Poll

Which of the following Mario platformers is your favorite?

Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Print

Author Topic: SMB3 VS. SMW  (Read 36770 times)

Sqrt2

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 05:59:19 PM »
SMB3 due to the Hammer Bros. suit and Kuribo's Shoe.

Oh, and the P-wing as well.
AA fanboy and proud!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 07:08:02 PM »
I suck at both, but SMW was my first Mario game.  And Yoshi pretty much drew me in to the games
Regards, Uncle Dolan

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 08:21:57 PM »
Doesn't it seem like, with Yoshi's Island 1, Nintendo was trying to shove every new SNES innovation in your face before getting to the stuff from previous Mario games?
Now that you mention it, true, but name one Nintendo series that doesn't do something like that when it's its first time on a console with some radical new abilities.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 12:32:39 AM »
True, but at least SMW, SM64 and SMG did it right.  In my opinion, Super Mario 64 is one of the best Mario games, if not the best, to date.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 02:55:36 AM »
Super Mario World. Mostly because of Yoshi. But also because of the great graphics, Cape Mario, seeing the Koopa Kids in 16-bit, and the feeling of an even bigger adventure. And even more secrets. Can't forget Star Road and the Special World.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2009, 04:03:41 AM »
Smb3, definately. Its a lot harder, mario world is a cakewalk.

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2009, 01:29:36 PM »
Dang it, after playing SMB3 for three hours straight Friday night, I almost want to take back my vote for SMW.  I can't really decide, because the fact is, all of the original SMB platformers were SO. DANG. AMAZING.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2009, 08:43:24 AM »
I loved the SMB3 Power-ups and suits, but I'm still deciding because SMW gives me the greatest nostalgia, probably because it was the first Mario game I ever played, the first SNES game I ever played, and the second video game that I ever played overall. The first was this Genesis game when I was 1. I only remember Goofy bouncing on and off a mushroom with a "boing" sound effect.
To think, the first time I ever ACTUALLY played a game (pressing the buttons and memorizing their functions) was when I was THREE.
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2009, 04:50:43 PM »
Same here. My brother started teaching me how to play my first game ever: SMB when I was just about to turn 3.
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2009, 07:37:10 AM »
Slight edge to SMB3 for me, maybe with a nostalgia filter applied. I remember playing SMB3 with my cousins so very long ago. (So what if it was 1993.) That endgame music still makes me tear up a little, 16 years later. On an emulator.

I never had an SNES because mom kept saying "you have a NES, it still works" and wouldn't buy me the SNES. Or the N64. Or even a Game Boy. I do have a vague recollection of seeing SMW's 1-2 on an SNES set up for demo purposes at Kmart. Wow, that was a long time ago too!

My childhood! Where has it gone?

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2009, 09:40:14 AM »
SMB 3 is definitely my favorite, that was the question after all, wasn't it? It was the first video game that I ever seriously played and it was certainly the first one that I ever beat. I didn't have access to an SNES, so I wasn't able to get my hands on SMW until I was about 13. By that time, the sentimental value of SMB3 had already pushed it way high on my "favorite" game list.

Now, which game is better? I'm not sure. There are some great elements to each game, but what does one weigh as most important, innovation, perfection, controls? SMB3 brought the flight element into a Mario game in such a cool way. SMW took a more traditional flying approach with the cape, and I always thought that the cape was super lame compared to all the other ways Mario has taken flight (Tanooki Suit, Leaf, Wing Cap, etc.). On the other hand, I really enjoy SMW's music, possibly even more so than SMB3. I'm probably not qualified to decide what game is better, but those are some of my thoughts.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2009, 05:17:30 PM »
A bit off topic, but I just wanted to add that I love how New Super Mario Bros. Wii incorporates my favorite elements from both games.

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2009, 05:00:55 PM »
I'm going with SMW for me. It was my second Mario game and first platformer I owned. Apparently, as I remember it, I was like 6 when I beat it. I remember clearly playing it on my GBA (screw me for being young, but I swear I played it all of the time on my neighbor's SNES before and after I owned it) when I was 7, trying to max out my lives to x999, and I did. So yes, the game had to be easy. Though there were a lot of secret levels that totally boggled my mind of how my friend got them.  I never got that impression from SMB3. SMB3 was also a good game, but it didn't have that charm that SMW did, for me.

And before I got nuked for being young, I actually have a SNES with a SMW game, but I got it long after I got it for GBA.

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2009, 11:15:15 PM »
I like Super Mario world better because A. Yoshi is the best power up ever and B. it has in my opinion the best music in any Mario game ever. I remember the first time I beat the game I was like 8 years old and the ending theme just blew me away.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 01:54:20 PM by pacmancdi »

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2010, 02:04:55 PM »
Here's my comparison:

SMB3: (My pick) Eight worlds with numerous levels full of fun. Power-ups are Mushroom, Fire Flower, Leaf, Star, Tanooki, Hammer, Frog, and Goombas Shoe. Two Remakes on the SNES and GBA (I like SMA4 better). Minigames and Mushroom Houses to win power-ups. Tons of fun.

SMW: 96 levels with some fun levels and some hard ones. Power-ups are Mushroom, Fire Flower, Cape, and Star. One remake on GBA (SMA2) No minigames. A hidden level called "TOP SECRET AREA" that obviously no one but me believes (it IS real, I tried it.) Fun for a Mario Expert.

Print