Print

Author Topic: Nintendo Power Rates Metroid Prime 3: Corruption a Perfect Score  (Read 10330 times)

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« on: August 23, 2007, 07:14:16 PM »
That's right. The master writers in Nintendo Power rated Metroid Prime 3: Corruption for Wii a perfect 10/10 score in the latest issue of the gaming magazine.. In the review, Chris Shepperd mentions how the "...stunning visuals and immersive gameplay of [Metroid Prime 3: Corruption] prove that the Wii is ready for the mainstream gamer. Deeply enjoyable and satisfying, this is the title that gamers have been waiting for." The third installment of the Metroid Prime series is available Tuesday, August 28th, 2007.

Source: Mr. Melee's Nintendo Power, Volume 220.
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 07:53:20 PM »
Nintendo power giving one of their own games a perfect score!? It can't be :O!

Well, I think we saw this coming. But correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the first game they've ever given a perfect score to since they switched to rating games out 10 instead of 5?
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 08:17:54 PM »
Nintendo Power's reviews are not to be trusted.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 08:51:46 PM »
I'm going to get it, anyway.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 09:09:29 PM »
Regardless of NP's trustworthiness, I'm sure the score is accurate knowing Retro! :D

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 06:41:07 PM »
Nintendo power giving one of their own games a perfect score!? It can't be :O!

Well, I think we saw this coming. But correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the first game they've ever given a perfect score to since they switched to rating games out 10 instead of 5?

I'm pretty sure Resident Evil 4 (The GCN version) had the honor of receiving the first 10.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 11:14:46 AM »
I don't really listen to ratings, but I love the Metroid series! Since this brang back the stackable gun system, this will probably be one of the best Metroid games!
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 03:12:28 PM »
brang

Seriously, though, I don't trust any reviewer's scores (sometimes not even my own). However, the issue of Nintendo Power this review is in also has a Geometry Wars Galaxies poster, so it's okay. Also, since I'm not going to be able to play MP3 any time soon...

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 06:16:00 PM »

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 08:16:14 PM »
...And not Twilight Princess? That takes serious balls (but the game's gonna seriously rock anyway... when I get it!!!).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 12:09:24 PM »
Got it this mornin'. It rocks!

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 10:07:45 PM »
I'm thinking about getting it....but I'm not really a big fan of the Metroid games.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 12:01:51 PM »
Yeah, I got it now. There's a little too much to scan, and it occastionally feels kinda like one of those shooting gallery-type games you always see on the Wii/DS, but, hey, what do I know, I haven't even played it for an hour.

On a lesser note... ooh, someone said "the D word" in a Nintendo game!

Boo Dudley

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007, 11:27:14 PM »
Yeah I know... I was all gonna say "Hey none of youse guys should play this 'cause it could burn your virgin ears and make your head asplode"

But it was already out there.
Yeah, now that I've gotten into it, the initial enthusiasm has died a little. The control scheme and layout are very similar to Hunters'. The execution feels alot like Fusion's (Some one ordering you where to go and and such)
And the intro felt very DOOM3/Halo-ish, very unnerving.
Oh, and by the way,*SPOILER* When you beat the giant golem boss, Samus THROWS UP! Very unexpected, Very not Nintendo.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2007, 12:01:26 AM »
I'm thinking of getting it. My biggest discouragement is the lack of any Metroid games under my belt (I'm talking about story lines, not control experience). I can take care of that later, I guess. I started Zelda late, too--just two years ago did I get Ocarina of Time.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2007, 08:37:23 PM »
Metroids actually fit together completely cohesively, though, so I'd really recommend playing the Primes in order. The traditional 2D line doesn't matter quite so much (there is usually a plot surprise per game though) but the 3 Primes are a direct story (especially if the 100% endings are taken into account).

Zeldas are all mostly completely unrelated so play them in whatever order!

P.S. This game is Piiiimp. Basic and Standard controls are horrible, but Advanced is like the best control of any game ever.

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2007, 09:35:23 PM »
Metroids actually fit together completely cohesively, though, so I'd really recommend playing the Primes in order. The traditional 2D line doesn't matter quite so much (there is usually a plot surprise per game though) but the 3 Primes are a direct story (especially if the 100% endings are taken into account).

Zeldas are all mostly completely unrelated so play them in whatever order!

P.S. This game is Piiiimp. Basic and Standard controls are horrible, but Advanced is like the best control of any game ever.
Well, they DID say in the manual that veterans of FPS games should choose the Advanced sensitivity.

