Poll

Should American citizens have the right to burn the flag in protest?

Yes
No
Print

Author Topic: American Flag  (Read 25543 times)

fuzzy

• Banned
« on: July 04, 2006, 06:52:42 PM »
What do you think?
"If you want to make enemies, try to change something."--Woodrow Wilson

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 07:15:03 PM »
It is our right. The correct way to get rid of a flag is to burn it.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 09:03:10 PM »
I don't see why everyone's like "OMG TEH FLAG TOUCED THE GROND WE HAF 2 BRUN IT!!!11111111111!!!!" Come on, even if it got a little bit of dirt on it you can rub/wash it off. Wouldn't that symbolize "You can't put us down with a little bit of that. We get back up." while burning the flag because it got a little dirty would symbolize "Oh no, we're hit... everything is over..."
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 09:17:27 PM »
The flag burning ceremony should actually be a flag retiring ceremony. It is normally used for flags that have many large tears in them and/or are extremely dirty/worn out. If done respectfully, there really should be no reason for the controversy. I don't know what the details of the controversy are exactly, but normally during the ceremony the retired flag is replaced by a brand spanking new one, so as far as I'm concerned, no big.

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 09:24:39 PM »
Um, if they'd like to, sure. I don't see how it'd actually hurt anyone physically. If it hurts people emotionally, I usually tell them that people don't HAVE to like the country (assuming they think that burning the flag is figuratively/literally hurting the country). Seeing as on TV when they're burning the flag, chances are they don't even live in the country, so I'd say it's alright for them to burn the flag if they want to.

I pity anyone after this post who says I sicken them.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 10:17:43 PM »
First off Vid, your opinion doesn't sicken me. Opinions are like noses, everyone has them and they're all different.
Anyway, flag burning is wrong to me. First of all, you have to love america. America is the reason why you are sitting at your computer relaxing and loving life. If you don't like America, then why are you here? The flag symbolizes America and what it stands for. Letting a flag hit the ground is a lot less harsh than burning it, so why do people feel that they need to it. If a flag is old, recycle it! AS proud as most americans are, they should go through a lot of flags that could be put to other uses. Flag burning is disrespectful and dishonorable. It's like burning a bald eagle or the white house.

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 11:52:30 PM »
If flag burning were illegal, then our freedom would be taken away by the symbol of freedom. Vote yes.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 11:56:11 PM »
If America were truly free, why would we have drafts?

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 12:04:15 AM »
It's nothing like burning a bald eagle or the White House.  If you love America, you love freedom of expression.  If you're limited in how you can express yourself, then where is that freedom you claim to love?  You can detest the action, but that doesn't mean an action doing no direct harm to others should be illegal.  That's just hypocrisy.
i.e.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

And using a drafts excuse is lame... two wrongs don't make a right.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 12:14:54 AM »
Yes. As long as the event isn't a fire hazard.
~I.S.~

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 01:49:02 AM »
If people are attacking us and no one will join the army, we're dead.

If people are burning the flag and no one stops them... we're annoyed?

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2006, 08:32:24 AM »
I like how Insane Steve put it.  And despite how well that Simpsons song was, I still think burning a flag isn't that big of a deal that there should be a law against it.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2006, 11:10:24 AM »
The flag represents what our ancestors stood for and fought for. It grew up along with freedom and shouldn't be the victim of it.

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2006, 11:55:22 AM »
I hate to say is solidmushroom, but they stood up so we could have that freedom. If you want to hate America, burn the flag or whatever, that's your right. You have to let them choose. You can disagree with them, but you can't take away that right.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2006, 02:35:18 PM »
If you're a true american you also believe in free speech. Symbolic Speech for the most part, is covered under the 1st amendment. Therefore flag burning is alright, but burning your draft card, for example, is not. The Flag has no impact of government function or society, the draft card does.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Print