Print

Author Topic: Vocal Hypocrisy  (Read 13169 times)

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 10:03:30 AM »
Even in Mario Sunshine, EVERYONE talked, except for Mario. Its CRAZY!

Incorrect. He speaks in the Japanese version of the game around the time of the airplane scene including, "Looks like a giant [unintelligible]", and, "Looks-a like-a Mario's gonna have to find a job!"

I've always wondered why people say Mario talking would destroy the very fabric of Mario games... like it's some desecration or something. Or, they believe that all proponents of Mario talking would automatically mean that they want him to just jabber on and on or whatever.

I've said it many times before, and I'll say it again. Nintendo needs to stop their "silent protagonist" crap. I mean, come on, people say it's tradition, but he talked in the Japanese version of Sunshine and not our version. Nintendo broke their own [darn] "tradition." Having Mario speak a complete sentence every now and again would be a VERY welcome addition to Mario games. You can't sit there and tell me that Mario has nothing on his mind. Everyone else, including his brother, has crap to say all the time. Also, Mario talks a ton in the Gamecube sports games. Transfer it over to the epic adventure games without screwing it up! Come on Nintendo, you're a big boy now... you can do it.

By the time Nintendo decides to have Mario speak more, Martinet will probably already have passed away.
Formerly quite reasonable.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 01:22:22 PM »
Exactly.
I agree completely, which is ironic, as her voice was a last-minute addition, and she was voiced by Leslie Swan, who generally works in localization, for the only time (IIRC) in all of Mario history.
She was Peach in a couple of other N64 games, and she re-recorded her lines for SM64DS.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 02:28:34 PM »
"Looks-a like-a Mario's gonna have to find a job!"
For a second I thought it said "Looks-a like-a Mario's gonna have to JUMP!!" Which would totally work.

By the time Nintendo decides to have Mario speak more, Martinet will probably already have passed away.
Well, at least then they'll have no choice but to find someone who can give Mario a deeper voice for once. There's always been this thought at the back of my mind that Mario's voice is too high. I mean, it's not so high as to clearly not match the character, but it just seemed like a different voice could be more appropriate. Luigi's voice seems to be at the right pitch.
You didn't say wot wot.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 09:38:32 PM »
Luigi's voice has run the gamet of tone... which has been very annoying to say the least.

He had a deeper tone in the N64 sports games, the one I liked the most. I dunno why they decided to change it.

He had a lighter, but still acceptable voice in the GCN sports game. That's the one that should be 100% consistent, if it has to be that voice. For some reason though, it keeps changing slightly from game to game.

In Brawl, he had the most disappointing voice which is the one Nintendo likes to use now. It was the wimpiest voice Nintendo could've asked Martinet to voice act for. It wasn't that prevalent in Galaxy, but it still had way too many hints towards his new style of complete and utter wimpiness.

It's like Martinet doesn't even care to voice Luigi. Notice that he only does the You Numbah One/Waaaario Eeeerrggh/Everbody cheating but Waluigi/Awww Baby Mario when asked, and forgets Luigi. I watched an interview where he was talking about how he loved voicing the characters, then went into character naturally voicing the aforementioned with enthusiasm, then he just threw in a weak "ahhh Luigi" at the end that didn't even remotely sound like Luigi. He never mentions Luigi in his interviews, as far as I know.

The only place that he did voice Luigi was in that Animal Crossing video where he's playing along with other people. Now that's what I like to hear.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 12:04:30 PM »
Yeah. His voice was seriously inconsistent in the N64 games. Deep in the sports games, high-pitched in the Mario Partys, and a speed-up version of Mario in SSB. It was a bit annoying which is a tad bit ironic seeing it was the N64 games (more specifically, MP1) that made me starting liking Luigi to begin with.

I wasn't aware of that stuff with Martinet though. Hmm.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2010, 10:25:49 PM »
Incorrect. He speaks in the Japanese version of the game around the time of the airplane scene including, "Looks like a giant [unintelligible]", and, "Looks-a like-a Mario's gonna have to find a job!"

Can someone find this for me and link me? I can't find it on Youtube.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 10:14:47 AM »
Can someone find this for me and link me? I can't find it on Youtube.

NintendoExpert89 captured the clip, I believe, so ask him, but I doubt he's around. I think he's still on my AIM list, so I'll ask him.

Oh wait, he sent me the clip so I could have a listen myself. I'd have to dig around to find it.

Update as of 10 seconds ago within this post: found it. See if this attachment works.

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010, 11:02:03 PM »
NintendoExpert89 captured the clip, I believe, so ask him, but I doubt he's around. I think he's still on my AIM list, so I'll ask him.

Oh wait, he sent me the clip so I could have a listen myself. I'd have to dig around to find it.

Update as of 10 seconds ago within this post: found it. See if this attachment works.
\

It works, and it is amazing. I wonder why they took it out. :/

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2010, 07:58:13 AM »
I am equally in awe and confused.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2010, 07:41:54 PM »
Heh, that's a cute clip, Trainman.  Mario and Toadsworth chatting in the background.  I'm surprised it's in English though; isn't this in the Japanese version?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2010, 08:35:28 PM »
There isn't any Japanese dialogue ever.
That was a joke.

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2010, 12:40:43 PM »
...ok, that's it, we're burning down the NOA building. There is NO reason they should have taken that out. That was great.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2010, 04:41:06 PM »
They also took out a clip of Mario making a sound when you do the dive thing, because it sort of sounded like Mario was saying "F*ck you".

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2010, 11:29:04 PM »

Did you take down the attachment? I can't seem to find it.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2010, 01:35:42 PM »
You have to login to see it.

Print