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2007, 10:25:45 PM »
Yes, because gimped control will sure help a noob.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2007, 02:01:22 AM »
Okay, fine. I'll kill three stones with one bird and look for Prime.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2007, 11:16:36 AM »
So it looks like people are saying that there are secret messages from Iwata and Miyamoto (at least) found by inputting certain combinations into the ship terminal.

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2007, 12:35:51 AM »
So it looks like people are saying that there are secret messages from Iwata and Miyamoto (at least) found by inputting certain combinations into the ship terminal.

I came across one by accident myself. I found the fact that I came across it to be humorous.

Sqrt2

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2007, 07:36:55 AM »
I usually take any reviews with a pinch of salt. Especially if it's a Mario or Zelda game (which get consistently high scores ~90% or so).
AA fanboy and proud!

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2007, 10:18:18 AM »
Nintendo power giving one of their own games

Oi. For the last time, Nintendo Power is run by editors, not the NOA staff themselves.

silverstarman

• Chock full of misinformation
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2007, 07:06:06 PM »
It looks good, but I don't think it deserves a perfect 10.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2007, 06:12:33 PM »
Oi. For the last time, Nintendo Power is run by editors, not the NOA staff themselves.
As of next month, it's being published by "Future US". As if it wasn't already a piece of dukar when NoA's people themselves were making it.

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2007, 07:14:45 PM »
Hey now, while the magazine is extremely biased, I still enjoy reading it. The Pulse section is always filled with extremely wishful thinking and lapses in judgment. Not to mention they have sections dedicated to past games and interviews with famous people in the Video Game industry.

On a slightly related note, I can't believe Fire Emblem 10's subtitle was changed from Goddess of Dawn to Radiant Dawn. The entire thing seems so pointless, especially since it isn't the '80s anymore.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2007, 11:31:29 PM »
No reason to knock Future US until they actually release an issue.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2007, 11:20:21 AM »
It's fun to read (unlike it had been a few years ago) and has previews and whatnot that I enjoy. Anyway, the publishing change doesn't mean that different people will be writing it, guys... what the heck.
That was a joke.

matto

• from America's hatto
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2007, 09:54:46 AM »
I my honest opinion, NP got a lot better when Reggie came along. Also, Nintendo isn't biased on their own games. They gave Wario: Master Of Disguise a 6.5 or something. Is that biased? Um, no, it's not. Said game has gotten this score from other publications.

This could be argueable in... 2002-03, but that's just me. =/
Canada, eh? '87

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2007, 07:15:04 PM »
I don't think they're (completely) biased, they just have a really sucky editor, or whoever. Ever since this "new look" of theirs, they've had at least 50 factual and grammatical errors (I counted).

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2007, 05:08:49 PM »
Yeah, but the overall quality of the magazine has skyrocketed compared to a few years ago.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2007, 11:40:39 AM »
Yeah, I can agree with you on that, assuming you mean that they no longer have cover articles on The Jungle Book for GBC, but I still can't get over the awkwardness of a magazine that's tossing around the word "badass" on one page and giving Pokemon Battle Revolution a 9.0 on the next.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2007, 05:11:44 PM »
I mean it definitely isn't as badly-written as when it was first revamped the latest time, and also they have interesting articles and features now.
That was a joke.

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2007, 02:41:47 PM »
Oh, I'm seriously compellled to play through Corruption a third time.

I have not stated it here, but since mid-September, I played through the entire Metroid Prime series after completing Corruption the first time. It took me about a week and a half to complete Prime, a bit less than a week to complete Hunters, another week and a half to complete Echoes, and another week and a half to complete Corruption.

I might kick it into high gear and choose a harder difficulty this time, though...

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2007, 04:51:51 PM »
I beat it a third time to get 100%.

Oh! And I like how the scan articles sound more official, like they did in MP1. The scans in Metroid Prime 2, as I remarked once, looks like some sort of 15-year-old Metroid geek wrote them.

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2007, 05:54:24 PM »
Um I got 100% the first time I completed it. ._.

I sent LD a picture of the stats to prove it.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2007, 08:15:02 PM »
Don't give me that "um." I wasn't interested in getting every single scan the first time through.

(the second time, of course, I managed to miss a one-time scan)

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2007, 08:42:51 PM »
Well I meant 100% in terms of pickups. I know I didn't get every scan, because the Shriekbats are 90% more surprising than they were in the previous titles.

I liked how they added that whole part that added missed pickups on the map, though. I definitely feel they did not ruin the game by adding that in.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2007, 08:52:01 PM »
Oh, you should have said that the first time!

Yeah, the marks on the maps made maps much more useful.

Boo Dudley

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2007, 09:20:46 AM »
I've scanned everything I could and I still have about six missing.... Argh

Print