Poll

What's better? Being able to play as Yoshi, or being able to ride him?

Play
Ride
Print

Author Topic: Yoshi: Playable or ridable?  (Read 8480 times)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« on: September 02, 2007, 06:31:45 PM »
This is a pretty straightforward poll. Do you like it better when you can play as Yoshi, or when you can play as another character riding him?
While there are things you can do as Mario on Yoshi that you can't do as either... I may have to go with playing as him. I'm thinking of Super Mario 64 DS. Riding Yoshi in it just wouldn't have been as nice as playing as him.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 06:36:27 PM »
I like it better when you can play Yoshi because you can shoot eggs and swallow enemies.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 06:38:34 PM »
It's better to play as him since he doesn't go running off into a pit when an enemy hits him.

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 07:37:16 PM »
Are there any 3D games where you can ride him?
"it's always the present"

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 07:39:13 PM »
Super Mario Sunshine.
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 07:40:10 PM »
Oh right. Is that all?
"it's always the present"

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 07:48:06 PM »
Yeah.
Riding him in Sunshine was pretty cool, but glitchy. Very very glitchy. And I don't know how much I like the idea of Yoshi dissolving in water. Or spitting up endless juice. Or dying after a few minutes without fruit. Or not appearing in green. Other than these stupid things, riding Yoshi worked well in 3-D. I hope he's in Galaxy...
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 07:51:38 PM »
I'd rather play as Yoshi. He's fun to ride, but he's got some cool individual moves.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 07:58:36 PM »
I rather enjoy Yoshi more when I'm riding him. I don't know, something about Yoshi being playable just doesn't feel right to me (unless it's a Yoshi's Island situation).

I know this is very narrow minded, but I just don't understand how a character that started out more or less as a power up became so famous. You hit a box and he hatches. I liked how different colored shells affected him, or even what color he was affecting what powers he got with the shells, but over all, it was more fun when Yoshi wasn't saying things like "Bling-HOP" or "Huuunnngggghhh".

I liked Yoshi better when he was the noble steed of the Mario series.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 08:14:24 PM »
I usually like to play as Yoshi more then ride him. In most of the time you can play as him, he can do a flutter jump. I'd don't know if you can flutter jump in SMS, since it's a long time since I played that game. Besides, Yoshi was pretty useless in SMS. He's only good for a handful of missions, has to constantly eat fruit to live and can't go in water. It just feels gimmicky :(.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2007, 08:25:27 PM »
With his overlooked rocket-spin jump he is far from worthless.
Toad, one thing that fills my eyes with fire, my blood with hot soup, and my mouth with straight, un-amused seriousness is when Yoshi is called a power-up. How do you think it'd be if everyone else in the world who ate at the Burger King where you worked called you a power-up because, while not absolutely and directly necessary, you make their mission a tad easier?
It's YOUR problem!

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2007, 09:28:19 PM »
I think the "dying in water" Yoshi's may have come from the ole' SMW cartoon (GOOD YTP source nowadays)
Where in the first episode, Yoshi has aquaphobia, but what's odd that in the last episode Yoshi has no trouble swimming through water with Mama Luigi.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2007, 09:38:29 PM »
It more likely comes from them not being able to work out using Yoshi underwater before it was time to release the game.
That was a joke.

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2007, 09:50:21 PM »
I'm always finding myself in need of transportation, so riding Yoshi would be good for me.

Well, that's in real life, if Yoshi were real. I suppose in video games I choose riding him again, like in SMW. He always gave you a nice advantage somehow. But, there is Yoshi's Island, my favorite SNES game... I still think I'd rather ride him, both in-game and, if it were possible, in real life.
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2007, 09:57:37 PM »
With his overlooked rocket-spin jump he is far from worthless.
Toad, one thing that fills my eyes with fire, my blood with hot soup, and my mouth with straight, un-amused seriousness is when Yoshi is called a power-up. How do you think it'd be if everyone else in the world who ate at the Burger King where you worked called you a power-up because, while not absolutely and directly necessary, you make their mission a tad easier?

Er.. sorry. Didn't mean to offend. Of course I wouldn't like that.. -_-;;;;

It's just that I don't understand why Nintendo chose him over Toad, or why they continue to keep choosing other characters to re-invent instead of Toad. I don't know how many games in the last 15 years or so I've seen that've had DK's name on the cover, and the slogan saying that DK's been re-invented or introduced..

Not that Yoshi isn't a great character, it's just that they've got this one character that seems to be just sitting around, asking to be re-made/re-invented/re-introduced, and yet they don't. Peach has been in more adventures than Toad. It's kind of sad to me..

Yoshi is cool and all when he's not making those noises that Yoshi's Story gave him. I absolutley loved Yoshi's character in Paper Mario 2.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Print