUIGI:Who could forget. "Dont take chances or you'll go down the drain".

MARIO:No. "When the pipe is plugged keep plunging". Pasta power!
An animator once saw a street bum, "Mario" Pedianni, and wanted to use his likeness in a cartoon, offering him a percentage of all future royalties or a bottle of cheap scotch. Pedianni took the scotch. Nothing''s stupider than a skid row plumber.

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2003, 07:42:00 PM »
I agree with you pasta fan. I too used to own all the mario titles, at one time. I was thrilled when it was released that some of my favorite gameswere to appear on the GBA. The only thing is, if i am paying full price for my game, at least give me something other than Mario Brothers! It's a good game, but it's overused. I want to see Donkey Kong!

P.S. Another good addition to the GBA library would be SMRPG...*wink**wink*

"I know what you''re thinking....all this power, AND looks, too!" -Bowser SMRPG
 "I know what you''re thinking....all this power, AND looks, too!" -Bowser SMRPG

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2003, 11:23:34 PM »
Pasta fan, the SMA games are not low-resolution.
Anyway, I enjoy the SMA games because otherwise, I can't play the classic Mario games away from home.
That was a joke.

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2003, 05:35:35 AM »
Like I said at the end  of my post I knew what I had written on the subject seemed strongly anti-Nintendo. I'm sorry Chupperson Weird if I gave out that impression and will rephrase my argument:

1-It is the PRICE of the games that bothered me. Full price for a completely (except a few sound and graphics alterations) unchanged game. I know that I am a hipocrit for saying this because one of my favorite games at the moment is SSBM which is a remake of SSB. But there are so many hundreds of changes and improvements in SSBM that it can hardly be called a remake. Nintendo could have followed this and advanced on the Mario games with more levels, ideas and such (I am going to get such a beating for even SUGGESTING the Mario games could be improved...)
2-(technicaly point one from a different angle)Capcom are re-releasing resi 2 and 3 for the gamecube. However, the games are (unlike 0,1 and especialy 4!) straight copies of the older versions. I heard the games will be coming out at half price or even less because of this. Nintendo should have done this with their straight Mario game remakes in my opinion.
3-I completey agree that it is a novelty that the games can be played away from home but does this warrent them being full price?

And thats the point I (failed) to put forward before. (I think I still failed actually)

An animator once saw a street bum, "Mario" Pedianni, and wanted to use his likeness in a cartoon, offering him a percentage of all future royalties or a bottle of cheap scotch. Pedianni took the scotch. Nothing''s stupider than a skid row plumber.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2003, 11:54:32 PM »
Hmm. Well, for one thing, SSBM is a sequel to, not a remake of SSB.
Personally, I don't mind the price because it's a heckuva lot cheaper than a GCN game, and I got all my NES games for $10 or less (the Mario ones for $4 each), and I don't have a SNES yet.
That was a joke.

Print