Print

Author Topic: Mariology (serious posts wanted)  (Read 477761 times)

« Reply #1350 on: August 22, 2007, 05:15:53 PM »
The spinoffs take place in the same story arc as the last canon game (ie: Super Mario Kart happening after the events of Super Mario World).

That's always been my take on it, anyway. Unless a game or spinoff says "this happened before this game"

You get me? :)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #1351 on: August 22, 2007, 05:55:24 PM »
Does any game say that, though?

I guess the Yoshi's Islands.

ADL

« Reply #1352 on: August 24, 2007, 10:00:37 AM »
Well I think  your probobly right.

PS Its not just a game its a show

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #1353 on: September 07, 2007, 09:31:17 PM »
I think the Mario Party games could probably be disregarded, seeing as Mario Party 6's intro says it takes place in "Mario Party Land." However, if we allow for games to be wherever we want on the timeline (as we already have with Yoshi's Island), then the Party and other spin-off games could be set many years after the main games. For example, maybe after Bowser stole the Music Keys in DDR:MM, no one took him seriously anymore, and he no longer had any real power, and was reduced to crashing Mario's parties.

This is also a possible explanation for Baby Mario and Baby Luigi showing up in the spin-off's: After all the main games (including future ones for many years to come) Mario and Luigi married Peach and Daisy, respectively, and had kids.

I don't think the spin-off games necessarily have to be set after the main games they reference, because the places still exist later. (Mario Kart DS proved this by bringing back courses from all the other Mario Karts and having new ones set in SMB 3 and LM. Of course, then we'd have to deal with the fact that the haunted mansion actually disappeared as soon as Luigi left it, leaving absolutely no time to race around it, so it's probably best to approach the spin-off games the same way things are dealt with in the official Star Wars canon: anything that contradicts higher-level material (in this case, the real games) is disregarded, while everything else is canon until higher canon contradicts it.)
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #1354 on: September 07, 2007, 09:56:02 PM »
This is also a possible explanation for Baby Mario and Baby Luigi showing up in the spin-off's: After all the main games (including future ones for many years to come) Mario and Luigi married Peach and Daisy, respectively, and had kids.
Both M&LPiT and Yoshi's Island DS lead one to suggest time travel is the reason why they appear.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #1355 on: September 07, 2007, 10:09:31 PM »
Possible, but it seems rather ridiculous that Mario and Luigi would go to the trouble of going back in time and bringing their baby selves into the present for no other reason than to play violent sports with them, all the while risking deadly paradoxes. However, since the games never say that they're Mario and Luigi's kids (and it would still be ridiculous for them to involve their kids in violent sports), both ideas are in violation of Occam's Razor. So logically, they're actually not in the games at all.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #1356 on: September 07, 2007, 10:15:39 PM »
Sorry to derail the topic just a bit, but what is Occam's Razor?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #1357 on: September 08, 2007, 01:08:07 AM »
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #1358 on: September 08, 2007, 07:12:23 AM »
M&LPiT has evidence that the babies are in possession of E. Gadd's time machine (and that time holes have opened up in the castle), so they can visit at any time and do what they please. Plus, the self-consistency principle states that the babies can never be gravely injured (as Mario and Luigi never seem to change despite the babies' actions), so no paradoxes can occur because Mario and Luigi apparently had played sports with their older selves sometime in their lives. Since they're infants, the adults don't remember it well enough to predict what will happen (evidenced in M&LPiT: the older brothers had no memory of the real secret behind the Cobalt Star, in spite of that they had seen it happen when they were babies).

CrossEyed7

« Reply #1359 on: September 27, 2007, 05:46:27 PM »
So I'm working on a map of the Mushroom World right now... I think I've got SMRPG and PM combined pretty decently. I'm annoyed though, because the collage of map screens from SMBDX that Deezer made and put in one of the mailbags isn't loading, not even on the Wayback Machine. Anyone else have one, or a copy of the original?
(Also, I'll post a rough copy of the map when I get my scanner hooked up. And if I don't get my scanner hooked up within a reasonable time frame, I'll try to convey the basic layout in MSPaint.)

« Reply #1360 on: September 28, 2007, 05:23:38 PM »
Well, one thing is important: Do you believe the places of PM2 are in the Mushroom Kingdom? I do.
OH, NO! There goes Tokyo! GO, GO GODZILLA!
------
Yinzers Rule!

« Reply #1361 on: September 28, 2007, 05:40:33 PM »
I'm not sure about that... most of the Mario games that show the map of the Mushroom Kingdom show it as a island/continent. I think Rogueport's north of The Mushroom Kingdom, but there aren't any supporting evidences...

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #1362 on: September 28, 2007, 07:22:43 PM »
It could be true, in the start while you see the game through Mario's eyes the ship is going north.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #1363 on: September 28, 2007, 10:37:04 PM »
Wouldn't it look like that from any direction since you're seeing it through Mario's eyes?

I've always pictured Rogueport and such being to the left (west) of the area visited in Paper Mario, but there's no definite way to know.
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

« Reply #1364 on: September 29, 2007, 08:42:35 AM »
Well, some people have said it isn't in the Mushroom Kingdom, but Peach's Letter says she is making a stop there during her tour of the Mushroom Kingdom. Why would she stop there on a voyage of the Mushroom kingdom if it wasn't in the Mushroom Kingdom?
OH, NO! There goes Tokyo! GO, GO GODZILLA!
------
Yinzers Rule!

Print